Hornet Dear Avoidance System - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hornet Deer Avoidance System

I am going to use my Versys (bought, still at the dealer) as a daily commuter + fun machine weather permitting and am terrified of hitting a deer, which is a real possibility on my route. See them everyday, and at any time in the most unexpected places, along with ground hogs (once in a while), fox (couple times a week), rabbits and squirrels (skipping the wild turkey I saw once). While searching for the Stebel horn I'm considering (based on the input from this great forum!) I came across this Hornet system. Anybody have experience with it? Any suggestions?

Last edited by pwkulp; 07-16-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 01:13 AM

Link?

Most "deer whistles" and similar systems are generally worthless and inspire one to be less cautious about deer and other similar mobile obstacles.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 07:36 AM

There have been several people in my area with them. They are telling everyone to get one. One guy installed a off switch so it's not on all the time.
He claims to see deer across the field, 4 or 5 hundred foot from the road turn on the whistle and watch the deer go crazy trying to get away.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 12:45 PM

Firstly, I’ve never used any type of anti-deer device and have no idea if they work.

The areas & roads I ride do have a very heavy deer population. Most of the time they just continue grazing & watch me go by... and I’ve always thought that the anti-deer devices might be counter-productive by spooking them & having them run in an unpredictable direction... but as I said, I have NO first-hand experience with these... and given the number of deer that do cross my path on the road (at least several times a week, sometimes several times in one ride) I might just try one of these out myself...

The Hornet Deer Whistle - Electronic Deer Avoidance System

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

This thing operates at 120db at ~5000khz. If that is true, it would annoy the hell out of me not just the deer. That would be like having a high pitched whine at rock concert volume.

Deer are a huge problem, and I wish there were a good solution, but unless your in a very isolated area I bet your neighbors are going to have a discussion with you about your whiny bike...

Steve

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I went to the site, info is in the products section, says base frequency @ 4.8 KHZ, and depending on the model, something like 15 to 24 KHZ range on the ultra- sonic. So my guess is you will find it annoying, so will dogs.Some people will not be able to hear the higher frequencies.

Last edited by onewizard; 07-17-2011 at 09:01 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:23 PM

I had a deer blind side me from some bushes on a lonely road up in Wisconsin. I had no time to react and somehow it juked me and and went behind my bike as I rode by. Unfortunately, my wife was riding behind me. She reactively ducked and the deer jumped, clipping her helmet but clearing her. We were only doing about 45mph. Total freakout for both of us. Other than a scrape in her helmet she was ok.
We have discussed the need for a unit such as this for when we travel. An on/off switch would be a good idea I think. Deer can be found just about anywhere, but when your in obvious deer areas, you could flip the switch and maybe it might be some prevention.
We are seasoned motorcycle travelers, but I admit we are scared as hell of deer, and we have seen more in the last 5 years than ever.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everybody for their input! I see deer everyday, this thing isn't too expensive, so am going to at least try it. Will let everybody know how it works!

Phil in Eldersburg, MD, USA (Baltimore Area)
2011 Versys
Ellicott City Motorsports Rocks!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 AM

keep us posted

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkulp View Post
... am going to at least try it. Will let everybody know how it works!
Okay, you go first... and thanks for laying on the barbed wire

Id be particularly interested to know if the deer spook & run in random directions... or if they always move away from you.

And also how loud it is. As LONEROCKZ noted above, 120 db @ 5 KHz could be an issue...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:27 AM

Garage
If a real live working deer avoidance system was made, it would be push into every vehicle in the US market by the insurance companies.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:41 AM

in GA, almost everyone has those deer whistles on their cars. They are basically just a reed that vibrates at a frequency that you can't hear..but supposedly a deer can.

Maybe its a gimmick, but with so many deer that you have to shoo them out of your driveway just to get on the road... it is worth the $5

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Okay, you go first... and thanks for laying on the barbed wire

Id be particularly interested to know if the deer spook & run in random directions... or if they always move away from you.

And also how loud it is. As LONEROCKZ noted above, 120 db @ 5 KHz could be an issue...
Deer will always run from danger in what looks like random direction. It instinctive for them to zig zag away from something. Their genes tell them is the best way to run away from wolfes, bears, and other predators. Maybe in a few hundred thousand years the surviving gene pool will teach that running away in a straight line increases chance of survival. Hopefully by then the surviving riders will learn how to avoid them or invent something to shoo the deer away that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode