Caribou Cases review - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Caribou Cases review

I went up to Caribou Cases today. Roger is a great guy. We shot the **** while he put my cases together and I really got to witness his whole operation.

What really impressed me is the time and effort he's put in to perfecting his business. He works out of his garage/office behind his home, and he has a lathe, a couple drill presses and other fabrication equipment. Lining his tool bench are a series of jigs for all the cases and bikes he offers products for (which is no small number). He's spent the time researching and testing his products for all these bikes and making jigs so that each one is perfect.

When I arrived, it was my intention to have locks and interior bags installed on a pair of Pelican 1550s. It turns out the 1550s I have are very, very old (produced well before Caribou came into business) and he would have to custom install everything. He was more than willing to do that, but I had already partially talked myself out of using the old, beat and ugly cases in lieu of some newer and larger ones. At the end of the day, his product is a real bargain and I would have ended up saving very little money by using my own cases.

I had decided to go with a set of his largest cases, 40L SKB. They are not thicker (actually 0.1" thinner!) but are wider and longer. This sacrifices a little room on the pegs for a passenger, which Roger has actually figured out to be a men's size 10 boot or smaller. Since I have never had passengers and I don't typically hang out with women that have shoes larger than size 12, this is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

In about 15 minutes, I watched him fit his jigs to the cases, drill, chamfer and install the locks and interior bags. He gathered together my parts for his quick-lock system, printed out a set of directions and sent me on my way. I can't wait to get everything installed.

I'm very pleased I decided to support a local and small shop, and discovered I received an excellent product for good money. Also, we probably exchanged about 20 emails that I got responses to either immediately or within hours. You can't beat support and customer service like that.

I will update this thread with pictures and other experiences from the install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina View Post
Roger is a great guy.
+ 1
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

I'd have bags on my bike right now if:

1) I had the big honking hex key to secure the racks to the mounting points

or

2) Hepco Becker would have sprung the Deutschmark to include one with their racks.

After translating Germinglish to English, it was fairly simple to put the mounting points on. I had to assume some things in a couple places and had to use the bolts to bend the rack slightly into shape on the right side mounting point, but overall fairly simple design. The Versys is really set up with mounting points out of the box.

Going to pick up the hex key tomorrow and it should be no effort after that.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:00 AM

Interesting we both had the same issue with the right side mounting point. You're referring to the 12" bar to the passenger foot rest?? (if I remember correctly? My bike is in the shop being rebuilt.)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sign_guy View Post
Interesting we both had the same issue with the right side mounting point. You're referring to the 12" bar to the passenger foot rest?? (if I remember correctly? My bike is in the shop being rebuilt.)
Yup, exactly. I used the bolt to press-fit the top the hole, then went to do the bottom bolt (under the pass foot peg) and it was off by maybe 1/4". I loosened the top almost all the way and still no-go. So, I twisted it out of the hole, got the bottom in a couple threads then used the top bolt to pull the bar into the hole. There was some resistance tightening it the rest of the way, but it went together.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Here's pics like I promised:

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:32 PM

DeusExMachina , I know this is your thread but I wanted to add pictures of my Caribou Cases after a 70MPH crash on Canada's busiest highway. Today was the first day I've seen my bike since my accident.
It is truly amazing how well the case held up. As well as the Hepco & Becker rack, not even a slight bend.
These cases have been credited for saving the major components of my bike but also no doubt saved my leg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20110711-00113.1.jpg (138.0 KB, 258 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode