HID me baby one more time - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
HID me baby one more time

I replaced the standard bulb in the dip with a 35w HID today. It was a bit of a faff, but I eventually got it done to my satisfaction.

I stuck the ballast to the header tank with double sided tape as I couldn't find any other handy or flat area to put it. I had to put a couple of washers to space out the header tank as you can see the scrape that was caused by the top yoke hitting it.

The rest of the gubbins I just cable tied to the front subframe making sure the wires were all out of the way.

Plugged everything together and Hey Presto !

All I need now is to make sure the level is right and also replace the poor wee parking light above the dip as it looks pretty yellow and pathetic now.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Very Nice...

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 05:04 PM

Nice work Davy F, you're gonna love the diference in the light intensity.

Not much useful now that you already did it, but I fastened mine like this...

Agree with you on the parking light, I replaced mine with one of these...

Cheers

Last edited by Daedalus62; 11-14-2011 at 05:07 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus62 View Post

Nice work Davy F, you're gonna love the diference in the light intensity.

Yes, I love HID's ! I had changed both on my 12GS and done the same on my MX5. I think having a HID light makes the bike stand out slightly better during the day with the faint hope that I am more visible to some dumb car drivers.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
I think having a HID light makes the bike stand out slightly better during the day with the faint hope that I am more visible to some dumb car drivers.
Amen to that!!... Riding lane splitting everyday like I do, definitely notice that drivers get out-of-the-way more than when I had the standard light.

Cheers
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM

Question. Does the large halogen reflector bowl on the Versys do a suitable job of restricing stray light from HID?

On the car forum I frequent, we typically chide the fellows who convert their headlights to HID. Mainly because of the large amount of nuisance light that escapes due to the halogen reflector bowl design. i.e. no cutoff to define the pattern. Now other cars on the same platform come with HID, but their housings incorporate the atypical projector lens you find on factory HID

Hoping to become a rider soon
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 04:00 PM

"Chid" may be too busy to point this out right now, so I'll pinch hit for him and state that HID projectors are "ten times better" than your simple HID bulb swap.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melonhead View Post
"Chid" may be too busy to point this out right now, so I'll pinch hit for him and state that HID projectors are "ten times better" than your simple HID bulb swap.
I know that projector HID>reflector HID.
My question to the OP and others who have done this, is how good is the resulting hybrid reflector/hid combo beam pattern at directing light where you want it and keeping it from where you don't?

Hoping to become a rider soon
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

I have to take the V round to a friend who has the proper light testing equipment needed to check and adjust the lights on our vehicles so that they pass our annual safety check (which starts when the vehicle reaches 4 years old). I'll then know just how it is performing.

Personally, I don't really worry if it gives off an amount of 'nuisance light' as I know from past experiences that having HID lights helps with being noticed on the road during daylight hours. I rarely ride in the dark, so I don't worry about that either.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:08 AM

Now this is tempting me .....

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonhead View Post
you knew it was coming
I had HID in my headlamp reflector for about a year. The light was better than stock ( HID gives about 2-3 times more lumens than halogen) but it was not in the good place ( HID have a different focus than halogen) resulting in a "all over" light. That will make you more visible on the road during the day, but very annoying at night ( at least). I change this setup when I realized that I'm giving flashes at the people who have HID in normal headlight. (you need a special projector that's made for HID, if you have a halogen projector and you put HID inside is the same story..)
This setup is not legal, as the light blinds the others on the road ( same as running the high beam all the time).

I have H1 HID bi-xenon projectors now and the light is right where is should be ( I can clearly see the cut-off and it's coming below the windows of the cars), the light is strong and very uniform and it covers all the road (very, very wide). The HB is instant because it just flips a cover inside the projector.

if you have any more questions, ask.

more details in the topic for installation:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15364

Versys 2015 Green
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 AM

Something strange is happening to me.... there is a topic with questions and answers, interesting, I post something and BOOM.... everything stops...!?!?!
It happened to me few times...

/offtopic

Versys 2015 Green
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
Something strange is happening to me.... there is a topic with questions and answers, interesting, I post something and BOOM.... everything stops...!?!?!

/offtopic

Nah.
It's only that we all see your lights installation thread and go: "No way I can do that myself".
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
... I post something and BOOM.... everything stops...!?!?!
/offtopic
Know the feeling...

On your mod, two words... AWESOME JOB!!!... Not going to jump to it myself (at least right now), because I don't feel the need for it... Exactly like Davy F above, I rarely ride in the dark, so...

OffTopic also, sorry...

Cheers
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 AM

Hehe.. .that's funny, but really is not that difficult, and the results are fantastic! ( plus the fact that the xenon light bulb has about 2-3 times the life of a halogen, it doesn't have the filament )

aside that, it happen to me in few topics, not just this one ...

Versys 2015 Green
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
... but really is not that difficult...
Well... You have to realize that some tasks that might be easy for you, are way over the head for some... Just the mere thought of dismounting, taking apart, sawing, etc, etc, the headlight assembly...

When it comes to manual skills, the range goes from the guy that can carve a replica of the Taj Mahal on a grain of rice, to another one that finds it difficult to change a busted light bulb in the house...

Itīs normal, some people have some skills, others have different ones... Nothing new here.

My 2 cents

Cheers
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 02:59 PM

it was more patience than anything else
but I agree I risk it all by cutting the reflector of the headlight. ( 200 $)

That's why I tried to do a HOW-TO...

Versys 2015 Green
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rickescazu
Quote:
it was more patience than anything else
but I agree I risk it all by cutting the reflector of the headlight. ( 200 $)

That's why I tried to do a HOW-TO...
I read you post, how to, and did not even know what a dermal was until i went to by one. i managed to do it on a 2011 with a different headlight design, but i used two sizes of HID projectors to make it fit without completely removing the reflector and fabricating something, which i knew i could not do. i also played post install and decided i like the lower unit focus out bit more then the upper unit, so the cut offs do not match. i can see way more pot holes in the roads where i live this way. and where i live its 50% road asphalt and 50% cuck holes that will swallow a wheel.

anyway i agree its about 500% better then putting a xenon bulb in a reflector set up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode