Autoswitch Garage Door Opener - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Autoswitch Garage Door Opener

I posted a while back on a "poor man's Autoswitch garage door opener". It was basically a way to incorporate a modified garage door opener into any switched 12V circuit on the bike so that when the circuit was activated (illuminate brake light, flash high beams, etc.), the opener would get juice and send out it's signal. The mod works in theory and practice, but it's not quite as polished as the real Autoswitch product. I found that I did not like the low tech approach, so I ponied up the $30 for a real, bonafide Autoswitch AS5PG2.

It's hard to tell from pictures on their website, but the unit is very small. I did not make measurements, but I would estimate the dimensions at about 1.5"x1.5"x.25".

I assumed it was some sort of circuit board, logic type thing inside, but I spoke with the manufacturer and learned that it's actually a very small mechanical relay. All it does is close a set of contact to complete a circuit, just like the poor man's version. The only difference is that the Autoswitch doesn't actuate until it receives two pulses of a 12V signal versus the poor man's version which is a straight on or off thing. I assume it uses a small capacitor or something to store up juice from each pulse before firing the relay. (BTW, I have not exhaust every bit of electrical knowledge that I may or may not have. In fact, I might be wrong on every bit of what I've said here for all I know, but it sure does sound good doesn't it. ).

Anyway, it works. It's pretty cool actually. I chose to trigger it with my high beam circuit. Now when I get near my driveway, I just flash my brights a couple of times and the garage door magically starts to open. Pretty cool, huh?

For anyone that wants to try this, let me give you a couple of points of advice:
  1. Test your autoswitch before you install it. There is a quick procedure detailed online (not in the instructions that come with the unit) on how to test it offline using a 12V power source. Mine was good, but they obviously have a reason for going to the trouble of putting the instructions on their site. I did have some problems with my installation, and I regretted not having done the test because I could not rule the switch out as a possible culprit. I ended up removing the whole thing and performing the test.
  2. CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS! I fought and fought with my installation job thinking that I had checked everything. I even soldered several of the key connections instead of using crimp connectors. With all of that, I found a bad solder job that I had done on the garage door opener itself. After re-doing that, it has worked every single time.
  3. If you don't know how to solder, use this as an opportunity to learn, or get some help with that part. Soldering is quite easy (and actually kinda fun). It only costs a few bucks for the tools and comes in very handy. I re-learned how to do it about a year ago and I've used it a ton since.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I wondered how these things worked. I've been factory and military trained solderer. It's come in handy over the years. Recently, I wired up a power panel on my bike but my soldering iron just wasn't getting hot enough. Out of desperation - I used my lighter and I got a nice clean joint. Nothing worse when soldering and you get a cold joint.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 02:32 PM

I carry the spare garage door remote in my riding jacket. And just push on the pocket while I pull into the driveway.

It's free.
It works 100% of the time.
Requires no soldiering.
Works on more than one bike.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
I carry the spare garage door remote in my riding jacket. And just push on the pocket while I pull into the driveway.

It's free.
It works 100% of the time.
Requires no soldiering.
Works on more than one bike.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Where the fun in that?

Some of the best things in life cost a lot, are unpredictable, and now that I think of it, require soldering.

Okay, maybe not so much the soldering.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 02:49 PM

Well, I went through a similar thought process. When I realized I could just carry the remote I was getting ready to tear apart.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

In all seriousness, my wife came downstairs as I was finishing up the Autoswitch install (or re-re-reinstall I should say) and asked me why I didn't just carry the clicker in my tankbag. I'm sure I looked pretty stupid standing there in my garage with those question marks floating over my head, but for a minute I'm sure that's exactly what was happening.

Then I remembered that the Autoswitch is a farkle and therefore does not require explanation.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 03:12 PM

It's a farkelism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I just made that word up)

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBreath View Post
In all seriousness, my wife came downstairs as I was finishing up the Autoswitch install (or re-re-reinstall I should say) and asked me why I didn't just carry the clicker in my tankbag. I'm sure I looked pretty stupid standing there in my garage with those question marks floating over my head, but for a minute I'm sure that's exactly what was happening.

Then I remembered that the Autoswitch is a farkle and therefore does not require explanation.
Amen brother....

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Good pics, Lou. I also left my wires their full length for now. They sure give you a boatload of wire for the little LED don't they?

BTW, I put my remote in almost the same place. I stuck my AS module to the left side of my headlight shroud, right beside the city light bulb housing.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBreath View Post

Also the cool factor has no price. It sure beats looking like you are grabbing your breast everytime you go into the garage. People probably wonder what else you are grabbing when you go into the garage.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 AM

i got a keychain remote for my garage door

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 07:26 PM

Autoswitch

If you use one of these you won't go back. I had both types on my last bike the pulseed one for the Garage door and and latching one for Aux lighting. They work great and you don't have to add switches anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode