Windshield to stop helmet base turbulence - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
ABR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Windshield to stop helmet base turbulence

Hi,

I've read a number of the windshield threads on here but hope some might have an answer to a more specific question. I'm 6'2" and am riding my '11 Versys windshieldless for the moment. The stock screen sends rough air to the base of my helmet -- creating staggering amounts of noise. Has anyone about my height found one of the various windshield options to cure this problem? I don't think it'll make a difference if rough air or the full stream hits higher on the helmet, but hitting the base area really causes problems.

I don't want to just get the tallest thing I can find since I have no interest in looking through a windshield while I ride. Been kind of thinking about the vario, but I've seen some saying it doesn't help with wind noise.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:26 PM

Talking Windshield

I am 6' 2" and use the Kawasaki Tall accessory windshield. It is 13.2 inches tall and 15" inches wide, at the widest. I found it to be the best compromise between the stock screen and the Givi tall screen, for me.
Photo attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0499.JPG (787.1 KB, 444 views)

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:57 PM

I assume the 2011 also has two shield positions and you tried them both already. I'm 6'-0" and have the Madstad bracket with a stock shield. I adjusted it so the air hits me at about eye level and is nice and smooth. I can adjust to get the air over the top of my helmet, but then I get buffeting from the rear. Hope that helps.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 AM

I'm 6'1" and gout the MRA to stop the buffeting. It stops the majority of wind <60kph but once you 80+ it gets loud. Not buffeting like the stock until you're pushing 120kph
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
ABR

Thanks. Three guys, three different ideas. Was kind of expecting more Givi and Calsci suggestions actually. Though I had a Givi on my previous bike similar to the Versys one and had the same buffeting problem.

By the way, is there any difference between the Vario at TwistedThrottle and the one from Kawasaki?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 12:15 PM

Vario on a Madstad bracket, so I can't comment on how it performs in the stock bracket position.

I'm 6'-5", no buffeting or thrumming, even at 80+ mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR View Post
By the way, is there any difference between the Vario at TwistedThrottle and the one from Kawasaki?
I don't think there is a difference, just like the Givi bags made for Kawasaki are the same bags but with a different sticker on it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 PM

I'm 6'3'' and had Mike's GT grand touring screen for ~1 year. I sold it because of the buffeting I was getting on my helmet, no matter how high/low I mounted it. If I remember correctly, it was 21" tall, and I could easily see over it by ~6 inches. It hit the mirror supports (with extenders) at full lock.

I use the stock screen upside down on the lowest setting now, with no helmet buffeting, but some serious wind blast ~70mph.

Let me know if you find one that works for you.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:48 PM

I am 6'2" with a 2011 and I run no windshield due to the insane buffeting caused by the stock shield. Now that I am used to it I enjoy the full wind hitting me, but I must admit that 80+ requires a good grip.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:36 PM
MTS

Quote:
Hi,

I've read a number of the windshield threads on here but hope some might have an answer to a more specific question. I'm 6'2" and am riding my '11 Versys windshieldless for the moment. The stock screen sends rough air to the base of my helmet -- creating staggering amounts of noise. Has anyone about my height found one of the various windshield options to cure this problem? I don't think it'll make a difference if rough air or the full stream hits higher on the helmet, but hitting the base area really causes problems.

I don't want to just get the tallest thing I can find since I have no interest in looking through a windshield while I ride. Been kind of thinking about the vario, but I've seen some saying it doesn't help with wind noise.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Dude the Givi is so awesome! I'm 6'3" and it works perfect! And I don't look through a screen! Ride on!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
ABR

OK, well I ended up ordering the Givi plus a Laminar Lip to try to give myself some options. For 2010+ there is no Madstad, so we have to make do in other ways!

I'll start by trying the lip on my stock shield, then work up from there.

I'll post how it works out. Thanks again all.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 PM

I am 6'1", 32 inch inseam, and run with a Givi Windscreen with the Madstad adjustable bracket for most of the time. To me, the important part is the Madstad bracket, it allows me to adjust the windscreen on the fly and make it much higher than stock ( or the normal bracket, for that matter ) whenever I do any interstate riding. It puts the airflow just above my helmet. Right now, I am going 'commando' with no windscreen just to keep myself cool during the 90+ degree weather. The Givi/Madstad combo was so good it was keeping most of the airflow away from the mesh jacket.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 PM

Talking Lip For Sale in the "For Sale" section of this Forum

Quote:
OK, well I ended up ordering the Givi plus a Laminar Lip to try to give myself some options. For 2010+ there is no Madstad, so we have to make do in other ways!

I'll start by trying the lip on my stock shield, then work up from there.

I'll post how it works out. Thanks again all.
There is a brand new Laminar Lip for the Versys in the "FOR SALE" section of this forum. Check it out!

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Dude the Givi is so awesome! I'm 6'3" and it works perfect! And I don't look through a screen! Ride on!!!
What position did you settle on for your Givi? I have a 2011 with the Givi in the lowest position right now...haven't tried the tilt forward or high configurations yet.

I am 6'0" and still have a slight amount of helmet buffeting with it in the lower position...but I am definitely liking the Givi over the stock screen.

I just need to get some more well nuts so I can try the other positions! I know damn well I will probably damage the existing ones trying to remove them.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 12:08 PM

A lot of times its the helmet design. That is why one windshield does not work for ever customer. It can work perfectly for me and someone else and cause all kinds of issues for someone else (same size but with a different helmet).

I had a Nolan helmet that did all kinds of weird stuff behind windshields that I had previously used with other helmets and were perfect. For some reason Shoei helmets are really picky too.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti20vturbo View Post
A lot of times its the helmet design. That is why one windshield does not work for ever customer. It can work perfectly for me and someone else and cause all kinds of issues for someone else (same size but with a different helmet).

I had a Nolan helmet that did all kinds of weird stuff behind windshields that I had previously used with other helmets and were perfect. For some reason Shoei helmets are really picky too.
Can't comment on the Nolan, but I'm right there with you on the Shoei. Love mine otherwise, but it's really loud behind a screen, mostly from around the base, despite beiing fantastic for noise on a naked.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 01:08 AM

Maybe I need to replace my Shoei! One would think $350 would be enough to obtain a 'quiet' helmet. It's about due for replacement anyways...

I installed the Large size CalSci windshield and have been happy with the results- but it's a big honker, and changes the looks of the bike tremendously. A little hard to get used to!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
ABR

Well OK so I got the lip and the Givi and wasted no time trying them out. Here's what I found (6'2", 34" inseam).

just stock: lots of buffeting turbulence around the whole helmet -- taking the shield off was quieter

stock + lip: started to reduce this, air hitting around eye level, but still too noisy

just Givi: pretty good -- air hits crown of helmet, causing some degree of noise, but definitely livable

Givi + lip: almost quiet -- can hear the engine a lot more, no wind rush at all, just light buffeting

I haven't decided on what to use permanently. Givi plus the lip (taped on) was the quietest, but the combination is so tall and skinny as to look ridiculous. Also at that point it could benefit from being a bit wider -- most of the remaining turbulence came from the sides. But that would be getting into Calsci territory. Also, even with just the Givi, riding was notably warmer since the breeze was gone, so maybe this is more of a cooler-weather option too.

(2011 Versys)
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
Maybe I need to replace my Shoei! One would think $350 would be enough to obtain a 'quiet' helmet.
You would think huh? My Nolan ($350) is the worst and my $120 HJC CL14 has been the quietest helmet I have owned either on a naked bike or behind a screen.

I ended up just running this touring shield in the lowest position and calling it a good. It deflects the bugs off me, there is no buffeting but it can get loud on the highway behind traffic.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigilanteTrail View Post
What position did you settle on for your Givi? I have a 2011 with the Givi in the lowest position right now...haven't tried the tilt forward or high configurations yet.

I am 6'0" and still have a slight amount of helmet buffeting with it in the lower position...but I am definitely liking the Givi over the stock screen.

I just need to get some more well nuts so I can try the other positions! I know damn well I will probably damage the existing ones trying to remove them.
Do not be afraid to take out the wellnuts. They are just small pieces of rubber, just grab the sides and wiggle it out while you pull. You shouldnt have to go out and buy new ones, they are met to be easily adjustable and taken out (the manual says so).

Enjoy!
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 AM

Those Wellnuts can be stubborn and if grabbed by the rubber will tear easily (and they’re silly expensive for what they are).

I’ve had mine out several times and the best way I’ve found is to use a screw (that’s an inch or so longer than stock, so that you don’t have to grab it with your finger nails). Thread it into the Wellnuts – and gently work it out by pulling back on the screw while rotating it in a circular motion. A little rubber lube (or soapy water) helps too and done this way they’re a snap to do without damaging them.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode