Saddlemen Panniers Installed - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Saddlemen Panniers Installed

I've always wanted to have a way to carry small items with me and had been using a backpack until now. I'm pretty much a day rider and never had a need for large bags and never quite cared for tank bags. I settled for the small soft bags made by Saddlemen. Once they arrived I realized I did indeed need a way to keep them from leaning in towards the rear tire. I was struck by the idea of fabricating a sort of bracket that I could remove easily but would offer substantial support to the bags. The Saddlemen bags came with a series of slots sewn into the back across the top of them. I constructed a bracket from 16 gauge steel that connects to one of the passenger grip bolts and a castle looking piece from aluminum that attaches to that piece and which the bags hang on. After making a template from poster board I fabricated the units using a grinder, jigsaw and small drill press. All in all I think it turned at pretty well.

I attached a T-shaped piece I had laying around to the spot just below the passenger peg that is drilled and tapped so I would have a place to secure the bag.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
NICE work!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Looks Great...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 PM
rlj

Hey lanesplitter, where are you in Atlanta? I'm in Buckhead. Just saw your picture of your V and I'm getting ready to paint my lower plastic "fairings" red as well. Just ordered the paint from ColorRite yesterday. I'm also going to paint the black plastic piece from the tank to the seat red. Nice work on the bag set up.....

Last edited by rlj; 11-07-2011 at 04:02 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 PM

Garage
Cool, nice work on the set up.

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

RLJ - I'm in Snellville. I've been thinking about painting the black plastics around my seat as well. When you're done post pics. I'll bet that will really make the bike look sleek.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 PM
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanesplitter View Post

RLJ - I'm in Snellville. I've been thinking about painting the black plastics around my seat as well. When you're done post pics. I'll bet that will really make the bike look sleek.
Just curious, did you paint the inside of the lower fairings red or did you tape them off and leave them black? Did you use the ColorRite paint? Your paint match looks pretty good.

I like your crash bars painted silver, I'm going to order them soon and was originally thinking about painting them red however I really like the silver on yours.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:35 PM

Nice and neat

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
Just curious, did you paint the inside of the lower fairings red or did you tape them off and leave them black? Did you use the ColorRite paint? Your paint match looks pretty good.

I like your crash bars painted silver, I'm going to order them soon and was originally thinking about painting them red however I really like the silver on yours.
I taped the inside leaving them black and applied the OEM red and clear paint with a Preval sprayer. I used Rustoleum metallic silver spray paint on the crash bars and it matched pretty darn good. An entire can allowed me to put 3 - 4 coats on each crash bar.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:00 AM

Nice fab work, I like it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

If you mean the pieces that go from below the gas tank mid-point rearwards - I BELIEVE that you'd wear the paint off with your knees (UNLESS you covered the new paint with that clear paint protect film...).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 PM
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
If you mean the pieces that go from below the gas tank mid-point rearwards - I BELIEVE that you'd wear the paint off with your knees (UNLESS you covered the new paint with that clear paint protect film...).
It might but I'm going to try anyway. I'm going to give it a few shots of clear coat and see what happens. If it does rub off quickly I'll try the clear film. If it last for a while I can always repaint if necessary.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 05:11 PM
rlj

Quote:
When you're done post pics. I'll bet that will really make the bike look sleek.
Here you go lanesplitter. I have more pics on another thread.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

That is SWEEET!!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing you work with us. Fit and match's the V.

Great job bro.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode