Hepco/Becker engine guard vibration - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hepco/Becker engine guard vibration

Is it just me or are there others that noticed more vibration since they added their Hepco and Becker engine bars?

Today while riding I put my left hand on the frame and it didn't have vibration, but when I put my hand on the bar I could feel the vibration. That vibration transfers back to me.

I tightened the two large engine bolts first, then the rear ones and then the cross bar, so there is no stress to the bars and all the screws are tight. I'll need to try some things to cut the vibration feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 12:34 AM

I'm sure it vibrates with the rest of the bike, but i really didn't notice a difference after installing the bars.

Gustavo
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
I'm sure it vibrates with the rest of the bike, but i really didn't notice a difference after installing the bars.

Gustavo
That's the problem, it does not vibrate like the rest of the bike. The frame had no vibes but the bars did. I'll try playing with the bar screws today.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

I'll answer my own post. Today I slightly loosened the rear screws, nearest the legs, on the Hepco bars. That alone really cut the vibration. Before that at 6000 rpm it really vibrated but now it is about normal.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:49 AM

Noticed the same thing

Atgatt, I installed my HB bars yesterday and immediately noticed exactly what you described but it was primarily in the range of 2500 to 4000 rpm.

Building on your suggestion, I cut some heavy rubber fuel hose to take the place of the metal spacers used in the rear (bike center) HB mount. Definitely helped but it still feels more vibey than before the HB bars.

During install, I noticed the gap between motor-mount and frame tab and threw some washers in there. I've read this morning that others (Gustavo included) may think that these are unneeded and may even cause some vibes. Indeed, I did do each motor mount one side at a time so may have seen an artificially large gap between mount and frame tab.

I'll try removing those spacing washers today and let you know what shakes.

Oh, and I really like the look of the bars but, damn, are these things heavy! I could use them for doing curls...but I do have pretty skinny arms!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

bkarger, that is an old post and since then I put the bars as close to their spacers as I could naturally get them with the screws loose and then tightened.

The right bar went right up against the metal spacer nearest the seat, but the left bar left a decent gap. For that I added a rubber spacer so the right bar wouldn't flex in when I tightened that screw. That really cut down on the vibes, but like so many others, that left support screw shears and I've replaced it twice but no more. Now I just leave in their broke and I've added strong tie-wraps that go around the HB bars and frame bars on each sided where the HB bars come closest to the frame. So basically the tie-wraps are pulling in the back of the HB bars near the support screws. There is no added vibration now except for the normal vibration.

It has been a while since I put them on, but the bars did not hit me as being heavy considering. I think the bars look good and are functional too. MUCH better than the sliders I had on before.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 09:22 AM

The main thing is they really do work. My bike has been down a few times for various reasons (not all my fault) and there has been no damage to the bike...just some scratches on the bars. For what they are intended to do they work great. I didn't notice any additional vibes, but that just means that I didn't notice them. They could be worse.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 AM

You guys are fast! I appreciate the update and protection reports. I didn't know about the bolts shearing so I'll have to look that up.

I may also remove the washers I added in the engine mount area to see if that gets the vibes back to before-the-HB levels.

Thanks.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:25 PM

I have not notice any increase in vibration since adding HB crash bars.
I didn't add any spacers to my motor mount gaps. Simply bolted everything back together.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 PM

I installed my HB crash bars about two weeks ago and I can feel more vibrations in the seat and foot pegs. But I'm getting used to it.

Dave
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:46 AM

Hello everyone

I've installed the HB guards on my Aprilia Pegaso Strada. The guard vibrates wheh I rev up the engine. Later found out that one the the weld points is broken. Still waiting for my 2011 Versys...

KlVersys
kuala Lumpur
Malaysia
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlVersys View Post
Hello everyone

I've installed the HB guards on my Aprilia Pegaso Strada. The guard vibrates wheh I rev up the engine. Later found out that one the the weld points is broken. Still waiting for my 2011 Versys...

KlVersys
kuala Lumpur
Malaysia
Bro and nice to see you here.

Vib is normal on a parallel twin. Worst engine configuration and we all have lived with it.

I feel and see the vib on warm up phase after that it's normal.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Ted

The HB bars are great protection. But I also had to add rubber washers at the back screws to reduce vibes. Also add a check of those screws to your normal pre-ride. Even with lock tight I have had them become loose. Then you really will feel vibes when you ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode