Acerbis Flag Handguards - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Acerbis Flag Handguards

Being as I live in the Lowermainland / Fraser Valley area of B.C. and the mornings are getting coooold ( 4 degrees C ) yesterday! I researched a different set of handguards from Acerbis. They are the Flag series that do not mount to the ends of the bars. Check them out at the Acerbis website. I will be picking them up on the weekend. Mount: #2004 $58 CDN. Handguards in red #5502.110.990. $33 CDN. I'll post back when installed, the Acerbis rep. feels they should be an easy install as the mounts do not do duty as brushguards. I've been riding my versys as a daily commuter (90 kms round trip) with a givi windscreen and soft luggage since it was purchaced in Mar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 05:01 PM

I really look forward to seeing them. I will need a set soon! Brrrrrr.....
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Installed flag guards today, took about 20 min. Part # for mount kit is 20004 sorry I missed the 3rd 0. Went for a long highway ride to try them out, what a difference! To mount the brackets you have to loosen your control assemblies on the bars and shift them away from the grips. Slide controls back until they touch the brackets and retighten them. install guards on brackets as per the diagram and adjust to proper position.Warning on the package states that they are only wind and debris deflectors. The mounting brackets arc over the top of the controls, I adjusted them so that the bracket is about 2 mm. above the adjusters for the levers ( you know, the little circles with the numbers on them). The dealer said that if anyone wants a set that they better order soon as the flag series is being discontinued. My final cost came to $110.86 cdn. Sorry no pictures, camera is kablooie! It sure beat messing with the bar ends trying to mount full brackets. On a final note, Oct. 5 is the Xmas toy run for Vancouver. Hope to see any Versys riders at Coquitlam Centre before the ride!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 06:41 AM

I wondered how you were going to get them to fit. My V has no gaps wide enough on the handlebars. I am hoping for something that clamps around the end bars.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 09:21 AM

Sure would be nice to have a pic to see the bars.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:22 AM

I just ordered some from Motorcycle Superstore. I will post pics when I get them.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 09:00 AM

Just curious, what mount kit did you fellas order? Motorcycle superstore has 3 different options (Dirt bike $22.099, ATV $44.99, minibike $44.99)

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 09:16 AM

Here's the handguards I put on. The Acerbis "Touring". They are the largest made and give excellent wind protection.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hlight=Acerbis

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 AM

The reason I might go with the Acerbis Flag handguards is that I have a Kaoko throttle lock. It requires friction with the end of the throttle barrel and the lock, which eliminates the "Touring". I would love to be able to mount the KTM hanguards, but not willing to give up my Kaoko. It's a dilemma, for sure.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 03:23 PM
erm

Did you get a response on which mount kit to use with the Acerbis Flag handguards? I don't see one posted.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Hi ERM. If you check my second post, it gives the part #20004 for the mount kit.The description on the bill was FLAG ATV MNT KIT UNI/CSR#03. I think the CSR#03 refers to the customer service rep. These are not as large as the full mounting brush guards, but they work for me in almost freezing weather.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Checked the pics for the touring guards and they don't look any larger than the Flags. The last couple of mornings there has been FROST on the ground when I head out at 5:30 am, thank Christ for the winter gloves, guards, givi windscreen and the quilted Rainmaster suit to pull on over top of the leathers!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the reply on the mounting kit. Appreciate it.
What color combo kit did you get?

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Got the red ones. Don't quite match the bike,bet who really cares as long as the hands are protected. When I get the camera fixed, I'll try to get pics up.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 08:59 AM

I ended up going with the Powermadd Star series hand guards. I got the black/black w/the larger inserts. I like the ability to modify it to match the weather. Wouldn't have got it if I couldn't have got the understated Black/black option. Not a fan of garish colors and logos.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/pr...p615557&mmyId=

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 PM

I just put on the acerbis flags on my bike last night (cost $80). I drove from Coos Bay OR to Grants Pass OR tuesday night and doing slightly over the speed limit on I-5, my hands and fingers got pretty cold. Made the reverse trip with the flags on and boy did it help. I forgot to mention that I left at 930pm and arrived in Coos Bay at midnight. Temp 45 deg. in Coos Bay. Next I am going to put on a different windshield before the rain starts.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 AM

I just recieved my PowerMadd handguards...Black / Black (Recreation Supply in Sask). 20 min install (10 minutes to reverse bracket that I put together in haste). They look awesome...like they came with the bike....I opted for the mirror kit (should be here in a couple days - from Dennis Kirk). Going after that Duc Hypermotard look.

They are nice and solid; no more cold hands...no more mirror problems, all for +/- $120 CDN inc. priority Shipping. Will post pics as soon as mirrors get in.

Danger

Rick Danger
07 Versys
04 100 ci Merch V-Twin Custom
03 WR 426
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
Hey Rick, I need pics. Are you the same Rick danger I met at the dragon with the cool KlR motard? I think I talked to you again at the KLr ralley at Tellico plains. I would really like to see what you have done to the Versys.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 PM

Hey Golfmuch, Nope...different guy; but strangely enough I did supermotard my '00 KLR (which I sold this year to make room for the V). If there is any justice, I will have pics posted by thursday (UPS predicted delivery).

Rick Danger
07 Versys
04 100 ci Merch V-Twin Custom
03 WR 426
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 12:35 PM

Rick, I'm interested in the pix too. Did you have to move the handlebar controls or anything?

-Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode