Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Quietest Windscreen

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Arion 
#1 · (Edited)
Last week I purchased a new KLX250SF at a great price. After riding it through the canyons for a few days, I've realized how much wind noise I have with my stock Versys windscreen. It is a dull roar that is fatiguing after a while. I had always figured it was my helmet, but the KLX250SF is so much quieter without any windscreen. When I lean forward behind the stock screen or stand up on the pegs the V is much quieter. The worst air flow is right in my helmet zone.

Short of ripping off my stock screen or wearing earplugs, any suggestions on an aftermarket screen? I'm looking at GIVI, MRA VarioTouring and CalSci although I hate the look of the CalSci. I'm just over 6'1" with a 32" inseam. I'm not that worried about wind protection, other than I would like a quieter ride. Is this possible? Would Madstad Adjustable mounts help? Do I need to go buy a Ninja 1000 because I will.:D My wife would prefer that I buy earplugs, especially after bringing home the KLX250SF to become "her" motorcycle. :rolleyes:

Forgot to add, I have an 09. Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
The windshield is a common complaint. Some have replaced it, others have moved it up / down, others have flipped it 180 degrees and moved it up/down.

No single solution. I use earplugs cause my HJC helmet IS noisy compared to others. I can modify the noise by how far down I flip the face shield. Also it gets noisier the faster I go. Furthermore, some days it seems the air is noisier than others - very noisy air last night, but it was also quite cool.

BTW, at 85-95 mph I notice no wind noise at all. :joke:

#6 ·
The windshield is a common complaint. Some have replaced it, others have moved it up / down, others have flipped it 180 degrees and moved it up/down.

No single solution. I use earplugs cause my HJC helmet IS noisy compared to others. I can modify the noise by how far down I flip the face shield. Also it gets noisier the faster I go. Furthermore, some days it seems the air is noisier than others - very noisy air last night, but it was also quite cool. ...
+ 1

There are dozens of experimental trials and potential solutions discussed on this forum. Do a search.

I have noticed on this forum that guys over 6 foot seem to face a tougher wind issue on the Versys than the average height guys. I am average height, and I just tilted back my Givi, and it works pretty well for me on the middle setting. When I get my ear plugs to seal well, it even eliminates the cowl buzz. ;) Good Luck. :thumb:

#3 ·
I wear earplugs regardless of which motorcycle I am on. Wind noise causes hearing loss over the long term. The plus side is that the ear plugs block wind noise which lets you hear other sounds better. I have a bluetooth headset in my helmet and can converse with fellow riders or listen to music without the annoying wind noise. This is true even on my luxury touring bike.

#4 ·
Zac,

I too am 6'1" to 6'2" and 32" inseam ( taller torso ), and I have a Givi W/S. It is mounted all the way up on the stock mount. It is noisy.

I also have the bars up via a riser and my head is in the turbulent air. I'm gonna pull the riser and see if the change helps as I've played with moving my head around while riding and the quiet air is not far away! I also thought about spacing the W/S out on the top mounts just a little to ever so slightly change the angle.

I like the look and size of the Givi, but it's not quite perfect.....:thumb:

#7 ·
Just to give another perspective on this ;), I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, bought the medium as recommended on the site and it was much too short for me to even start to block the wind at highway speeds.

I now have the XL and I can still easily see over it.

But everyone's different in what they want, etc., just thought I'd chime in on that aspect.

#8 ·
Thanks for the great comments from those with a lot more experience than me. I've read a lot of the archived threads as well. It kind of confirms what I've suspected that at my height on the V, I probably won't get exactly the sound level I'm looking for. I appreciate the comments on the Givi and the CalSci. It's good to know there will still be some noise. I was also curious to know if I'd be able to see over the XL CalSci. Earplugs are a cheap fix and definitely will make long rides better. I have found I like my stock screen the best at the lowest setting.

I was just surprised at how much quieter the KXL250 is at the same speeds without a screen and it got me thinking. It is a narrow bike which I'm sure helps. Thanks!

#9 ·
Leaning the windscreen back by modifying the mounts addresses the cause of all noise and buffeting problems, especially with a taller and more obstructive windscreen... I cut my mounts in half, ground them down and assembled with drilled flat steel bar to lean it back as much as possible, without having my handguards touch it at full steering lock. Excellent results with my 16.5" tall Mike's Shields tinted windscreen, and it also looks better leaned back and tucked down.

#10 ·
Invader,

I like what you've done with the windscreen - very nice and it does look much better, IMHO, at the angle you've mounted it. :thumb:

But . . . what I'm especially interested in is what appears to be a three-bladed variable pitch prop in the background. Are you, by chance, a ultra-light or sport aviation pilot? If so, what aircraft are you fortunate enough to fly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.