Heated grips for my wussy hands - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heated grips for my wussy hands

Just ordered a set of powermadd handguards to keep the wind off my hands this fall/winter. I am now thinking heated grips might not be a bad idea. Any of you guys run them on your bikes and which ones seem to work well? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 02:31 PM

I installed HotGrips last year. Worked fine:
http://hotgrips.com/
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 02:41 PM

For a little more you can get heated gloves. Tourmaster have a pair with controller for about $150.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 03:12 PM

I have Oxford Heaterz on mine and they work very well, and are easy to install. The advantage of grips over gloves is that you can use them anytime, for example on cool summer mornings. In other words, times you wouldn't normally think of packing a pair of warm gloves.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

I installed Oxford Heaters, but the controller died after 5 months (on a 40 degree day with rain... ugh!). I replaced the controller with one from warm & safe. It has been trouble free for 2 years.

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
I have Oxford Heaterz on mine and they work very well, and are easy to install. The advantage of grips over gloves is that you can use them anytime, for example on cool summer mornings. In other words, times you wouldn't normally think of packing a pair of warm gloves.
Ditto

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5220/652/

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
In Colorado you always pack for at least three seasons.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
In Colorado you always pack for at least three seasons.
Amen! I have a jacket liner, raingear, neck scarf, 3 types of gloves and a heavy chamois shirt for altitude as well as a water absorbing cooling neck bandana in a zip lock bag for those hot times packed in my Givis. Like a gun, if you have it and don't need it great, but if you don't have it and need you're scewed.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:13 PM

I have the Oxford heaterz with the 4 heat settings put on at the dealer when I bought my V in March. They work great (the highest I've had them on was the 70% and that's quite hot) but if you go with them I would recommend wiring them in with a switched relay. I was surprised the dealer wired them direct to the battery but then I read that if you leave them on by accident, they will automatically shut off when the voltage level drops to a certain point so I wasn't too concerned.
Well of course a few days ago I used them on the way in to work in the morning and of course forgot to turn them off (no I wasn't trying to test the auto shut-off LOL) and when I went to leave that afternoon my battery was DEAD. I was able to get a jump start and everything is fine but I have since learned that the 2010/11's have an auxiliary relay with a 5 amp fuse so I will be wiring them through that soon.

2013 Versys1000
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I went with the Kawasaki heated grips for the Versys. I get a discount from my dealer, but they were still more $ than the alternatives shown here. I like that they are plug and play.

I do have a pair of tourmaster synergy heated leather gloves, but dealing with the wire running through the jacket is a pain.

When it is in the 20s I might use both the heated grips and gloves, along with my heated vest liner. guess I need to get a voltmeter installed on the bike to make sure I can run everything and still charge the battery.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I went with the Kawasaki heated grips for the Versys. I get a discount from my dealer, but they were still more $ than the alternatives shown here. I like that they are plug and play.

I do have a pair of tourmaster synergy heated leather gloves, but dealing with the wire running through the jacket is a pain.

When it is in the 20s I might use both the heated grips and gloves, along with my heated vest liner. guess I need to get a voltmeter installed on the bike to make sure I can run everything and still charge the battery.
Looks like you need to move to a warmer place.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:08 PM

Another vote for the Oxford Heaters.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Garage
I went with the heated gloves, I like them better. Keeps the whole hand warm and toastie, easy to move from bike to bike if you own more than one.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd1719 View Post
Just ordered a set of powermadd handguards to keep the wind off my hands this fall/winter. I am now thinking heated grips might not be a bad idea. Any of you guys run them on your bikes and which ones seem to work well? Thanks
IMO heated gloves are a better option in the cold. Why? Because they keep the back of your hands warm which is the part that gets cold and they heat each finger. Hand guards don't really help much with the cold. If you have a heated liner they just plug into the cuffs and are a breeze to put on. Heated grips are good when you need some extra warmth with your summer gloves but are not nearly as effective or comfortable in cold weather. You also cannot transfer them to another bike if you choose to trade down the road and they are not removable once installed.

Last edited by Sprocket; 08-22-2011 at 10:09 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 10:19 PM

I have heated grips on both my bikes. I also have heated gloves. While I love the heated gloves, I use them maybe four or five times a year when it's really c-c-c-c-cold. The heated grips I use all the time, even in summer.

I say get the heated grips first because you'll use them and you won't leave them at home, then next time you get a bit of stupid money get the gloves.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode