Protection and utility mods - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Protection and utility mods

A week ago (prior to joining this forum) I dropped my Versys (yes, my brand new Versys).

I was in my driveway, I lost my footing, the bike got away from me at 0 mph.

Funny part is I hurt myself (pulled a muscle jumping out of the way) far more than the bike got hurt.

The bike has one minor scratch on the left handlebar tip.

That's it.

So I can sigh in relief but I'm not more than a little self conscious about paddling the bike around in my driveway and/or coasting at low speeds.

Regardless I need to start thinking about a few things:

1 - add utility (and protection): meaning bags. I am looking at the Kawasaki bags and they are about 600 bucks. They look stylish, but in case of a fall, would they protect the bike? Also they look stylish but the seem a bit ... impractical. Maybe I'm wrong. My question is: what kind of bags (if any) are you guys using?

2 - add protection (to the bike): I'm thinking about this:

http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew/...CategoryID=167

Has anyone looked into it? is it any good? The cowling of the engine survived miraculously unscathed ... this time. I don't know about next time (hopefully there won't be a next time, but you never know).

3 - add protection (to me and the bike): hand guards. Of all the body parts exposed to the wind, my hands are those suffering the most even with good gloves. Again, I am looking at the Kawasaki hand guards and they look OK to me. Are they good in protecting form the wind? Also, In case I lowside and/or drop the bike again (you never know!!!) Would they work in protecting the handlebars from hitting the ground? What hand guards (if any) are you using?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Side bags to protect bike from a drop, seen myred do it in malaysia on his red, he probably dropped it because he would of been so hot with his rain suit on but no damage done to bike, it happend when he parked it on side of road and what a awsome twisty road it was.

Photo taken on other side of road from drop with Francis and myself (check out his red rain suit) but bin took brunt of drop with a slight scuff mark on it ( no photos of that)

Last edited by kiwi 41; 10-31-2011 at 09:37 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
'Bark-busters' without a doubt for hand protection.. after a number of drops at different speeds i can highly recommend them ( you will bend your standard handle bars before doing any damage to the bb's and if you scuff the plastic you can easily replace it.

As for that type of cowling guard you linked I've never used them, but i have had both H&B bars and also the SW Motech Bars and have been down with them both and the SW's let me ride away the H&B's bent into my radiator and punctured it..not pretty :/

No matter what my bike, I will always invest in some kind of drop protection.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Had a drop myself and barkbusters are great, they took the hit and it moved them slightly but just readjusted and good as gold.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Picture take just after I drop the V on a very slow turn to park. It was an incline which I did not anticipate.

There some marks on the side bags, but nothing to shout about.
The bags do provide some protection.

For engine protection H&B highly recommended.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode