Givi Top Case Rack with OEM Panniers? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi Top Case Rack with OEM Panniers?

Hi, I just received my Kawa rack and panniers and I would like to add a top case and rack. I know this issue has been canvassed a few times before but the replies seemed to come from people who hadn't actually tackled this job, other than with a hacksaw.

The part number on the Kawa supplied rack is
PNR: 017BRU0033

The Kawa rack is obviously different from a Givi PLX447 rack as the Kawa rack includes pillion grab bars and has additional mounting points at the pillion footpeg.

Can anyone tell me if they have fitted a Givi Top case mount: P/N FZ447 with this PNR Kawa rack? If so could you post a photo?

Cheers
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Correcting myself about the pillion footpeg anchor point. I see the PLX 447 also has the same mounting point.

Instructions supplied by Givi and Kawa are so bad it is hard to know exactly what really needs doing!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 11:27 PM

If you have a pre-2010 model, the Givi FZ447 will fit with the OEM side rack, but to make it work, you will have to fiddle with it a lot. You also need a lot of patience, and probably a stiff drink or two afterwords.

Please see this thread and this thread for more information.

Thanks,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks DaveC. Mine is actually the current model...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

I reckon if anyone was designing a top case rack for the Versys it would be a smart move to make it compatible with the OEM side racks!

For 2010 onwards models...

The Givi FZ451 top case rack will not work with the OEM monokey side racks. They both have the pillion grab rails incorporated into the design (and share the same grab rail mounting pints) and the rear turn signal light mounts on the OEM side racks are in the way of the rear FZ451 side rail mounting points.

Has anyone tried cutting off the FZ451 pillion grab rails? It seems to me that there would still not be enough clearance for the turn signals. Also the pillion grab rail on the OEM rack prevents mounting a cutdown FZ451 on top, and mounting underneath would throw out the geometry of all the other OEM mounting pints.

Seems to me that the solution for anyone hoping to combine OEM Givi panniers with a top case is to remove the OEM side rack and go all Givi - FZ 451 and PLR 450 pannier racks.

Anyone able to suggest an alternative?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I just strap a dry bag on the passenger seat if I need to carry more than will fit in the side cases. I you plan to use a trunk, side cases, and carry a passenger, you might want to change sprockets too so you don't pop a wheelie every time you take off from a light.

As far as the turn signals are concerned: if they are the only thing keeping you from adding the rack then contact www.admorelighting.com and put LED lighting in the GIVI side cases. That is what I did and it really helps with traffic behind me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode