Mirrors - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mirrors

Anybody experiencing shoulder seighting!!!
When I look into my mirrors, the only thing I can see is my elbows and shoulders. I never see any cars behind me, which is kind of scary

Any of you switched mirrors or used a specific mirror extender. If so, what model and what is the result?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 AM

Iíve also wondered about the mirrors; I have a similar issue. Iím considering the mirrors that go on the outside ends of the handle bars; however, I have no experience with that type of mirror (curious about the vibration, visibility, and clearance). Has any used this type of mirror and how would you describe your experience?
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:21 AM

I've got the mirror wideners that TwistedThrottle sells, and they work just fine. I've got a clear view behind, and they don't get in the way of anything on the controls.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:41 AM

Mirror idea

Look at the EMGO web site in their catalog. They sell early KZ style mirrors that have a longer reach [7" vs. 4" on the stock ones]. I think they are a little taller to.
I had a KZ 750 for 10 years, those mirrors should work good.
Rod
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 07:29 AM

Anybody tried them?

Has anyone actually tried these? Parts Unlimited has the EMGO oem mirror for $14.95 each and another brand that's looks exactly the same for 2 for $14.95 (2025105). If no one replies I guess I'll pony up the cash and found out myself.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 02:46 PM

One thing I learned was cheap mirrors suck.

I got these from americansportbike dot com expensive but worth every cent.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 07:45 PM

Thanks. Sounds like I'll go the more expensive route.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:46 AM

Might sound like a stupid question but did you remove both standard mirrors to put the new mirrors on each side? Or you just added one round mirror (they are expensive indeed!)? And does it look decent on the bike (hard to say with the small cropped image)?
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:54 AM

I will find a better pic but you can see they give the bike a nice look. Can't speak for the Versys but you take them off and put in a little plug.

These stand up to any vibration. Notice they are on a Buell.

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:22 AM

It does look even better then the standard mirrors, at least on your Buell it does, nice bike you got there. They're expensive but worth it if it avoids getting rearended at least once...
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 11:54 AM

beauty is in the eye of the beholder
not a matter of discussion

adding a bunch of inches to the width of my bike to me is a serious no-no
but again, that is my personal opinion, other people might not care

getting rear ended on a mc is not very likely, according to the Hurt Study multi vehicle crashes with an impact on the mc from 8:00 to 4:00 only make up for 3.8% of such crashes
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:12 PM

It lets you see the cops behind you quicker too.

My friend was plowed through while sitting at a light. The mirrors would not have helped.
I got them because all I saw with the standard mirrors were my shoulders.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
It lets you see the cops behind you quicker too.

My friend was plowed through while sitting at a light. The mirrors would not have helped.
I got them because all I saw with the standard mirrors were my shoulders.
No shizzle! When I bought the Triumph Trophy a few years ago, I decided to wind it out on a somewhat empty road near work to see how it felt. When the light turned green I took off and redlined it up to about 75, then back off. I looked in the mirror and there were a couple of motocops far behind me, with lights going. I pull over, they write me a ticket, and then the one guy says, hey, I know these things are fun, but you should be more careful, check your six before you do that. I said, you were right behind me at the stop light, weren't you? Yup, big old blind spot right behind me, big enough to hide two fat-ass police Harleys sitting right on my tail!
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 01:12 AM

As I was reading the posts to this thread I started yawning until I got to AlexDz's story---sorry Alex I had to laugh; it was a funny story. But I bet the ticket wasn't cheap.

I've seen bike pictures with these mirrors but as yet haven't seen any on the road. Before I buy them I'll have to sit on a bike and see if the view is all that much better. But I agree about widening the bike anymore than stock; I would like to see something that goes up and in on the grip or under something that would keep it from sticking out.

Cheers,
David
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greeks never wrote obituaries---they only asked one question---Did this person lived life with Passion?
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 06:42 PM

I'm having the same problem with not being able to see what's directly behind me. What I would like, is some mirrors that look like the stock mirrors, but extend out further.

--- Brock ---
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:09 PM

Just got these in and installed. They look and work great, and I can see behind me now. They don't appear to do much for the vibration but it's no worse than it was. Even though they came form Hong Kong they only took about 7 days to get here to the US.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10mm-...QQcmdZViewItem
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 PM

So , realistically, is there no way to get the stock mirrors to where you are able to view a car behind you? I can't figure out a way.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

I finally went with the mirror extender from Twisted throttle (learned about the one from Speedy too late) and they work great, I can now see clearly behind. Took about 30min to install.
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 06:59 AM

Here is part of an article on webbikeworld.com. It mentions some Triumph mirrors from the new Speed Triple. I'm going to order a set this week.

"From "K.K.": "In regards to your article "The Kawasaki Versys Part 4: Accessories and Farkle for the Versys" you talk about the mirror issue. I wanted to comment on this and I am including what I posted on versys.co.uk that solved the mirror issue for me.

I, like others, found the field of view provided by the stock mirrors lacking. I could not see behind me through the mirrors without moving my arms.

I looked at bar end mirrors and did not like the way the stuck out and if I split lanes (filter for those across the pond) I was afraid of loosing them. Other bar end type mirrors required cutting the grips and mounting them at the end of the bars but these reduced the space for my hands and with winter gloves that was unacceptable.

I also looked at mirror extenders but they looked weird and I was afraid the mirrors would vibrate even more. So I looked at a lot of bikes and tried different mirrors on my Versys.

As a result , I found a solution for the narrow mirrors on the Versys, at least for me. I put a set of mirrors from a Triumph Triple 1050 on my Versys and the problem is solved. These mirrors stick out a little over 1 inch more than the stock mirrors and I can see behind now. They are also black, have an oval shape, look better, and do not seem to vibrate as much.

Here are the Triumph part numbers: LH - T2060050, RH - T2060150. The total was $140 USD. Make sure you get the mirrors with the adapter (it should be included) since the male end on the Triumph mirrors are bigger than the female mount on the Versys. Don't forget to take the rubber sleeve off the stock mirrors and put it on the new mirrors.

Feel free to pass on. Looking forward to more on this bike from you. Thanks."

The original article can be found here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ccessories.htm

--- Brock ---
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Emgo mirrors

I just bought some mirrors from Emgo. They say they are replacements for Kawi KZs. Part No. 20-26791 (LH) and 20-26792 (RH). They look good I think. They work "OK". Better than the stockers, but not as much better as I had hoped.

They are a bit wider and a bit higher. I can see a car behind me out of one or other mirrors -- usually not both. They are an improvement, and I'll probably keep them on until I find something better.

One picture show the stock mirror next to the Emgo. The other shows one of each mirror on the bike.

-Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9842.JPG (42.9 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9844.JPG (56.1 KB, 221 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode