Anyone have Givi bag lights from Custom Dynamics - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have Givi bag lights from Custom Dynamics

These.

I see lots of posts for the addmore lights, but nothing about this setup. If anybody has these, I'd really like to know your thoughts/impressions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 08:03 PM

Someone has them, I think, Glen......I liked those too!

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Nobody!!???

Does that mean I have to get them and write up a review???

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 03:34 PM

I have the (admorelighting) ones for the V35 cases. I actually think I might have been the first person to get them. I beta tested them for them a few years ago. The the Versys is the 3rd motorcycle the cases have been on. The kit is very nice and I’ve had no problem in probably 30k+ miles of use.

Last edited by swimmer; 09-10-2011 at 12:53 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

DIY light on GIVE Bags.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Installed!

Install was fairly easy but time consuming. The instructions are good and easy to follow. Some bigger and higher quality images would have made it a bit easier. These things are BRIGHT! I do have one little nag: The Givi bag surface is slightly curved/concave behind the lens and the LED board is slightly curved in the opposite direction. The LEDs are sealed and it looks like when the sealer dries, the board gets a bit bowed. Itís just a hair, but in combination with the bags slight curve in the other direction, the last 1/2 inch or so of the LED board is not mated to the bag. I donít expect it will be an issue though.

Again, these boards are very very bright. 4.5 out of 5 stars. These are 5 star quality, but I would have preferred the lights to have a dim mode to act as running lights and flash bright when the signal is activated.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 06:39 PM

Let's see pictures!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker View Post
These are 5 star quality, but I would have preferred the lights to have a dim mode to act as running lights and flash bright when the signal is activated.
My wife (electrical engineer) is going to solder up some Y harnesses that will allow you to use a two wire LED as a three wire unit (running and brake/signal). Will probably sell them for $15 a pair. I think it something a lot of people could use since it would allow just about any two wire LED to be used as running lights that would flash brighter for brakes or turn-signals.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
My wife (electrical engineer) is going to solder up some Y harnesses that will allow you to use a two wire LED as a three wire unit (running and brake/signal). Will probably sell them for $15 a pair. I think it something a lot of people could use since it would allow just about any two wire LED to be used as running lights that would flash brighter for brakes or turn-signals.
Me WANT! I already have the 'Magic Blinkers' installed to make the signals 'on' at 100% and then "blink" off front & rear. The LED bag lights at 100% are a bit overpowering. I have the SoS Priority Lite module on my DR650 and have had it on previous bikes. Kinda does the same thing by making turn signals running lights and brake lights. Didn't think it would work for mostly an LED set-up so I went with the magic blinkers.

anyway....

When you wife gets these done, I definately want some.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Me WANT! I already have the 'Magic Blinkers' installed to make the signals 'on' at 100% and then "blink" off front & rear. The LED bag lights at 100% are a bit overpowering. I have the SoS Priority Lite module on my DR650 and have had it on previous bikes. Kinda does the same thing by making turn signals running lights and brake lights. Didn't think it would work for mostly an LED set-up so I went with the magic blinkers.

anyway....

When you wife gets these done, I definately want some.
Did my DIY solution the week before last

I fixed 4 off each of these LED SMD panels. 2 off each in each of the bags from http://www.energyspeed.com/servlet/t...-Panels/Detail Only place on the net I found doing this size

Got them for $2.99 each but P&P to UK was $30 by USPS International (First) but got them within 5 days

and

and then wired the brake light Cct up to a SMIDSY LED Brake light flasher installed under the seat

as per this wiring diagram.

Then I only had to run one wire to each or the Amber LED arrays.
and use the common ground wire.

The SMiDSY BLMED-1FG when wired up in Mode "3", as per this link HERE will hold the Red LED's at a 30% brightness and then when triggered by the brake light switch, turn them up to 100% .

The contol box operates the lights as follows:

Upon applying the brakes, the brake LEDs are on at full power for 0.5 seconds. The LED's will then flash rapidly 15 times at 10hz and then remain on at full power until brakes are released.

If the brakes are re-applied within 8 seconds, the LED's will go on at full power until brakes are released again. This is to prevent distracting the vehicle behind in stop/go traffic.

See this Vid on how it turned out

No Video

Total cost just under £55 for all the parts.

Richard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TowerMan; 10-21-2011 at 07:58 AM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Me WANT!

When you wife gets these done, I definitely want some.

OK here is the prototype. It works well, I am going to run it on my Versys for a week or so before we offer it up. Here it is on a 12v power supply. The video shows it in running light mode (tapped into key on 12v +) then I touch the brake light wire to +12V (could be used for turn-signal as well) to make the LED light up brighter.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Hmm. Starting to run this around in my head. I have the Magic Blinkers intstalled so my signals (and bag lights) are on 100% and 'blink' off when the signal is energized.

My concern is that since the signal coming from the flasher is what tells my signals to turn off, it will be the same signal that tells your gizmo on the bag lights to get brighter. The end result would be my signals would be ON and my bag lights at 30% in running mode. That's good.

However, when I energize the signal, my signal would 'blink' off at the same time the bag light would increase to 100% You agree?

I may have to remove the magic blinkers from the rear signals and use your gizmo to get it all working the same way. Will this adapter work on a circuit with both LED and non-LED lights (our regualr 10W amber signal and the LEDs mounted in the bags)?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Finally had the camera out -

Pictures are with a fixed shutter speed and aperture:

Pics don't do these lights justice.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
These.

I see lots of posts for the addmore lights, but nothing about this setup. If anybody has these, I'd really like to know your thoughts/impressions.
So these didn't flash as signals right out of the out of the box?

Honda CBR125R Sold
Kawasaki Ninja 650R Sold
Yamaha Zuma 50 Sold
Kawasaki Ninja250R Sold
Kawasaki Versys Current Bike
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
So these didn't flash as signals right out of the out of the box?
Well kinda sorta. They are On/Off only. The little blinker sets from vturbo make 'em work as Low/High intensity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode