98% Fairing Buzz sorted - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Bob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
98% Fairing Buzz sorted

Greets,

so I spent the morning taking the V apart and adding some dampening where I thought it would help.

I assembled the V fairing piece by piece again after adding padding and took it out for a spin around the block after each section was put back on. Making sure to get it in the 3000 - 5000 rev range)

The headlight and dashboard section now seems to be quiet. After adding on the side panel though I get a slight intermittent buzz just above 4000 revs. I heard it with my helmet flipped up (Face flip up, not just vizor).

Helmet flipped down and vizor down though I think I heard it now and then... but It could be some residual buzzing in my head only, riding so long with the dash buzzing my brain might think that I should still hear it and therefor let's me hear it.

All in all I am very happy I took the time to do this. Thanks to all the other guys on here that did it before me

All I used was some double sided scotch tape (which I cut in half with a carpet knife cause it was too thick), and some gloss black model paint I had, to make the white scotch tape black after sticking it on.

Painless exercise, all it cost me was time, and that friggin super loud buzzing is a thing of the past. Attached are pics of where I added padding, and in some cases doubled up on the existing padding. There are loads more places that could qualify for padding, but I'll see how this holds up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1. Stripped.JPG (332.8 KB, 2871 views)
File Type: jpg 2. Nekkid V.JPG (300.4 KB, 2725 views)
File Type: jpg 3. Headlight padding.JPG (530.2 KB, 2929 views)
File Type: jpg 4. More Headlight Padding.JPG (466.3 KB, 2716 views)
File Type: jpg 5. Dashcover padding 1.JPG (406.9 KB, 2531 views)
File Type: jpg 6. Dashcover Padding 2.JPG (438.5 KB, 2619 views)
File Type: jpg 7. Dashcover Padding 3.JPG (466.1 KB, 2437 views)
File Type: jpg 8. Dashcover Padding 4.JPG (374.5 KB, 2356 views)
File Type: jpg 9. Dashcover Padding 5 Mounted.JPG (468.6 KB, 2316 views)

08' Diablo Black Kawasaki Verys
98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Work hard, play harder. --Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 09:40 AM

Damn... now you can sneak up on me again
Old 09-27-2008, 10:38 AM

Great photos, great job, great post. Thanks for taking the time.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:25 AM

Excellent Photo's

Thanks for the photo documentation, I'm getting ready to take care of this issue myself, have a 1,000 miles on my new V and it's time to fix the buzzing. It buzzed from the start as I was expecting from the posts on this site but up until now I only wanted to spend time riding, buzz or no buzz.

Thanks again.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:48 PM

I agree with all the above photos. It took me 4-5 times of pulling fairings off, adding more tape, putting it back together, running it, and repeat.

Wish Kawi would have done all this at the factory.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:09 PM

I did the same thing yesterday... Went over the whole bike and added some sticky foam

Other than the front fairing section. There are three other places on my bike where I was getting vibration (evidence of rubbing was found)

1. The black plastic trim pieces that go under the side Fairings toward the back of the bike. They rub on the tubular part of the frame where they cross.

2. The painted small fairings on the back of the bike were rubbing in two spots. One on the bracket for the passenger handle and also on a black plastic piece that it is supposed to rest against.

3. The tailight cover rubs on the outside rear edges (against the tailight) and where the two snap plugs secure it.

Now my bike is solid. I test drove it on the way to work this morning and it was perfect. Before I was afraid it was going to fall apart on me.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Bob

hmm, will check over rest of the V as well. We have an 800km trip scheduled for this weekend (will post trip plan in other thread), been raining here since Sunday afternoon again, so V is in garage.

Tomorrow looks to be sunny, so I'm hoping i still don't hear loud buzzing when I come in to work.

98' 3.0L V6 Colt Rodeo D/C (Engine rebuilt, Body lift, Monroe Shocks, 32" Wrangler MTR's, GME GX300)

Old 10-05-2008, 10:58 AM

Got it done yesteday, no more buzz, thanks again for the pictures, big help.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
Got it done yesteday, no more buzz, thanks again for the pictures, big help.
cool, happy if it helps

Old 10-13-2008, 09:35 PM

Thumbs up It works.

I followed Bob's instructions. In about an hour the job was complete and the problem solved. Now I can get the feel of when to shift instead of waiting for the buzzer.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:49 AM

I did mine last weekend. I used automotive weatherstripping and it worked great. Automotive weatherstripping is already black so you don't have to paint.As for the rain. I haven't heard any vibrations since.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the pictures and info! Unfortunately, after going over everything I still have a slight buzz which sounds to be coming from the front left side... Much of the buzziness is gone but right at 4k rpm something is still laughing at me. I'm going to check it again this afternoon...
Old 06-03-2009, 09:19 AM

I did the same thing last week end. I used 3/8" x 1/4" adhesive weather stripping under all edges of the fairing and intrument cluster. 90% of buzzing gone. A much more pleasing ride now. I took it all apart while adding the MadStad bracket and added stripping during re-assembly. Also replaced those stupid plastic rivets with sst hardware. I'm happy!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:55 AM

I did it today, but havent checked if it works yet.

i have a feeling it will do just fine.

so thanks a lot from Israel. love this forum.
I will update for results a.s.a.p

Chears.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:37 AM

I followed these pictures (and doubled up/added foam in places) and my fairing buzz is essentially gone. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-28-2009, 04:51 PM

didnt work for me all the way.
stil have some buzz from the tacho area.. i have to check it again.

i also understand that closing the side fairings in the right order is a must.

ill keep trying.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:23 AM

Did mine a few days ago. Much the same, but I also put weather stripping all the way around the inside of the instrument surround. The speedo unit now fits snugly inside, and absolutely no buzz from the front end at all. It's a changed bike now.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 PM

This is funny... for the buzzing sound you have to check your screws because the front fairing screws and the rear fairing screws are not the same size. It took me a long time to realize this and after I split the right side fairing from tightening it to tight to eliminate a buzzing noise, while I was putting on a new fairing purchased from Ron Ayers did I realize I would have saved some money if I would have just checked my screws. Also there is a screw on the inside of the fairing that often gets broken, misplaced or lost.

From the Ron Ayers microfiche try part 92039A which is a rivet that connects the instrument cluster to the gas tank, which is the thin black plastic strip. My mechanic misplaced my rivet and caused a hell of alot of buzzing.

J B Nimble

’08 Kawasaki Versys 650 (22,400 mi.)

Givi Windscreen
EZ Pass Holder(bar mounted)
6 panel fuse box(Twisted throttle)
Ground wiring block(Twisted Throttle)
Motowerks GPS Bracket
GPS City Tom Tom bracket
12V accessory plug
TomTom 720 Go
Hepco & Becker engine guard
Hella FF50 Driving lights
Bags Connection "Shorty" tankbag
Bags Connection "Cargobag"
Givi 52L trunk box & rack
Saddlemen Gel Seat
Ermax Hugger Fender

’06 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold 13, 679 mi.)

Last edited by J B Nimble; 02-19-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to shikataganai
I had the buzz sorted for about two months after following the above instructions… then it came back just off-idle last night. Gah.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:10 PM

tried this and cut the buzz in half! thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in