Sargent may have a seat for the Versys on the way - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sargent may have a seat for the Versys on the way

FWIW I happened to be looking thru the Sargent seat website for info on another bike when I noticed in their News section a headline that they were going to release a Versys seat 'fall 2011'. They have a notification list, if you're interested just give 'em your email, and they will contact you when it's available-and include a coupon for a discount on the purchase price.
I'm generally a fan of Corbin, but the one for the V looks like it belongs on a metric cuiser from the 80's, and most Corbins have slippery covers. I've done the DIY mod on the stock seat, but if the price is right I may be tempted to try a Sargent.

Larry aka Charliedog
Bristol, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 05:57 PM

I have been waiting (on the list ) for months....pricing is likely to be about $300 to 350.............they just came out with the long awaited DRZ400 seat........so I have to decide which one I need!!!

**Sold**2008 Red Versys, Algard, LSL Frame Sliders, EvoTech Radiator guard, Givi screen, Givi V35 panniers, Moto Werks handlebar riser and footpeg lowering blocks, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Carbon Fiber FendaExtenda, Spools/Sliders front & rear
2000 DRZ440E
2003 KLX440R
2003 TTR125LE
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the heads up!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:09 PM

I am on the list already, hope the price is good.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah, Thanks.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:29 PM

Potential issue for larger riders....you may not want a Sargent. One of Sargent's claims to fame is their under seat storage. It's a plastic cylinder that can be sealed on both ends that fits into the seat base itself...they make a cutout for it.

The Sargent I had for the ZRX had a drivers section that was a bit tight front to back. I contacted them, there was no option to customize the seat and move the rise back, making the drivers section longer. The seat base design with that precious plastic cylinder was in the way. I sent it back.

Any of you larger guys, keep this in mind and ask before you order.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
A buddy of Mine has one on his Strom, he likes it a lot.. I been on the list for a while.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 05:49 AM

I don't believe all the seats have the storage cylinder. I know the Sargent for my 12GS didn't have one. They made provision for some storage in the rear pillion seat, but it was just a cut out area with a rubber flap to hold items in. Plus they'll obviously have to make the base suit the underside of the frame area.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 AM

FWIW, Iím pretty happy with the stock seat (yeah, I know, Iím weird) but I just registered anyway.

I figure that it doesnít cost anything..., the more interest they see, the sooner theyíll make it... and if itís nicer than stock and reasonable priced, it could be my Christmas present to me

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
I don't believe all the seats have the storage cylinder. I know the Sargent for my 12GS didn't have one. They made provision for some storage in the rear pillion seat, but it was just a cut out area with a rubber flap to hold items in. Plus they'll obviously have to make the base suit the underside of the frame area.
I hope you're right and the storage doesn't interfere with the ability to move the drivers rise back a bit. If it wasn't for that aspect, I would have kept the seat....far superior to the Corbin for the ZRX.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 06:22 AM

I'm at the point that my seat causes me discomfort the more I ride and I would pay money for some more comfort. How much of a difference do after market seats actually make?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
......... How much of a difference do after market seats actually make?
This all depends on how you ride. For endurance riders who go non stop tank to tank all day long an aftermarket seat is essential. A good seat can improve the comfort so much that your arse will never be a comfort issue. For shorter distance commuters and hang off sport riders an aftermarket seat usually does no good at all. Just stop and give the rear end a good rest and spend the $400 on something worthwhile like suspension upgrades. I am somewhere in the middle with my Versys so I did the do it yourself seat mod of carve out rear and build up front.

Another factor should be your future plans for the bike. I learned lesson the hard way by suffering with crappy stock seat for two years before giving up and buying aftermarket seat only to sell the bike one year later. So if you are sure the bike is a keeper then consider a good seat earlier rather than later.

2004 Hon XR250
2004 Kawi KDX220
2006 Suzi DL1000
2009 Suzi DR650
2011 Kawi 650 Versys
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 PM

The seat on my 12GS was rubbish, 50 miles before numb bum set in. I then bought the tallest version (BMW do at least try to cater for different requirements) which was flatter with deeper padding and gave up to 65 miles before numb bum. Next up was an AirHawk. Yes, much better, but getting the amount of air in it just right was critical. But the biggest problem was I felt I just couldn't leave it on the bike for fear of it going bye bye. Soooooooo, I bit the bullet after trying a friends Sargent seat and bought my very own. It suited me down to a tee and I was able to do 350+ mile stints before I started to fidget. Then it was a matter of a half hours rest and carry on for a good few more miles. Without doubt, it was the best mod I bought for the GS. I know, some people don't get on with Sargent and prefer the like of Corbin or others swear by some upholstery guru who'll put gell inserts into their stock seat (BTW, the point of gell is actually to suppress vibration and isn't really that much more comfortable than the stock seat, but most people who get it done won't like to admit that the seat is no better than before). But, the best thing of all is that when I sold the GS, I also sold the Sargents with little loss over what I paid, so in effect it works out quite a cheap mod over the time you own the bike.

Last edited by Davy F; 08-07-2011 at 12:02 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 10:05 AM

Just checked the Sargent site and release date has slipped now to Spring 2012. So that's both my birthday and xmas out the window. Maybe it can be next years wedding anniversary prezzie.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
Just checked the Sargent site and release date has slipped now to Spring 2012. So that's both my birthday and xmas out the window. Maybe it can be next years wedding anniversary prezzie.
I was waiting for this but they lose my my business, I probably will get something else before its released unless the Air Hawk works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode