T-Rex Swingarm Spools - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
T-Rex Swingarm Spools

Hi All,
After browsing lots of threads here on stands and spools, I bought the harbor freight stand and t-rex 10mm spools. The stand is fine, but the 10mm spools don't screw into the threads on the bike (2010 Versys). Did I buy the wrong spools ? Any ideas ?

I bought these spools:
http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=7

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I've used 2 different brand of spools both 10mm both worked fine.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Ok, looks like I was being a little weak wristed. The spools go on fine with a little bit more umph that I was anticipating.

Thanks.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 AM

One of my T-Rex spools broke when I was lifting the bike so keep an eye on them.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that - I'll be wary of them.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
APPARENTLY T-Rex spools now come with spacers that my early ones didn't have, and my left spool broke off a small piece where it contacts the swingarm.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
APPARENTLY T-Rex spools now come with spacers that my early ones didn't have, and my left spool broke off a small piece where it contacts the swingarm.
Arr, interesting that you say that. If I put the spaces between the spool and the frame, my harbor freight stand won't fit - the spools come exactly where the alunimium frame goes. So, I had to take the space off one side (the right) and now it fits, although the bike is ever so slightly off to one side on the stand of course. I left the spacer on the left, since the axle pin sticks out more there, and thus the spool/spacer help to protect it a little.

Any thoughts ?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhidbeyRider View Post
Arr, interesting that you say that. If I put the spaces between the spool and the frame, my harbor freight stand won't fit - the spools come exactly where the alunimium frame goes. So, I had to take the space off one side (the right) and now it fits, although the bike is ever so slightly off to one side on the stand of course. I left the spacer on the left, since the axle pin sticks out more there, and thus the spool/spacer help to protect it a little.

Any thoughts ?
Just purchase the spools at Harbor Freight. They are inexpensive, fit well, are sturdy, and work great with their stand. Eight to ten dollars is reasonable, not thirty to forty dollars!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismocycleguy View Post
Just purchase the spools at Harbor Freight. They are inexpensive, fit well, are sturdy, and work great with their stand. Eight to ten dollars is reasonable, not thirty to forty dollars!
Harbor Freight doesn't have the spools on thier web-site anymore.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Harbor Freight doesn't have the spools on thier web-site anymore.
I have never purchased the spools online. I just find them hanging on the pegboard display at the Harbor Freight. Store.
But the price is right.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 11:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismocycleguy View Post
I have never purchased the spools online. I just find them hanging on the pegboard display at the Harbor Freight. Store.
But the price is right.
I've never purchased them on-line i got them at the store also. but the last few time i've been to harbor freight i haven't seen them. I got a pair of the front fork adapters from them earlier this year and haven't seen them on-line or in the stores lately. Always found its best to call one of thier stores if they don't have something in stock they can pull it up from another store in your area and tell you where to go. Took off my harbour freight one and went with theses off ebay.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 01:42 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:16 PM

Unhappy Swingarm Spools

The Harbor Freight 10mm spools had an Item#66926.
Harbor Freight informed me that they no longer stock or sell this item.
If you go to eBay Motors and search for swing arm spools, you can find some for $12.95 or $13.00 a pair with free shipping. Multiple colors are available. Make sure that you order the 10mm size!
I have seen a lot of spools for 40 to 50 dollars, which I think is a RIP-OFF!
How MUCH can it COST for two small pieces of aluminum and a couple of bolts?

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 PM

Motowerk makes swingarm spools.
Good quality product from Speedy: http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:11 PM

I bought Motowerk spools. They were cheap and made in the USA which is a big plus. Everything I have bought from HF either broke, was defective, or was scary. Buy good stuff, life is short. You deserve it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Motowerk makes swingarm spools.
Good quality product from Speedy: http://motowerk.com/Versys.aspx

Damn forget he had those..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:14 PM

We'll all here to help out our fellow V. Cheers, Weljo

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode