Painted Headers? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Dav

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Painted Headers?

My headers are looking particularly sad after almost 4 years in the elements. I was going to flameproof paint them flat black (to reinvigorate them and also to match the colour scheme of my bike) but then weakened at the prospect of all those nooks and crannies that would need cleaning back to bare metal. I've got a set of Delkevic headers inbound and may yet paint the stockers after the switch. Has anyone attempted to VHT paint their headers before? Success? Worth the hassle?
One option would be to paint the new headers...what better time, with them being all shiny and new, right? But I'd like to hear from anyone who's tried painting headers before mucking up brand new ones. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Paint doesn't stick well to stainless steel, especially on high grade T304 stainless steel as used for Delkevic header... Original header may be made of T409 stainless steel. Paint might stick for a while if it's well sanded before. Only high heat ceramic header paint could withstand the heat.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Dav

cheers for that I have the vht flameproof paint and primer already (with silica/ceramic)...sounds like I should def fit the delkevic headers and fool with the stockers in my spare time

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 PM

here's an idea

Pulling the stock headers and buffing with plumbers sanding tape should bring the finish back, just keep the polishing/sanding going in the direction it was originally polished.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:56 PM

Header wrap? I like how that stuff looks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
My advice is don't, instead clean them up with some abrasive materials like comet. My previous bike, a Kawi 500 had duel steel exhaust pipes that came painted to protect them from rust. Stainless like the V has is WAY better. Once you paint an exhaust pipe you have to keep repainting to keep it looking good. Black header paint discolors after only a few months use due to the heat and stuff sticking to the paint with the heat.

If you do paint it sand it down first, apply header primer, then paint. You will need to remove them and heat cure the paint (see directions on the can) in your oven. This will stink up your house and set off all the smoke alarms Don't ask me how I know.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Dav

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You will need to remove them and heat cure the paint (see directions on the can) in your oven. This will stink up your house and set off all the smoke alarms Don't ask me how I know.
Yep, you just nailed another reason I was umming and ahhing about painting the header

Thanks for the advice fellas
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 AM

Can you cure the paint on an outside bar-b-que grill? It won't stink up the house but you may have an urge for a cheese burger whenever you ride..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Can you cure the paint on an outside bar-b-que grill? It won't stink up the house but you may have an urge for a cheese burger whenever you ride..
Or come to Arizona this time of year and put them on the driveway.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer43 View Post
Pulling the stock headers and buffing with plumbers sanding tape should bring the finish back, just keep the polishing/sanding going in the direction it was originally polished.
Just spent 4 hrs sanding my V's down pipes with 2000 grit paper. Came out beautiful considering I didn't remove them from the bike. I just got comfortable under the bike on a foam mat and took my time.

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode