Airhawk cushion - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Airhawk cushion

Thinking about getting a airhawk cusion to use on the versys and ninja 1000 but probably will mainly be used on Ninja as i find versys stock seat okay.

has anyone had experince with these. price in NZ is $300NZ plus freight for medium size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey kiwi, got my small airhawk this year and like it. Medium might have been a better choice for me but the small works. The 12 bubbles in the bladder allow for precise adjustment, I found the half full/half empty bladder most to my liking but tweak a little up or down on rides.

My small's price came in around 140.00 Canadian, 300+ sounds a little steep to me. 140 was steep imo. Top quality though. Airhawk 2.

It can be worse than the stock seat if not inflated to proper levels for your
own tail.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I got the large cruiser one on my V per JDrocks suggestion....I figure he has enough saddle time to have an informed opinion. Its definitely helps with comfort but it does NOT solve the sliding forward problem...at least for me it didn't. Got mine like new (used) off Ebay for $70 US shipped.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Phill,

I've been reading about Airhawk here and on AdvRider and, roughly, 90% of users are very satisfied and the rest of them don't like it at all.
Some complaints have been about the durability (the cheeper, Airhawk 2) and some didn't like the wobbly ride on the air cushions.
For me, the method of removable (multi bikes, multi purposes) cushion works better then the seat modification. Also, the principle of air pockets witch allow movement and more blood flow sounds right.

Medium is reported to work best with Versys. Large also, but that one may be too big for your faster bike.

You can find many on Ebay.com for 80$.
This seller offers the most reasonable shipping rates. Total: 100$US
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRHAWK-2-SE...8#ht_502wt_956

Others charge 40$ for shipping probably because the cushion comes in a large box that needs to be packaged again. You can always ask them to take it out of the original box and put it in USPS Flat-Rate box for 15$.
I'll probably order one soon.

Cheers.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 04:05 PM

Been riding with it for over two years. How much I like it? I do not ride wihtout it, period. Best accessory I have bought. I have the cruiser small on a low gel seat. I believe the cruiser medium fits very well. Check the threads. I got mine from http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/category-s/1823.htm. They had a good price back then and shipping was $10 in the US. Couple of things

It takes a minutes riding to get used to it
You need to experiment with how much you need to inflate it. Best results for me was almost deflated.
You need to occasionaly adjust the inflation.

Surely beat a $700 custom saddle.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 08:51 PM

I think I'm one of those people that doesn't like those air chambers from the Airhawk. For me, it feels like I'm floating, I tried to use it almost empty but I don't know... I prefer something more "solid", but that's my opinion... you should try it, if you don't like it you can take out the rubber bladders and replace it by a "shaped" memory foam pad. I do that and works good for me.

it is what it is...
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Signed up for ebay and got one on way. Cost me $81 US for cushion and $33 US for priority mail, could of paid $17 US for mail but would like to see it here before Christmas.

Total cost $114 US or $152 NZ which is a lot cheaper than buying here for $300 NZ plus freight. Thanks Ivan for link
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 12:05 AM

I use mine everytime I ride. I love it. I forgot to take it when I bought my V in Cocoa, Fl, the 2 .5 hour ride home was miserable. You do have to adjust the inflation, you should feel a little bit of a shift in the cushion when properly set up. I found it to be a slightly weird feeling at first, but now I don't notice it at all.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 01:21 PM

I was talking to an Iron Butt buddy recently and he said he was using a similar product for his ST1300. It's an inflatable cushion sold at WalMart for deer hunters. I think he said he paid about $10 for it and he likes it a lot.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 AM

Good job, Phill.

Let us know how you like it.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 05:31 PM

I bought an airhawk after test driving my uncles (on a z1000 - 2004) and then realizing how much I dislike the Versys Stock seat..

Now i NEVER ride without it. It just sits there almost all the time. Its very very easy to take off if you feel uncomfortable leaving it out in public (throw it in the top case).

Its a bit expensive, but now I never never never have a sore butt, even after a good 200 miles. Normally I would start getting annoyed around 60 miles.

I purchased a MEDIUM one btw, the neoprene (nicer one), the AIRHAWK 1, not the AIRHAWK2.

For the versys, the one thing it helps with a lot is the forward slant against the tank, since this adjusts the fitting based on pressure, you can position it to make yourself more level on the bike.

Only advice I have is - give it 1 week to get used to.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Thinking about getting a airhawk cusion to use on the versys and ninja 1000 but probably will mainly be used on Ninja as i find versys stock seat okay.

has anyone had experince with these. price in NZ is $300NZ plus freight for medium size.
I see I have missed the addition to the stable Phil, congratulations on the Ninja! I can't believe what I saw at an independent the other day. Someone was selling his Ninja 1000 with about a thousand miles, for $8600! As you see, I have gone a different direction, buying a suzuki drz 400 for a cross the West T.A.T. trail ride. From what I have read so far, I don't know whether I should be excited or scared. Should be a good test for man and machine, and I am going to start training in Jan/Feb. Post up another pic of your Ninja when you get a chance.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Absolutely love the bike! But I can't for the life of me get past the luggage rack backrest thing that is sticking straight up in the back. I realize it would be quite functional for hauling luggage, but for me it kills the look of the sport bike. I can't help but be drawn to it when I see photos. Still, a sweet ride!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Absolutely love the bike! But I can't for the life of me get past the luggage rack backrest thing that is sticking straight up in the back. I realize it would be quite functional for hauling luggage, but for me it kills the look of the sport bike. I can't help but be drawn to it when I see photos. Still, a sweet ride!
It looks worse when i put the bag on the rack and do agree with you as i do not like the pack rack myself. It stays on for the moment as i have blown my budget for the year on bikes, good thing the year is nearly up
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Airhawk has arrived from states

Tried it out on versys and Ninja. Cushion was mainly brought for the Ninja as i find the versys stock seat is great.

Did a test with it from being fully inflated to hardly having any air in it. Best feel in my view is hardly any air at a guess 1/3 inflated. Happy with it but had to due to the Ninja seat put the straps on criss cross as the rear straps would of slip off if you went rear left to rear right.

If i do any very long rides on Versys will use it.

Last edited by kiwi 41; 12-29-2011 at 12:26 AM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 PM

[quote=kiwi 41;

Best feel in my view is hardly any air at a guess 1/3 inflated. Happy with it but had to due to the Ninja seat put the straps on criss cross as the rear straps would of slip off if you went rear left to rear right.

Hi Phil,
I've been using one ( actually 3) for years. 1/3-1/4 inflation is what I quickly settled on. Crisscrossing the straps also works on the Versys, it seems to keep the pad more stable on the seat. I think you're going to love it.
Nick
Happy New Year!
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

[quote=Nick;182180][quote=kiwi 41;

Best feel in my view is hardly any air at a guess 1/3 inflated. Happy with it but had to due to the Ninja seat put the straps on criss cross as the rear straps would of slip off if you went rear left to rear right.

Hi Phil,
I've been using one ( actually 3) for years. 1/3-1/4 inflation is what I quickly settled on. Crisscrossing the straps also works on the Versys, it seems to keep the pad more stable on the seat. I think you're going to love it.
Nick
Happy New Year![/quote]
Happy New year to you to, Less than 9 hrs to go for 2011 then the world ends in 2012 lol
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Used the cushion today on the Ninja 1000 and give it a , done 360 km ride around hydro lakes, still playing with cushion to get it just right. In my view the Versys stock seat is better than the ninja with airhawk but the ninja stock seat is a killer in my view.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 02:17 AM

Recently, when I rode on a long journey to Phuket Thailand from Malaysia, the hurt came after about 10 hours into the journey. When I made my first trip to Thailand 6 months earlier, it began to hurt after about an hour's ride. It could be the riding pants I was wearing as it has a little padding.

My buddy got himself a bicycle riding pants with cushioning and he says, it solved all the pain issues. He's riding a KTM SMT which vibrates a lot more than the V. I've ordered one from eBay to give it a try, pretty decent priced at about USD$13.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode