2 dollar crash bars - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2 dollar crash bars

Well these are functional mods but I'm pretty sure they will not make my bike any faster. So I think this is the correct mods forum for crash bars and racks.

I'm finally making some good progress on my new touring machine. Was hoping to do suspension mods but money got too tight for that. Maybe next year.

For now some scrap welded together will keep me buisy.

8 bucks in scrap steel/Alum

The big fries sign will hopefully morph into an Alum top box. For now I've just been working with the steel.

Here is the top rack, with an Alum plate that will serve as a base for a top box, or any other contraption I may wantt on there (bike rack for sure)

No Adv bike is complete with out crash bars. I figure I used 2 bucks worth of steel on these. Not the prettiest but i'm confident they will be functional. I'll find out eventually.

As you can see they are no painted yet but that should be taken care of by tomorrow. Then its back to domestic dutis of house cleaning and litter box emptying. Get my chores done soon enough I can start workin on that top box. Grand scheme is to have the top box and side cases made by spring so I can go on some good long rides with lots of junk in my trunk. I'll keepeveryon posted on how things go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 01:13 PM

How about a close up of your attachment points? I've been planning on building my own but haven't got to it yet.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Here you go. I think they are the same as SWmotec and Givi as far as the lower mounting locations. The uppers may differ some. I know I added a 3rd point that the other don't have.

The left side I used the lower rear most engine mount. Its a long, 10mm bolt. It goes in from the left with the nut on the right side. I reversted it so now the nut is on the left side side. I made a "C" with some plate steel and then boxed the upper side of it with sheet metal for a little extra stiffness. The nut can be reached from under the bike.

The righ side is supper simple. There is a steel butt welded end on a structural part of the frame. Conveniently it is already drilled and threaded. Just remove the little black plug and find a bolt. I think its an M6.

The upper mounts are the same on both sides. Just some U bolts and or exhaust clamps with a square plate welded to them to give a base for the tubes to weld to. With two points at the top the bars are very rigid.

I'll likely attached some highway pegs. Unless the bars themselves are comfortable enough without pegs stickin out the side. I also left a 60mm long "horn" at the top of the front vertical tube to give a little extra radiator protection. Hopefully they are not needed.
Making the beds was supper easy. Used a tubing bender from Harbour freight. I think it was on sale for 60 bucks. http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-t...der-38471.html The only down side is the bends are compresion bends so they are not too pretty. If one was very motivated they could pack the tube with sand (and cap the ends) to do a mandrel bend. I'm not that motivated. If I was that concerned with looks I wouldn't be riding a versys

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring919 View Post
If I was that concerned with looks I wouldn't be riding a versys
so you mean to say that Versys aint a looker? i rrrraaagggggeeee!!!!

LOL just joking. anyway +1 for the weld works. i just dont have the skill to do it. heck i dont even have the skill with much tools anyway, except the one on me.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks andrewhtf. I'm very happy wit how they turned out.

One thin to think about though. For those that don't have the tools or skills. The tools pay for themselves pretty quickly so that comes out in a wash. And can start paying back if you do work for others. And as for the skills. Welding classes are offered at most colleges. Especially comunity colleges as 1 week or several month classes. Even local tech schools (not sure how that works if you already graduated highschool). Its an investment. At least that is how i rationalize it. Jus something to think about.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
For those that don't have the tools or skills. The tools pay for themselves pretty quickly so that comes out in a wash.
I'm going to have to tell my wife that. I've built four rear racks now that have more than paid for my gas set up I got on craigslist.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks andrewhtf. I'm very happy wit how they turned out.

One thin to think about though. For those that don't have the tools or skills. The tools pay for themselves pretty quickly so that comes out in a wash. And can start paying back if you do work for others. And as for the skills. Welding classes are offered at most colleges. Especially comunity colleges as 1 week or several month classes. Even local tech schools (not sure how that works if you already graduated highschool). Its an investment. At least that is how i rationalize it. Jus something to think about.

Completely agree. I might enrol myself to these type of technical skill training classed once I retire. Looking forward to my early retirement, if that is possible.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Well if you gain the knowledge to make things instead of buy them you could retire early based on your future savings

Good luck convincing the misses of that logic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode