Lighting Farkel - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lighting Farkel

I just installed Xenon Super White hi and low beam bulbs last night and what a difference! It made a world of difference on dark unlit roads. I also install 2 super white LED bulbs as the city light markers just for aesthetic purpopes as the original peanut bulbs give off a yellowish light that didn't match the Xenon. Also they use 1/10 the power of the original bulbs.

I was originally thinking of going the HID route but went with the Xenon Super White due to ease of upgrade and cost factor.

My total cost was approx $21

How many other of you have done this upgrade to your V?

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case

Last edited by eldiablo; 07-15-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I paid a little bit more, here is my V:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15364

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo View Post
I just installed Xenon Super White hi and low beam bulbs last night and what a difference! It made a world of difference on dark unlit roads. I also install 2 super white LED bulbs as the city light markers just for aesthetic purpopes as the original peanut bulbs give off a yellowish light that didn't match the Xenon. Also they use 1/10 the power of the original bulbs.

I was originally thinking of going the HID route but went with the Xenon Super White due to ease of upgrade and cost factor.

A little more info please. What brand? Where did you get them? I'm guessing it's just a lightbulb swap? I've been thinking about doing the same, just haven't got around to trying to source them yet.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
A little more info please. What brand? Where did you get them? I'm guessing it's just a lightbulb swap? I've been thinking about doing the same, just haven't got around to trying to source them yet.
Yes it was just a bulb swap... I used

H7 55W bulbs as not to draw any extra power from the bike.

These are the exact bulbs from the very same seller...
USA destinations has free shipping so if you are in Canada and not the States make an offer as I got mine with free shipping too.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Kawasaki-KLR-650-...item2c5dce9452

I was doubtfull if it would make any difference at that price at first but I was happy to be proven wrong.

The city light LEDs were sourced from Canadian Tire and are replacement bulbs for the 194 marker bulb... 2 for $12 with tax in

I could have gotten the LEDs cheaper from fleabay but didn't want to dick around waiting 3 weeks for overseas shipping.

MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Yes it was just a bulb swap... I used

H7 55W bulbs as not to draw any extra power from the bike.

These are the exact bulbs from the very same seller...
USA destinations has free shipping so if you are in Canada and not the States make an offer as I got mine with free shipping too.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Kawasaki-KLR-650-...item2c5dce9452

I was doubtfull if it would make any difference at that price at first but I was happy to be proven wrong.

The city light LEDs were sourced from Canadian Tire and are replacement bulbs for the 194 marker bulb... 2 for $12 with tax in

I could have gotten the LEDs cheaper from fleabay but didn't want to dick around waiting 3 weeks for overseas shipping.
I found the same bulbs from a US seller. You're right, it's going to be $21. I'll be ordering them shortly.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I recently replaced my low beam bulb with a HID conversion kit ($30) off of Ebay. The HID bulb has the same base plate as the OEM Halogen bulb but you need to lash the ballast it requires in behind the front fairing. In my non scientific opinion it is slightly better than the stock bulb although it does not project any further out. It also uses less power which can be an issue with heated gear and stands out better in daylight due to the ultra white light it makes. I was reluctant to replace my high beam though as HID bulbs take a while to warm up to full brightness and I have read there are some issues with beam focus with HID conversion kit bulbs. Like the OP said my daytime running lights now appear yellow next to the ultra white hid bulb. Just wondering where the OP got his ultra bright LED bulbs? Also what size/type are these?

Consumer Reports magazine did a comparison of the Ultra halogen bulbs like the SilverStar. Their conclusion after rigorous testing was that with all factors included the Ultra bulbs offered no significant improvement in illumination. One key factor they did bring to light in the article was that halogen bulbs are brightest when new and older bulbs loose 20% or more of their brightness over their life span. One reason replacing an old bulb seems to make an improvement. They also questioned the claims ultra halogen bulb manufactures make when they say their products are brighter than conventional bulbs. The fact that older bulbs dim significantly could be used to significantly skew manufactures claims of an improvement. It should be noted their testing was done with the bulb installed in test vehicles so the reflector unit and focus had an effect on the testing outcome.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-15-2011 at 06:46 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I recently replaced my low beam bulb with a HID conversion kit ($30) off of Ebay. The HID bulb has the same base plate as the OEM Halogen bulb but you need to lash the ballast it requires in behind the front fairing. In my non scientific opinion it is slightly better than the stock bulb although it does not project any further out. It also uses less power which can be an issue with heated gear and stands out better in daylight due to the ultra white light it makes. I was reluctant to replace my high beam though as HID bulbs take a while to warm up to full brightness and I have read there are some issues with beam focus with HID conversion kit bulbs. Like the OP said my daytime running lights now appear yellow next to the ultra white hid bulb. Just wondering where the OP got his ultra bright LED bulbs? Also what size/type are these?

Consumer Reports magazine did a comparison of the Ultra halogen bulbs like the SilverStar. Their conclusion after rigorous testing was that with all factors included the Ultra bulbs offered no significant improvement in illumination. One key factor they did bring to light in the article was that halogen bulbs are brightest when new and older bulbs loose 20% or more of their brightness over their life span. One reason replacing an old bulb seems to make an improvement. They also questioned the claims ultra halogen bulb manufactures make when they say their products are brighter than conventional bulbs. The fact that older bulbs dim significantly could be used to significantly skew manufactures claims of an improvement. It should be noted their testing was done with the bulb installed in test vehicles so the reflector unit and focus had an effect on the testing outcome.
I replaced halogen for xenon bulbs in my hi and low beams and not halogen for ultra halogen.

I used bulbs simular to these (single LED) from Canadian Tire for the running lights.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

these might be over kill

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by eldiablo; 07-15-2011 at 06:58 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Just to clarify Xenon is a florescent bulb used in a HID system. It is a florescent type of bulb, that is it has no filament like a halogen bulb and requires a ballast and transformer to generate the high voltage necessary. Some ultra halogen bulbs are labeled as Xenon because they produce the same color of light as a true HID Xenon bulb, but in reality they are not Xenon bulbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_arc_lamp
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:59 PM

Remember had Stanley H7 as OEM.

Some bright H7 like
Osram 65W ( a bit more juice, http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html)
Osram Night breaker (55W, http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Consu...LUS/index.html)
Phillips X-Treme power (55W, http://www.hids4u.co.uk/Philips-X-tr...ore-light.html)

HID would last longer, suck less juice and brighter.

Have however added on an additional light to make up the brighness. Cheaper and adds to the V look.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Just to clarify Xenon is a florescent bulb used in a HID system. It is a florescent type of bulb, that is it has no filament like a halogen bulb and requires a ballast and transformer to generate the high voltage necessary. Some ultra halogen bulbs are labeled as Xenon because they produce the same color of light as a true HID Xenon bulb, but in reality they are not Xenon bulbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_arc_lamp
True HID xenon, xenon gas filled halogen, ultra halogen, 55 / 65 watt hallogen... in the end the only thing that people see is the "whitish" color of light and nobody will be looking behind my faring for a ballast to see if they are a true HID

Does it look cool = YES
Does it use less power (side marker LEDs included) = YES
Was it easy to do = YES
Was it a cheap upgrade = YES
Am I happy with it = YES

and in the end that's all that counts.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rickescazu
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I paid a little bit more, here is my V:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15364
not trying to go to school on you but i used your DIY and posts to decide o do this also after purchasing the bulbs and ballasts to do the fast upgrade. sure glad i did it this way. Used one KT-MT3 for HB and a one HID from a G3C kit. was a bit of work but went pretty smooth thanks to childs work. got a bad bulb from china on the moto sized HID so right now just running the upper but both have high low, and can still adjust with the factory screws on the back of assembly. I think the 2010/11 housing has more depth as i did not need a plate, just enlarged the H7 hole to allow the unit to sink in .5" more and the cases went back together ok....also changed turns and running light to HO LED bright while.

love the angel eyes get lots of BMW people asking....putting a set in my Audi quattro next...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000267.jpg (61.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg P1000269.jpg (53.1 KB, 75 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode