engine guards to fit 2011 california versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
engine guards to fit 2011 california versys

I've been searching engine guards, and it looks like neither Givi nor H&B will fit a 2011 california model without modifications. I saw someone trimmed a little plastic on what might be an older california bike to mount an H&B guard.

Will a SW Motech guard fit? Someone was claiming this one caused vibration on their bike. Did it do that for you?

if there's a Kawasaki OEM guard, will it fit?

Any other guards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:23 AM

I highly recomend the SW Motech's and it can be done with the Cannister in place but its a tight fit see post below with pics.

These is on a 2007-2009 Versys but the fitment for the 2011 is (i think, dont quote me) the same (2010/11 in video below).

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2155

also see

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=14347

fasteddies post has some pics with mods.

(that being said theres only a small amount of material that needs to be removed to fit the H&B's up, see post below).

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=2627

looks like pics have been removed but info still there.

As for Vibration from what i remember it will only do that if you attempt to apply maximum Torque to the U-clamp which mount to the V's frame. I've had no issues with mine.

Finally a youtube vid of a crash with the SW bars on.

Last edited by sambamboo; 12-20-2011 at 12:34 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I crash tested my own H/B's They came through with flying colors.

IMG_20111127_133820 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_20111127_133900 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_20111127_133911 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:07 AM

Seen at a bike group meet. a one-off custom made add-on bars on top of the Givi engine guards.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I crash tested my own H/B's They came through with flying colors.

IMG_20111127_133820 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_20111127_133900 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_20111127_133911 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Damn! You rammed a BMW?! Hope it wasn't your own car - has to be a lot more expensive to repair the Beemer than your Versys.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

wow, I posted that the day after I got my bike.

Givi claims to the contrary, the engine guards fit a 2011 California model just fine. I got out my Dremel for the canister cover, but didn't need to use it.

Actually I installed the Kappa guards, which I think are Givi guards minus US$40 in price. Thanks, weljo2001 for posting the link to those on ebay!

And as far as "fit just fine", I enhanced 3 of the holes with a drill. I added rubber below the frame clamps. One of the holes I enhanced was on a clamp, and probably wouldn't have been needed without the extra rubber. The other two were the left side guard bolt holes.

The main thing I've noticed is that traffic lights seem easier to trigger with the extra steel up there.

Of HB, SW Motech, and Givi/Kappa, these seemed like the lightest--based mostly on shipping cost from a vendor who sells all 3. I also thought they had a narrower profile than HB (which I think are the heaviest). Now that I have them on I'm not convinced they're much narrower. If you have HB, I'm curious what the tip to tip measurement is for those.

If someone wants that info about these I'll post it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
Seen at a bike group meet. a one-off custom made add-on bars on top of the Givi engine guards.

Impressive! Andrew.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:52 PM

I was able to fit the SW Motech bars to my 2011 by pulling the cover off the evaporative canister and mounting the upper U-bolts carefully. The upper bolt can be mounted so it just fits inside the cover, no modifications required.

Last edited by Zypper; 02-28-2012 at 03:55 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 PM
MTS

Andrew check out that front tire? What kind? Anybody know?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:12 AM

Me thinks it is the PR3 from Michy. http://www.michelin.co.uk/motorcycle...n-pilot-road-3

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
Me thinks it is the PR3 from Michy. http://www.michelin.co.uk/motorcycle...n-pilot-road-3
Yes it is...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode