BarkBusters VPS Handguards Install - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
NYG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BarkBusters VPS Handguards Install

Several months ago I ordered these through Twisted Throttle and watched their online instruction video. The video shows cutting the end off the handlebars and moving the controls around, so I have been waiting until my father in law could bring up some tools to help with the job.

We tackled it yesterday and the entire job was under forty minutes with no cutting or moving of controls.

I had the full Versys kit TT sells, and it just involved removing the handlebar weight, no cutting. We don't even need the spacer it comes with because the handlebars are already threaded. The clamps for the handlebars fit below all the controls and even leave room for tools to get to the controls.

If you are like me and put off doing this for fear of cutting the end of the handlebars, don't worry about it. I will keep this updated in case I totally screwed up and they fall off during the third ride.

Question--I used no Locktite yet but feel I should because of vibration. Do I want the red or blue? I know there are slight differences in the two. Any experience with these would be appreciated.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:15 PM

I'd use Blue for that install because you will, eventually, want to remove them for some reason (replace grips, add grip heaters, whatever). Red can be defeated but it takes a fair amount of heat.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 03:18 PM

When I installed them I didn't cut anything either. Glad I didn't watch the install video first.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:42 PM

How do they block the wind while your riding? Just ordered a set of powermadd star guards but if I dont have to cut the bars I would go with the barkbusters. I think the barkbusters look a bit better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 01:34 AM

They completely block the wind with the storm shields on them.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
NYG

Okay, I have some mileage with the handguards.

Kimel--thanks, I went with the blue and they don't seem to be shaking at all.

All riding temps have been 50 or above, so I can't tell for sure, but they seem to block the wind pretty well. I can lift my hands a bit and feel a difference. As turbo pointed out, they do come with a second set of shields, but I won't put them on until fall.

So far, I would recommend them and install was easy. Thanks guys.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode