Tank bags by Bags-Connection - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tank bags by Bags-Connection

Some of you have the City bag, and some have the Engage bag. My question is

Do the bags have hard sides and do they keep their shape if they are empty?

Do you use the map case and comments?

I have their Rackpack tail bag and like it and its quality.

Thanks for your time,
kup1236
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the Engage bag and the sides are rigid and keep their shape when empty. The SW-Motech gas cap mount is very good and easy to use.

I don't use the map case because I have a GPS. I had a map case on my old bike and never used it - so I didn't pony up for that. Looking at a map on a bike while you are going down the road just isn't a good idea - I've never seen the point of them. Just my 2 cents. Also, the position of the map case makes you crank your head way down to see it.

The Engage can be used to hold your GPS and you can even electrify your bag through an SW-Motech electric bag mount. Then you can add interior lights and connections for you electrical gear if you want to take it that far.

These bags are the top end of tank bags. Just the bag and the basic mount cost me just over $200 dollars US.

I went this route because one thing on my last bike that I really liked was something called a 'Stuff Bay'. I had the BMW F650Cs and instead of where a gas tank is usually placed on a bike - we had an open space that held a small back pack. Then you could unsnap the back pack and take that with you and put your helmet in there instead and lock it. It was really ingenious. All though the Engage Bag doesn't hold the helmet (I've got cases for that) - it removes easilly and I can take it with me.

If you got the money to spend and you want the ultimate tank bag - this is the way to go.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 AM

City Tankbag

I tried the Engage bag and didn't care for the way it fit the tank. It wanted to be too far forward and slightly interfered with bar movement. Also I didn't care for the flat bottom look on the V's stepped tank. I returned it to Twisted Throttle and bought the City bag instead and it fits like it was made for the bike. I've attached some pics of my V in late season trim with the bag mounted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SW Motech mount.jpg (225.0 KB, 642 views)
File Type: jpg City bag fitted.jpg (334.1 KB, 861 views)
File Type: jpg City bag rear view.jpg (299.9 KB, 817 views)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 11:43 AM

That's a nice bag - a bit larger than the Engage and has quite a few more outside pockets. I had to play with the mounting to get the Engage to site right and I noticed even thought the Engage does follow the tank in the back at first it seemed to hover in mid air. After a few weeks with it - the bag formed to the tank and works perfectly. I'd say go for the City bag if you want more room. I don't need as much and find the Engage works out ok for my needs.

How do you like those Hippo hands? I'm sure they help keep your hands warm but do you ever feel trapped using them?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:09 PM

Is that set up a pain at the gas station? Assume you rest it on the back of tank when you fill up, won't the male fitting scratch the tank?

Machog
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 08:00 PM

City tankbag--Hippo Hands

I haven't used the tankbag for an extended trip yet, so I can't comment on gas pump issues. My plan is just to remove the bag and set it on the seat while filling the tank. The bag mount is hard plastic so it probably would scratch the paint if not taken completely off while fueling. As far as Hippo Hands go, I'm going to use them this week commuting to work. Morning temps are forecast in the low 30s, so this will be a good test. I have heated grips fitted too, so the hands should stay pretty warm.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machog View Post
Is that set up a pain at the gas station? Assume you rest it on the back of tank when you fill up, won't the male fitting scratch the tank?

Machog
Hey, Machog. Not really. There is a simple chord that you pull on the front of the case and it comes right off. At gas stations - if I stay in the seat and fuel then I just rest it sideways between me and the tank. The adapter is actually indented underneath and doesn't make contact with the tank. Further, the adapter is made of plastic and I have my tank protector as well. Nope, never an issue with doing it that way. If I get off the bike and fuel, then I just rest it on the seat. In both scenarios - it's just a click to get it back on.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 AM
djg

Thanks to this forum I found this bag. It really is a great fit on the Versys. A bit pricey though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank bag.jpg (369.2 KB, 465 views)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I have the Engage bag and the sides are rigid and keep their shape when empty
Hello, pardon me for resuming this old thread, I need to know if the Engage bag actually fits the Versys gas tank or not. According to the reseller I've contacted, the Engage is NOT suitable for the Versys...

Who's right?

Thank you for your help!!! :-)

DeepVoid
My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 05:35 AM
djg

twistedthrottle.com does not list it as fitting the Versys, but they don't list the City bag either, and that is a perfect fit.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
twistedthrottle.com does not list it as fitting the Versys, but they don't list the City bag either, and that is a perfect fit.
OK, I'm going to complete the purchase order for the Engage tank bag :-)

I must get rid of the magnetic bag (Joe Rocket Manta), both because I usually work in environments sensible to magnetic fields (life support machines), and I need something to store credit cards when travelling with the bike, and credit cards don't love magnetic bags... (the Manta is a nice bag, its only drawback for me are the magnets).

DeepVoid
My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 AM
djg

The mounting system for these bags is very cool, but I still need to look under the bag while aligning it to the fuel cap mount ring.

I have a magnetic tank bag on my TDM850, and I haven't had any credit card problems, I throw the wallet in all the time.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 08:05 AM

i like this one best, not too tall and fits the tank,

i used someone's pic from another thread
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 08:57 AM
djg

That is the Engage bag, and it fits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode