Russell Day Long Saddle - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Russell Day Long Saddle

Reposted from the UK forums:

Well it finally came and it looks really comfy.

-- Part Two - The Test --

Well I finally got a real good chance to break the seat in with a good 5 or so hours in the saddle. Even better I have a friend that owns a Versys along for the ride with me so it was pretty easy to get a comparison. After 5 hours, my rear felt as good or better than when I started which has never happend to me before. It was incredible after having owned a Corbin, Bill Mayer, various sit-on-top gadgets on a handful of bikes this one is without a doubt the king of comfort and truly deserving of its name. I think the two key aspects of the seat are wider displacement of the weight and some thigh suport. I think the later was the suprise for me. It helped keep my back which is already troublesome in check all day. I woke up with a sore back and by the end of the riding day felt exactly the same. Normally, my back really gets aggrivated after about 2-3 hours so much so bending is difficult pushing further past that riding stops being enjoyable and I tend to rest more than ride. Not this time.

My friend on the other hand, not so lucky. After about 3 hours of ride time you could already see discomfort by the way he walked. After another hour, we pulled over to rest on the way back to the bikes he was moving slow and was very rigid which is when we decided to cut the ride short. An hour later back at my house, it was obvious he was in a great amount of discomfort. Even saying pain had moved up his back through his neck and into his head. Now he isn't one to complain pretty much ever and usually I call uncle before he does. He rode an extra half hour or so more than me, but I could have easily gone several more hours as I was feeling fine at the end of our ride. I am quite sure a saddle upgrade is in his future.

We did hit some relatively curvy roads and I did seat shift moving my weight around in some of the switchbacks. I found that if I move forward, there is ample room to slide around on the seat race boy style. I don't think anyone who likes to seat shift would really notice much difference between this seat and the stock seat in the corners with this little trick. If you are the kind of person who picks their body up off the seat via the footpegs, the thigh support of the seat might be an issue but for the usual seat slide it worked great.

Best mod for the Versys to me yet? I think so. This one lets me ride the bike for longer which is a huge plus. Before this seat, I was still questioning the bike as a pefect fit on me. While I still am unsure this is the best bike I have ever owned, it certainly moved into the running.

-- Ride Report for the Above Test --

The highlights of the ride were Yellow Creek Rd, Steve Tate Highway, Jones Mtn Rd which turns into Yukon and Highway 136. The first three have long sweeping curves with nothing technical, but those roads have very little traffic so you can really open it up. Steve Tate is a special pleasure as a huge chunk of it has very few turn offs/ons so it feels almost track like. Highway 136 for those that don't know is one of GAs finest motorcycle highways. It isn't a difficult road with tight turns, but the scenery is spectacular and the traffic light.

Google Maps - Alpharetta to Ellijay

I chopped down this ride quite a bit. The original plan was to try for 10 hours or so riding with the expectation of cutting it short. We did end up cutting it in half as the day was growing long and my friend who also rides a Versys was starting to get really uncomfortable. If you want to continue on the full ride which takes you to Helen, drive on to Blue Ridge via 515, take 60 to Suches (one of my favorite roads ever), make sure you stop at the local motorcycle gas station and maybe you will run into MountainRider, then to 180 which is a very tight turning road so get ready for some fun, go until ends at 17/75 head north, east onto 76, and south onto 197 which is a hidden gem of a road. Finally when you get to Batesville take a right on into Helen via 356.

Google Maps - Alpharetta to Helen the LONG, FUN way!

However much you decide to ride of this trip, I promise it contains a significant amount of the best riding in GA.

Last edited by Cameron; 09-27-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:51 AM

I had one on my BMW. Very, very comfy. Looks funny, but it is exceptionally comfy.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Won't win any beauty prizes on the Versys IMO, but you only notice it when it is sitting still and nobody is sitting on it. I am far more of a function over form guy and see the beauty in extending my riding, but can appreciate people not liking it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Do you have a picture of the seat?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum1015 View Post
Do you have a picture of the seat?
They are embedded in the thread above. Can you not see them?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 03:02 PM

I wish I had one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 07:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
I would buy one but I dont like the Ideal of being without a bike that long. Someone rent me a seat. How long did it take to get it back?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

It took a long time (3 or so months), but I ordered in prime riding season. In the meantime, I purchased a low gel seat and rode around on that. I now have that for sale/trade here http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=1614
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode