Bar end nut removal - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bar end nut removal

Does anyone happen to know off the top of their head what size and type of allen/hex/torx/alien wrench is needed to remove the bar end weight nut?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulphur44 View Post
Does anyone happen to know off the top of their head what size and type of allen/hex/torx/alien wrench is needed to remove the bar end weight nut?
6mm allen wrench

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 09-25-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks- I think all mine are SAE......

Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Get a set of metric allen head sockets. You will get more leverage for removal and can use with a torque wrench for tightening.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Get a set of metric allen head sockets. You will get more leverage for removal and can use with a torque wrench for tightening.
Good advice that's what i used and the bar end bolt was still a pain to get off.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 09-25-2011, 11:22 PM

Confirmed metric 6mm. I walked into my garage for ya. I just put a throttlemeister on my Versys today. Stock bar ends came off easy as if they had been off before [ I bought my bike used]

Doing the spark plugs for the first time also. Man you gotta tear her down pretty good to get at em! Old ones are out, gonna pick up some on the way home from work tomorrow.

Pearl Chrome Yellow/Metallic Violet Royal
02 Kawasaki Ninja 250 -sold
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki Ninja 650 -sold
Candy Plasma Blue 09 Kawasaki Versys - [UJM 2.0! ]
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki ZX-6R -(my little green ticket factory)

"Make it a day to remember. Go ride."
Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QtrLitre View Post
Confirmed metric 6mm. I walked into my garage for ya. I just put a throttlemeister on my Versys today. Stock bar ends came off easy as if they had been off before [ I bought my bike used]

Doing the spark plugs for the first time also. Man you gotta tear her down pretty good to get at em! Old ones are out, gonna pick up some on the way home from work tomorrow.
Did you put some loc-tite on the threads before you put it back together?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Did you put some loc-tite on the threads before you put it back together?

Yep

Pearl Chrome Yellow/Metallic Violet Royal
02 Kawasaki Ninja 250 -sold
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki Ninja 650 -sold
Candy Plasma Blue 09 Kawasaki Versys - [UJM 2.0! ]
Lime Green 09 Kawasaki ZX-6R -(my little green ticket factory)

"Make it a day to remember. Go ride."
Old 09-29-2011, 09:48 PM

I tried removing with my shorty allen wrench, it won't budge. The loctite material is really strong. Need a longer wrench.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Old 09-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post
I tried removing with my shorty allen wrench, it won't budge. The loctite material is really strong. Need a longer wrench.
Or a set of sockets that are "allen" so you can use a breaker-bar or ratchet....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 08-30-2013, 02:03 PM

I just tried removing mine with a ratchet and still can't get it to budge.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
I just tried removing mine with a ratchet and still can't get it to budge.
Had to use one of those hammer type impact drivers w/ the allen socket to get mine off. Harbor Freight special
Old 08-30-2013, 03:34 PM

Garage
This is what I used

Old 08-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Good advice that's what i used and the bar end bolt was still a pain to get off.
Mine were held w/ red Loctite from the factory....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 08-31-2013, 06:31 PM

Just to be sure these loosen counter clockwise right?

Thanks for the advice, I'll be trying again next chance I get.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:00 PM

Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty.

Mine were on the red LockTite and I used a 1/2" breaker bar with the Allen socket set up and it came right out...groan...I said right...grunt...out! Snap and out it came!

Funny my KLR was the same way and on BOTH bikes it's the only place I came across red LockTite from the factory

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Old 09-01-2013, 07:00 AM

Red LocTite is evil when you're trying to remove stuff. I think the green is even worse. They had put my rear rack on with that red stuff and it was incredibly difficult to break loose and remove. (Trivia - the OEM top case for a Tiger 1050, while functional, makes it look like your bike is being chased by a hovering Igloo cooler.)

After the fact, I learned that some heat goes a long way toward breaking that stuff down when you're trying to back off a bolt.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:24 AM

I went out and gave it another shot yesterday, I was feeling a little manlier so I gave it some extra oomph and finally it broke loose.
I guess I was just afraid of breaking something or knocking the bike over before.
It had what looked like yellow stuff on the threads, I'm guessing some type of loctite.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
I went out and gave it another shot yesterday, I was feeling a little manlier so I gave it some extra oomph and finally it broke loose.
I guess I was just afraid of breaking something or knocking the bike over before.
It had what looked like yellow stuff on the threads, I'm guessing some type of loctite.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I just tried removing the OE bar end weights with a hex key and I stripped the head. The next size hex key will not fit. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul View Post
I just tried removing the OE bar end weights with a hex key and I stripped the head. The next size hex key will not fit. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Nevermind. The next few search results in the forum discuss stripped heads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in