Made my own windshield - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
njd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Made my own windshield

Well not exactly "made". I took my old stock windscreen from my Ninja 500 and cut it down and drilled holes to fit the V. I am getting tired of the buffeting, and have felt that when I stand on my pegs and my head is way above the windscreen, it feels much better without any disturbed air hitting my helmet. So I tried to modify this screen so that it deflected some of the wind that would hit my chest, but not anything above that. I drilled multiple holes so that I can move it up or down if needed.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet as we had driving rain today, but I will update you guys with how it feels on the road.

After I finalize the shape, I'm going to paint it black.

By the way those aren't cracks in the last photo, just scratches.

Last edited by njd; 07-09-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:36 AM

Good luck, hope it works for you. I would like to see how it looks after paint. Have you tried the stock shield flipped upside down, a lot of the forum members here like the results of doing that. I noticed that the shield you have there looks like its on upside down.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 09:03 AM

Garage
+1 on the upside down. I was also thinking that your mod has much the same look and shape of an upside down stocker. I flipped mine early on and the head buffetting stopped. I put a few extra washers on the bottom to tip it out a bit more, and it sits lower when flipped. That seems to have the effect of deflecting the wind from the torso and leaving your head up in clean air.

Your modded shield looks good. I think you'll find the same results as a flip which seems to be what you are looking for. Good luck and don't forget to post finished pics!

Always trust your cape.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 09:39 AM

cheapest farkle ever!!

I noticed the aluminum areas above my footpegs were wearing, from my boots rubbing, around the ankle areas. The cheap fix..... wait for it......

doo hickies you place under furniture to make the item slide more easily. They stick perfectly and look good too!!! White with grey outline, and tirangular shaped. Less than $4.00 at Walmart.

Just thought I would offer my fix!!!! If someone requests photos I will post when I get a chance.

My first attempt at actually posting something of value on this forum!!

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
njd

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowcat13 View Post
Good luck, hope it works for you. I would like to see how it looks after paint. Have you tried the stock shield flipped upside down, a lot of the forum members here like the results of doing that. I noticed that the shield you have there looks like its on upside down.
The previous owner swapped the stock shield for an aftermarket MRA and I'm not a fan of it. So I never had the opportunity to try a flipped stock shield. I've heard good things, but figured I have a windshield in my garage that is just collecting dust, so I may as well experiment with it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:48 PM

My solution
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0123_.jpg (46.5 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0124_.jpg (61.2 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0125_.jpg (64.8 KB, 161 views)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njd View Post
Well not exactly "made". I took my old stock windscreen from my Ninja 500 and cut it down and drilled holes to fit the V. I am getting tired of the buffeting, and have felt that when I stand on my pegs and my head is way above the windscreen, it feels much better without any disturbed air hitting my helmet. So I tried to modify this screen so that it deflected some of the wind that would hit my chest, but not anything above that. I drilled multiple holes so that I can move it up or down if needed.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet as we had driving rain today, but I will update you guys with how it feels on the road.

After I finalize the shape, I'm going to paint it black.

By the way those aren't cracks in the last photo, just scratches.

Kawasaki KLE650 Versys Forum
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Talking Post some photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsrob View Post
I noticed the aluminum areas above my footpegs were wearing, from my boots rubbing, around the ankle areas. The cheap fix..... wait for it......

doo hickies you place under furniture to make the item slide more easily. They stick perfectly and look good too!!! White with grey outline, and tirangular shaped. Less than $4.00 at Walmart.

Just thought I would offer my fix!!!! If someone requests photos I will post when I get a chance.

My first attempt at actually posting something of value on this forum!!
Okay, Go for it and post some photo(s) of your Wal-Mart find!
I'm sure everyone is developing those scuff marks from boots rubbing.

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
njd

Ok so after a couple of rides I can say that I like this new windscreen but it is definitely not perfect. I am going to try moving either moving it down or angling it more sharply.

I like that my helmet is now in open air, but the air off the screen seems to just be catching my helmet, still causing slight buffeting. Also, it seems to be creating a sort of air vacuum. I sometimes feel like there is a lack of breathable air, especially over 60 mph. I don't know what is causing this, it's kind of a strange new sensation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode