SW-Motech/Givi E21 fit issue - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW-Motech/Givi E21 fit issue

Got my SW-Motech quick lock side racks put on today. Pretty easy and straight forward process. I put the Givi adapter bits on the rack, and then put my Givi E21 bags on them. I'm noticing two issues, and I was wondering if anyone else has run into them. The biggest problem is the bags are rather hard to put on and take off. In fact, it's impossible to get them on or off with the lid closed. The red button depresses, but ultimately does nothing. I have to open the lid, and press the red block inside for it to go on/off. The lid also doesn't close easily when the bag is on the bike. Sitting on the ground it closes fine, but on the bike, the lid doesn't line up with the bottom part of the bag, and I have to push the lid towards the bike before it'll close. The only thing I can think of that would cause this is the two rubber bumpers that attach to the rack seem to put a bit of pressure on the bag before the locking part engages, and maybe they're throwing things out of alignment. Anyone else have a fix for this before I start grinding down the bumpers?

Second problem is minor. The left rack holds the bags tightly in place, but the right one allows some wiggle at the bottom, as if the two pegs down there are too low to nest in the v-shaped slots firmly. This is the case with either bag, so i know it's something with the rack. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 10:54 AM

I just put the exact setup on my 2011 a while ago and have the same issue but since I will rarely be taking them off, I figure I will just open the lid and push the release from the inside. I thought it was just my luck when I couldn't snap them on or off as the latching mechanism was so tight. If I didn't like them so much I would probably return them but they are perfect for me.
As for the lid closing, mine are very close so I am just in the habit of giving the lid a little pull outwards as I am closing it while holding the key. Mine is only off by a fraction of an inch so it is okay.
Hope you get it solved, sorry I couldn't offer any help.

2013 Versys1000
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 04:50 PM

Im having exactly the same issues with my new E21s.
The little orange button just does push the latch mech. down far enough to release the bags and I must push the lid toward the bike to get them to close.
Im very impressed with my SWMotech racks but the little Givi E21s leave alot to be desired. I say that fully understanding that they are "economy" bags. I expect them to be made cheaply with thin plastic and plastic latch parts but Im bothered that the plastic parts dont even work right out of the box.
I would like to know if the bad release button is an E21 issue or is it just an issue with my (our) particular set(s) of bags? Anyone else with E21s have the same problem?
If its an E21 issue then returning these wont do anything but extend my grief, if its just my set of luggage that is bad then maybe returning them would do some good.

EDIT: For any future browsers that may have the same issue. I got a chance to work with my SWMotech/Givi E21 combo this evening. I loosened the top adapters and retightened it just a tad (maybe 1/16") higher on the rack. Now I can push the unlocking button and apply a little downward force on the boxes and they will release. Im good with that. All is well in my world now.

Last edited by ray h; 04-08-2012 at 10:01 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 PM

I've had 2 different sets of E-21's and both were a little hard to latch when new but after a few weeks of use and removing them several times they settled in and latch just fine.Give them some time. As for the lids, they are flimsey and require a little push inwards to get them lined up. Over-stuffing makes it even worse but you learn to adjust because the lids won't. Don't be afraid to get aggressive with the E-21's because they are tougher than they feel. I've got Givi racks so I can't comment on the motech's. Break- in periods may vary from bag to bag. Now get out there and get ruff with your bags and report back with your results and if it works out for you maybe we can get Givi to put some "BREAK-IN" stickers on there E-21's
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:25 AM

Garage
I too have Givi E21 and they are difficult to put on and off. I have it mounted on Give universal pannier set, not Monokey and any other. So far it works fine. However taking it off is kinda like hit and miss. Have to turn the key and press down really hard to release it. If not, have to push it in a bit with your knee to loosen it. The Givi E21 does look kinda flimsy compared to the other Givi boxes around, but for that price and purpose, cant complain. Had to carry a faulty car battery once to get it replaced, the side box survived with no issues. I am impressed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode