Flipped wind screen - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just got my 2007 (new) Black Versys this morning. After checking the windscreen tinting it with film was not a solution, there's some embossed print inside the windscreen so it would probably come off in days. So I went to a car paint store and bought special transparent primer and custom mixed tinted clear coat. If you do use this technic, make sure to read the instructions. In my case it was only 2 minutes between the 2 primer layers, and then let it dry for 5-10 minutes maximum and then start the clear coat layers, with 10 minutes between each layer.

Ok here are a few pics: As you can see the windscreen is not transparent like if a film was used, but it will be more durable and with a windscreen that size you usually don't look through it when you ride. Total cost: about 25$

Last edited by Kawa007; 04-30-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Looks good! I see what you mean by not being transparent. Did you paint the inside or the outside?

post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:02 PM

Masked the outside to the edge making sure of blocking the holes with tape, and painted only the inside. It's more transparent when looking from the outside since the surface on that side is perfectly shiny. If I would have had a spray gun, the inside would probably have been as smooth as the paint on your car, making it more transparent. But like I said, you don't really look trough a windscreen that small anyway....well, I assume cause I haven't ridden it yet, passing my exam tomorrow or monday for my license!

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:29 PM

Bear on a bicycle,

Great idea and I'll do it as soon as I buy one; btw I've been thinking wouldn't it be funny if that was the designer's initial intention and the assembly line just got it wrong?

It looks Awesome!!

Cheers,
David

Greeks never wrote obituaries---they only asked one question---Did this person live life with Passion?
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarman View Post
Bear on a bicycle,

Great idea and I'll do it as soon as I buy one; btw I've been thinking wouldn't it be funny if that was the designer's initial intention and the assembly line just got it wrong?

It looks Awesome!!

Cheers,
David

Greeks never wrote obituaries---they only asked one question---Did this person live life with Passion?

Stranger things have happened!!

By the way, do you know why the SR-71 was named SR-71??

Oh, & thanks for the compliment!

post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
I just got my 2007 (new) Black Versys this morning. After checking the windscreen tinting it with film was not a solution, there's some embossed print inside the windscreen so it would probably come off in days. So I went to a car paint store and bought special transparent primer and custom mixed tinted clear coat. If you do use this technic, make sure to read the instructions. In my case it was only 2 minutes between the 2 primer layers, and then let it dry for 5-10 minutes maximum and then start the clear coat layers, with 10 minutes between each layer.

Ok here are a few pics: As you can see the windscreen is not transparent like if a film was used, but it will be more durable and with a windscreen that size you usually don't look through it when you ride. Total cost: about 25$
Kawa007,

Don't take this the wrong way - I'm sure you're very nice - but I hate you for being able to get the bike in black. *sigh* I really don't like this bike in red, but it's all that's available to us in the USA. In a couple of paychecks, I'll look into getting mine painted black.

Other than the stupid color, I love the bike so far. Did a Sport Touring "Advanced Rider Training" ( http://www.utahsba.com/schools/START/ ) on the West Course at Miller Motorsports Park on the Versys on Sunday and had a blast. It was a good way to break the motor in, get used to the bike (I just bought it last Monday), and have fun "in the twisties" on pristine asphalt with no gravel, cars, deers, etc.

Anyway, back to the windscreen and wheels... After looking at the pics, I too am wondering if the assembly line didn't get it wrong. It does kinda look like it should be upside down. And speaking of mounting it in alternative ways, has anyone tried flipping it over - so the inside faces out? Since the tiny windscreen is pathetic at actually blocking any wind, would it work to have the "scoop" face out and flick the wind up? I know that some windshields have a little flip up at the top to kick the wind over the rider (http://www.calmoto.com/SHOP/a9708089.html for one example, though it isn't for the Versys). Since the bike is goofy looking already (I love it, but I do admit it's goofy), why not go whole hog with the flippy windscreen??

Disclaimer: I took physics a VERY long time ago and remember pretty much none of it.

I love how the black wheels look! I want to get mine painted too!! Let us know how it goes.

Jen

p.s. I really don't hate you - I'm just jealous.
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Kawa007,

Don't take this the wrong way - I'm sure you're very nice - but I hate you for being able to get the bike in black. *sigh*
You hurt my feelings :P hehe. I was lucky cause I was able to find a new 2007 model. In 2008 even in canada, it's red or blue here too, in europe they have black wheels...even luckier...
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:54 PM

New images with flipped tinted windshield

Here are 2 new pictures I took a few minutes ago with the tinted windshield upside down...does give it a sportier look I think...
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Yes it does! That looks great!

post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:51 AM

The flipped windscreen does look a little better. I tried it out today, but the wind was horrible. I think I'll flip it back right side up.
BTW, I agree with Jen, the black Versys looks awesome.
post #31 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 AM

wind screen

I was looking at some National cycle windshields in a catalog, they have some small handlebar mount type, (slipstreamers) that could maybe be drilled to mount on the stock V mounts, look like a larger version of the stock one i may be able to get my hands on a used one, to drill on and see how it fits and works....mmmmmm....PS i'm loving this bike, and this forumn, very informative, thanks
post #32 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 02:03 PM

one word. genius

i am going to do this, but i think im just gonna take that versys decail off and leave it off. this way i can change it if i am going to be doing a longer trip at faster speeds.

Last edited by alphabetsoup2003; 05-19-2008 at 02:07 PM.
post #33 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamichop007 View Post
I was looking at some National cycle windshields in a catalog, they have some small handlebar mount type, (slipstreamers) that could maybe be drilled to mount on the stock V mounts, look like a larger version of the stock one i may be able to get my hands on a used one, to drill on and see how it fits and works....mmmmmm....PS i'm loving this bike, and this forumn, very informative, thanks

If you do, post some pics. I visited the national Cycle web site, but couldn't find the slipstreamers. Do you have a link??

post #34 of 69 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:33 PM

Who's got the best price on the Givi windscreen?
post #35 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:06 AM

I tried flipping mine but it was useless for me either way. I'm only 6'2" but have to really duck down to notice any windblock at all from the screen even at the highest setting. So, I plan on ordering a larger one to throw on for long trips. For my daily commuting though, I just removed the whole thing along with the brackets and personally think it looks great.
My wife took our camera on a trip but this is pretty much what my V looks like right now.
post #36 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:41 PM

Looks interesting without the screen/mount... I'd like to see a pic of what it actually looks like, especially from the front. Personally, I found exactly what you did, the screen really didn't do anything for me but for ascetics I followed bearonabike and flipped mine anyways.
post #37 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 01:12 PM

I'll try and find my other camera and take pics when I get off work.
post #38 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

post #39 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 05:03 PM

Wife doesn't get back till next week and can't find my other camera
So, even though it doesn't do it justice, I will post some (horrible quality)cellphone shots ......

post #40 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 05:14 PM

thanks for posting those pictures I now know I will NOT (its just not for me but looks good on red) take the windscreen off , but will flip it.

Working to make it my Streetfighter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode