SW Motech crash bar install f%^$ up - bike wouldn't start - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW Motech crash bar install f%^$ up - bike wouldn't start

After installing SW Motech crash bars on my 2012 V, the bike wouldn't start. No initial warning lights but after a few attempts the FI light flashed when attempting to start.

Invader pointed me in the right direction and i thought i'd post some pics for the benefit of unwary should like myself.

The problem was that the mounting bolt had screwed through the sensor wire in the bottom pic and it's insulting conduit.

First view to show general location (the nut from the offending bolt and plastics have been removed)

Closer view to see the damage location. The wires have been unplugged and the conduit partly pulled out.

the busted wire twisted back together before taping up and re-connection.

The bike started first time. Thanks again Invader!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:10 AM

for getting it good and for sharing.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thank god you dint land with a Mysteries problem just like the Mysteries NUT.

Good you got it solved.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begbiie;181285...the busted wire twisted back together before taping up and re-connection.
[IMG
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd426/begbiie/Crash%20Bar%20install%20Wire%20Bust/DSC_9246.jpg[/IMG]

The bike started first time. Thanks again Invader!
SURE hope you soldered that 'twisted' connection...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Just read all my typos - the insulting conduit was pretty funny! I guess the wires need insulating from the engine heat so i made a little pad out of some duct tape and taped over that just to get me going.

I didn't solder as I don't have a solder iron so I just rode around the block a few times to re-charge the battery and to see how the heat would effect my patch up tape.

The bike is having a 'holiday' now while i take my kids up the coast. A solder iron is on my santa list so a better fix will be done for sure!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 10:44 AM

I ordered SW Motech crash bars last night from TT. I'll keep that area in mind when I install them. Thank you for posting this.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode