Seat options the last thing to do.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to rickescazu
Seat options the last thing to do....

Ok i read here that several swear the Baldwin with Gel is great, and the issue is i have to send them my seat from costa rica and wait with no bike for ???

i have heard good things about the kawa factory gel seat, and would like the extra 1" in height, but not available here. maybe some internet site that sells it?

I went to some upholstery shops here but none have worked with gel, lots can do leather with fancy stitching cheap, and have basic foam but seems a hit and miss if it is better for hours of riding, just tired of sliding forward with a passenger or alone.

so please all of you guys with some serious miles chime in i need help. Im 6"2 and 90 kilos if that helps.

thanks

rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You can get the baldwin without sending your seat in first. Just pay the core charge then when you get your new seat. Send in your stock for a refund or just keep the stocker and lose the core charge. Once i sent in my stock seat i wished i would have hung onto it in case i ever sell the bike then i can sell the baldwin seperate. Was lucky enough to buy a stock seat from a member of the forum a little while back. Also i got the baldwin tall which is 1" taller than stock. Just recently completed a 1400 mile trip on the baldwin 850 the first day then then 550 the 2nd .butt was fine

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Hey Rick, I'm 'bout 6'2" also.
I found that putting a few washers/spacers, under the front latch,
along with a strip of "all-round" to allow the seat tab to fit in snug,
raised it 1/4 to 1/2", surprisingly little, but the difference was huge.
Mind you, I did have extra stuffing in the seat already.
I'll run out and take a pic!
RIGHT BACK!
Abit of butchery but no-one sees it, the all-round holes didn't line up perfect but fit with some butchery

Put 3k on it so far, you may want longer screws and more washers.
But this made my butt happier.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 06-19-2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: PIC.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:07 PM

I guess seat comfort must be a relative thing. Compared to my Ninja 500 the stock seat is very comfortable and has yet to produce any posterior pain, compared to my bicycle it is outrageously comfortable.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Just fyi the Kawi Gel seat is 1" lower not taller....Look into Spencer seat mod....he will turn your seat around in one day so you just wait the shipping times. I am planning to get mine done as soon as I can get a box to fit the seat.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Just fyi the Kawi Gel seat is 1" lower not taller....Look into Spencer seat mod....he will turn your seat around in one day so you just wait the shipping times. I am planning to get mine done as soon as I can get a box to fit the seat.
Price is super cheap, but right on his FAQ he says will not accept seats from outside USA and i live in Costa Rica so i guess that is not an option for me.
Also i thought Kawa offered both 1" higher and1" lower gel seats?
thanks.

rick
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:02 AM

I'd let your local shop give it a try. I added an inch of soft foam over the stock foam, did some contouring to lose the slope and adjust the seating position, then put the original cover back on. Plenty here have done similar. The seat looks stock and there is a noticeable difference in comfort. Is it a 850 mile seat? No!
But 350 yesterday and while I was ready to get off, there was no significant discomfort. The higher seat made my knees more comfortable as well. My seat mod cost 75 cents and was turned around in one day.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:38 AM

If you have a local that has experience building motorcycle seats then I would do that for sure.
Changing the shape to more of a dished pan, like a tractor seat or a harley seat, and adding some foam to the front, will do wonders for comfort. Much more so than any particular foam or gel pad will. That's the primary modification all of the custom builders perform - creating a better shape to better support your butt, then applying a new custom seat cover.

I have at least a couple of thousand on my DIY mod now and it's just fantastic. I have about $25 in mine.

Here's my DIY link: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=seat+mod

You could even print it out and take it to your local upholstery guy.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickescazu View Post
Price is super cheap, but right on his FAQ he says will not accept seats from outside USA and i live in Costa Rica so i guess that is not an option for me.
Also i thought Kawa offered both 1" higher and1" lower gel seats?
thanks.

rick

Sorry I didn't know Spencer didn't take seats from Outside the US...As far as I know Kawi only made a lower seat not taller. Perhaps someone else can shed light on that.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
If you have a local that has experience building motorcycle seats then I would do that for sure.
Changing the shape to more of a dished pan, like a tractor seat or a harley seat, and adding some foam to the front, will do wonders for comfort. Much more so than any particular foam or gel pad will. That's the primary modification all of the custom builders perform - creating a better shape to better support your butt, then applying a new custom seat cover.

I have at least a couple of thousand on my DIY mod now and it's just fantastic. I have about $25 in mine.

Here's my DIY link: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=seat+mod

You could even print it out and take it to your local upholstery guy.
great idea, i am printing as i write. One question looks like maybe you dropped your ride hight a bit, if anything i need to go up a tad .5" to 1". your thoughts CJB? i will try this first as i hate to pay shipping and duty on stuff i already own. i am shooting for a 500mi a day seat so i guess i can try a few times for just the cost to ship back to USA and then if i cannot get it right i can always dump $600 for a new one....

thanks for great advice and pointers guys....

rick

Last edited by rickescazu; 06-20-2011 at 12:38 PM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 07:13 PM

Question Taller Gel Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
As far as I know Kawi only made a lower seat not taller. Perhaps someone else can shed light on that.
Kawasaki also offers a tall gel seat in Europe. But it is pricey!
Attached is a photo from the Kawasaki Europe site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w439h321_000003404AF10EE0.jpg (36.4 KB, 227 views)

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 PM

If you have unlimited funds and can get past the unusual looks, I doubt you'll find anything more comfortable than the Russel Day-Long seat. I had one built for my Nomad; and am also having one made for the Versys.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:26 PM

You can see the Corbin in my pics.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Can't see photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Can-Get-You-A-Toe View Post
You can see the Corbin in my pics.
I am unable to see your posted photos.

“Don’t bother me with DETAILS!”
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
If you have unlimited funds and can get past the unusual looks, I doubt you'll find anything more comfortable than the Russel Day-Long seat. I had one built for my Nomad; and am also having one made for the Versys.
This!

I'll have the next bike I buy (for use on anything more than day rides) outfitted with a Day-Long!
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 10:45 AM

Here's a couple photos of the new Russel on my 2011.

Total price, including shipping both ways was $490.00. This one is all vinyl, no leather. I had a leather one on my Nomad, and didn't feel it was worth the money- it's considerably more delicate than vinyl. And if you have a sheepskin pad or whatever on top of the seat, what good is the leather doing?
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:15 PM

Dude, ND, how comfortable is that seat? It looks awesome.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
Dude, ND, how comfortable is that seat? It looks awesome.
Not to answer for him, but to give another opinion...the Russell Day-Long seats are all day comfortable just as the name implies! I've ridden 12+ hour days (in the saddle, not total) and been ready to ride the next day! But that also has to do with the rest of the bike setup, but the seat is a great help! $500-$600 is a tough pill to swallow for a Russell Day-Long seat, but they are WELL worth it! (no I don't work for Russell, just a happy customer!)
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 AM

To me, it is well worth the price, and is extremely comfortable. I could not truthfully say, "It's better than Brand X,Y, or Z," because I have never tried any other brand or do-it-yourself mod.

What I do know is if you start searching various seat threads, you will look a loooong time to find anyone that complains about a Russel DayLong, but you can find all sorts of complaints about other makers, from Corbin to Mustang to Baldwin to blah blah blah.

Now granted, the complaints are likely a small percentage of actual seats sold....I guess I've just seen so many guys try about six different seats/seat mods where the time and money could've went towards a Russel seat to begin with.

Having said that, I spent $20.00 on a SweetCheeks set-up for my KLR, and thought it was awesome!

So if the do-it-yourself seat mod works, gel seat pad, etc., etc., go for it! No need to spend huge dollars. But I have been extremely satisfied with the Russel- I had one on my Kawasaki Nomad also. I rode 400+ miles every day on a two week trip, and my rear-end was the one part the never complained. That made a believer out of me on the Russel DayLong seat.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 PM
njd

I have a Baldwin seat with gel insert and can ride for hours on end, no problem. Of course it helps to stop for gas and stretch out your legs once in a while.

However, you could always take your stock seat to an upholstery shop and ask them to create a custom seat with different foam. It would probably be the less expensive route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode