Yet another mirror thread: mirrors that flip out of the way easily. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yet another mirror thread: mirrors that flip out of the way easily.

I've searched this and found countless mirror threads, but don't see quite what I want. My problem with the stock mirrors is that they're wide, and pretty much exactly at pickup/suv mirror height. That part is OK if I could tuck them out of the way quickly, and reposition them just as easily.

My search led to these foldable KTM mirrors. If you have either the 243 or 280mm version I'd love to see pic on your bike. Are they easy to move out of the way, and to reposition?

Search also revealed this inexpensive Emgo mirror. How is it for folding/repositioning? It looks like the KTM mirror would be easier to put back into place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 03:13 AM

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=mirror

I'm pretty sure there's been a thread about such mirrors here.
I haven't been in a situation with the Versys where I wouldn't want to have mirrors.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
That's pretty cool!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
I haven't been in a situation with the Versys where I wouldn't want to have mirrors.
I want mirrors too. Don't want to have to fully "reposition them" after tucking them out of the way, would like something that can easily snap back into place--for example something that can be easily adjusted around a single pivot axis: twist one way for more clearance, twist it back and it's in place.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 08:54 AM

these are out there, but you need there gaurds to mount them http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_...how&ref=Mirror
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
I've searched this and found countless mirror threads, but don't see quite what I want. My problem with the stock mirrors is that they're wide, and pretty much exactly at pickup/suv mirror height. That part is OK if I could tuck them out of the way quickly, and reposition them just as easily.

My search led to these foldable KTM mirrors. If you have either the 243 or 280mm version I'd love to see pic on your bike. Are they easy to move out of the way, and to reposition?

Search also revealed this inexpensive Emgo mirror. How is it for folding/repositioning? It looks like the KTM mirror would be easier to put back into place.

There are times when the old adage "you get what you pay for" holds true and it seems like this might be one of those times.

I'd go for the KTM mirrors over the Emgo. I replaced my stock mirrors with a pair of KTM 990 Super Duke mirrors and am very pleased with them. Though mine don't fold and they weren't cheap, they are high quality and worth the cost, IMHO.

The link Ivan V provided for the Double Take mirrors is interesting as well. They use the same clamping arm that you find on RAM products (in fact, they are RAM clamps & they work very well too). I wouldn't imagine they could be folded quickly though because you would have to loosen and then re-tignten the friction knob - unless you wouldn't mind them flopping around. Probably not!

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 12-24-2011 at 02:56 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Ordered the 243mm KTM mirrors. I'll try to post pics when I get 'em installed.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Here's how the 243mm foldable mirror from the first link in my first post looks compared to the stock mirror. There's a longer 280mm option if you want wider or higher mirrors.

The "boot" at the base of the round mirror itself is bogus: it doesn't bend there. It pivots around each of the 3 axis that are obvious in the photo. It has detents in the movement at the "knee", and to keep the mirror foldable I couldn't tighten that part all the way. On the freeway I noticed slightly more blurring in the foldable mirror vs the stock one. Might blur less than stock if that were fully tightened?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2667.jpg (59.4 KB, 156 views)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 07:49 PM

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Arion;181655]There are times when the old adage "you get what you pay for" holds true and it seems like this might be one of those times.

I'd go for the KTM mirrors over the Emgo. I replaced my stock mirrors with a pair of KTM 990 Super Duke mirrors and am very pleased with them. Though mine don't fold and they weren't cheap, they are high quality and worth the cost, IMHO.

I also recently installed the KTM mirrors after almost three years with the terrible stock mirrors. The guy at the KTM dealer called them Aprilia mirrors but no matter. They attach quickly and easily. They don't move at high speed and there's minimal vibration. Yes, $47 and change for the pair but TOTALLY worth it.

78 IT175
80 TT250
84 XR350
84 XR350
01 XR400
01 WR250
08 VERSYS
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:00 PM

The 'doubletakes' are the defacto folding mirrors.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
they're mirrors and they fold, but they ain't too pretty and i don't have room for all that extra hardware on the bars.
There is no extra hardware on the bars. The mounting studs go where the old mirrors were.

The KTM mirrors are nicer than the Kawi mirrors, I'll grant you that. They look nicer than the ram mount mirrors too.

The ram mount mirror is the best for a folding though.

JMHO

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode