ROX Powermadd handguards - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ROX Powermadd handguards

Has anyone mounted a set of ROX Powermadd handguards on your Versys? I am looking for more wind protection than impact protection. I have looked at other brands that wrap around and bolt on to the bar ends but I do not want to loose my end weights. Trying to ride as deep into late fall early winter as possible. Thanks fellas!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 02:09 PM

Garage
Our handlebars do not have the tab to connect those guards to.

I have the Powermadd Star guards,which it looks like the Rox's are based off of.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

How are those working for you. Do they cut a lot of the wind off from hitting your hands? They look nice on your V! Where did you get them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd1719 View Post
How are those working for you. Do they cut a lot of the wind off from hitting your hands? They look nice on your V! Where did you get them?
As for how much they do I am not really sure. I added them the first week I got the bike because I thought they looked cool. So I never really rode without them. Keeping my hands warm was a added bonus. But combining them and the heated grips I was riding last winter down into the 20's no problem. When moving my hand around I can feel a definite void in the air flow behind them though so that is good.

I believe I got them from Dennis Kirk, but not 100% on that. They are a popular brand for snowmobiles/dirtbikes. I do have the extra piece that makes the guards larger and blocks more wind on them.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 PM

Garage
I had the Powermadds on. They look OK and block some wind, but not enough to help with the cold. I think only heated grips can do that around here. The left handguard took the damage when I had a stopped tip-over in the driveway, not a mark on the bar end. On the downside, the mounting brackets started to show surface rust after only about 2 months.

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 PM

One of the nice things with the Powermadds is that you can get extenders for the guards to make them larger, which does help cut down on the wind. I don't ride in temps below 0 deg C (fear of black ice), so I can't comment on how well they work when it's really cold out. I do ride into mid-November without heated grips, and with some cold-weather gloves, my hands are fine.

I think the guards in Hawkshot99's pictures have the extenders on them.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 10:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
On the downside, the mounting brackets started to show surface rust after only about 2 months.
The mounts are made from aluminum. Aluminum does not rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
I think the guards in Hawkshot99's pictures have the extenders on them.

Dave C
Correct. They are about 1.5-2" taller than the ones that come standard.

The one thing I dont really like about the Powermadd's is the mounting brackets with the V. The Handlebar control boxes are pretty big so you need to move the Powermadd mounts in on the bars. I have been considering getting a different set of mounting arms that are offered to try out, but have not gotten around to it yet.

The PM14269 Tri-Mount Kit on the Powermadd site.
Powermadd

08' Versys
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
The one thing I dont really like about the Powermadd's is the mounting brackets with the V. The Handlebar control boxes are pretty big so you need to move the Powermadd mounts in on the bars. I have been considering getting a different set of mounting arms that are offered to try out, but have not gotten around to it yet.

The PM14269 Tri-Mount Kit on the Powermadd site.
Powermadd
I have used both the regular and the Tri-Mount kit and recommend the Tri-Mount. It positions the guard just fine, and doesn't move the mirrors in.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Good info from everyone. I was looking at the tri-mounts and I am glad they work well on the V. I am going to order a pair and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode