happy trails panners - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
happy trails panners

anybody have experience with Happy Trails Pannier thinking about that route for my Versys...other thoughts include the givi trekker and the pelican based system but the price seems right on the HT stuff

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:22 PM

I have them and am happy with the product. I think it is just about unanimous that their service sucks though.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
I have them and am happy with the product. I think it is just about unanimous that their service sucks though.
Far from unanimous opinion on Happy Trails. A few customers disappointed because some product did not fit perfectly is no justification to bad mouth a very respectable aftermarket supplier. My satisfaction with Happy Trails goes way back to my KLR650 days and continues today.

2004 Hon XR250
2004 Kawi KDX220
2006 Suzi DL1000
2009 Suzi DR650
2011 Kawi 650 Versys

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 AM

Others can chime in but I have heard far more negative comments than positive. Mine came on the bike but when I needed some help with them I got next to zero even though I only needed some advice.

There are plenty of threads about their service or lack of it.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:45 PM

I will chime in on the great product. The customer service is something to be desired. Also the instructions leave a lot to your imagination to figure out. I can never understand with the internet era that high quality photos of installs of products would be so difficult to do.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:17 PM

Don't get me fired up about their Miserable Customer service...
I'm sure their products are top notch and I would love to have a set of their tetons but I will never buy from them again. I would however buy their products from my fellow Versys family if any are available.

"The feeling isnt fear, its just telling you to move" Rancid

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse." Dad

09 Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Wolfman Expedition Large Duffel
Seahorse top box SE540

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 PM

I put a set on my v and it's top notch stuff, and the service was outstanding.

2011 ZSX 1000
Red / ebony
Bag Connection AERO saddlebags
Garmin Nuvi 550 rammed
Kuso heated grips
ZG touring windscreen / CalSci Tall
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 PM

I will be putting Happy Trails Tetons on my 2011 V... but I can't seem to get a straight answer from them as to when they will be available... one week they are a month or so out on the racks... another week they be available next week... another week they have panniers available...

Right now, I'm waiting on a phone call on when the racks will be available (I'm not holding my breath though since this is the 2nd or 3rd promised return phone call about availability).... This has gone round & round for about 6 weeks... I don't want to order a system until I know it will be available... I don't want to plan a trip using their product & not have it when I need to use it. I also don't want it sent to me piece-meal, I want the whole system delivered together so I can use it... That's why I have yet to order from them... I've read several accounts of parts missing... split shipments weeks apart, etc... And the lack of answers & differing answers depending on what day I call seems to be consistent with the negative opinions on customer service that I've read...

Everyone who has the pannier system seems to love it... but just about everyone has the same negative opinion on their customer service... It's a real shame since so many people have the same opinions (love their product, hate their customer service)... Wish they would get their act together on production scheduling & customer service answers...

I've resigned myself to order their system this coming fall or winter when their business is slow... maybe then I'll get an accurate response as to when I can have them delivered...

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)

Last edited by Kankujoe; 09-15-2011 at 10:56 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistrick View Post
anybody have experience with Happy Trails Pannier thinking about that route for my Versys...other thoughts include the givi trekker and the pelican based system but the price seems right on the HT stuff

Dan
FYI, you may want to read this first. Just so you wont go in blind.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=14718

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 11:35 AM

I know it's not on the Happy Trails cases at all, but I went down the Caribou Cases route for my 2011 Versys - while not metal cases, they are probably tougher than most alu cases, and were incredibly easy to fit, reliable and solid, and the customer service I had from CCS was amazing.

When I was doing all my research on panniers, the bad things I head about a company or it's equipment were just as important to me as the good things, because to me, it's how a company handles the unexpected and the difficult that matters most because that's when you need them!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:50 PM

They are great and they take a beating. I had an off at 45 mph and between the HP pannier and the SW-motech crash bars my bike was saved. I had to use a rubber hammer to beat the pannier back in shape but its still water and dust proof. Ive had no problems with service but others have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V-crash-damage-3.jpg (310.4 KB, 104 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode