Night time Givi windscreen/headlight issues. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Night time Givi windscreen/headlight issues.

I've got an issue with my Givi windscreen- at night, the screen picks up an awful lot of glare from the headlight. It's even worse if it's raining... and worst of all on "brights". I've got it on the second set of holes right now-

Here's my thought... does the screen need to be set so far forward by the rubber bumpers? Is there a reason? It seems to me, that if I cut the bumpers down the screen might be set back enough to lose some of the glare...

Anybody had the same problem, or have comments/solutions?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 PM

It happens to me with my CalSci installed in the Madstad mount... I thought the problem was the Madstad mount but looks like it's the same with the OEM windshield base... and yes, it's because the windshield is too far from the headlight... that gap should be closer.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:21 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to aaswalls
I use a strip of black gorilla tape on the top of the headlight. It has stayed there for years. Cheap and quick.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
It happens to me with my CalSci installed in the Madstad mount... I thought the problem was the Madstad mount but looks like it's the same with the OEM windshield base... and yes, it's because the windshield is too far from the headlight... that gap should be closer.
Pretty much my thoughts. I may try and mock up some spacers, to see how it changes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaswalls View Post
I use a strip of black gorilla tape on the top of the headlight. It has stayed there for years. Cheap and quick.
ON the headlight itself? Or, like an eyebrow/mini fender, OVER the headlight? Because you got me thinking about something just velcroed over the top... but I'd worry that the wind pressure would push it back...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:15 AM

Visual aid please, could you possibly take a photo or two?......just curious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 AM

I cut fuel hose in half and put it along the bottom of the windscreen. Then I changed the little light at the top of the headlight to a green led bulb, and took off the hose. Now the windscreen lights up green, which I like. But the hose did stop it from glaring. It did seem worse with an incandescent type bulb.

IBA # 49372
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaswalls View Post
Did the same but I used carbon fiber tape I had laying around. Made a little "eye lid" for the top of the light.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Well, part of the issue was that my windshield was resting on 1+" spacers- heavy steel ones at that. I remounted it with little rubber spacers made from fuel line, and the headlight issue is much improved... I put a piece of rubber molding across the bottom of the windshield to stop the "fiber-optic" effect, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode