windshield mod to reduce helmet noise - Wow! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talking windshield mod to reduce helmet noise - Wow!

I couldn't find the previous thread quickly so I'm starting a new one.

Someone wrote of putting some washers under the two bottom bolts holding the Givi windscreen on to reduce the wind. I tried it today and boy does it work. I put three washers between the windsreen and the bracket on the bottom bolts (neoprene one against the windshield and two nylon ones behind it against the bracket) and the wind noise and buffeting is remarkably less. For the first time I'm able to ride on the highway without ear plugs. And my head is not bounced around like before.

Whoever you are - you're a genius and an ear saver.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 12:43 AM

can you post a picture of the washers and the screen? I want to see what they look like and get a better idea of how it is set up.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 06:30 AM

Hey Doc,

Pictures / part no's and sequence of these washers would be awesome....I'm 6'2" and am getting killed by noise on the highway! Also, what position is your Givi in? Bottom / middle / /top?

Appreciate your help!

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Silva View Post
Hey Doc,

Pictures / part no's and sequence of these washers would be awesome....I'm 6'2" and am getting killed by noise on the highway! Also, what position is your Givi in? Bottom / middle / /top?

Appreciate your help!
I've not had the Givi windscreen at any point yet. I did, however, switch to the Vario windscreen with the adjustable 3" wing at the top. I'm 6'-4"+ and it made a huge difference for me. I rode about 350 miles this weekend nearly all at 70mph-85mph, and I was very comfortable. Having said that, I do believe that riding style, riding position on the bike, and tolerance for wind noise and buffeting all vary from rider to rider. In other words, two riders who are both 6'-2" may not have the same reaction given similar setups to each other.

If you haven't tried the Vario, you might give it a shot if the washer addition doesn't work out. The Vario seems to work for some, and for some it's just so-so. I have good luck with mine.

Jeff
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 AM

Jeff,

Thanks a bunch! If this doesn't work out, then I will certainly try the Vario...on the longer rides, I specially begin to feel it towards the end when I'm a bit tired as well....not a good thing!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 07:38 AM

I'm with BoogDaddy, the Vario is far better for me hands down over my Givi. I'm not ready to give up on the Givi just yet though, as I feel for me in Ohio with COLD weather approaching it will come in handy (some how.)

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
The best mod I ever did was install the stock windshield upside down. I run the calsi. in the winter.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 AM

I run the Givi and im very happy with it but im only 5,7...... heres what i read to make my decision to buy the Givi , but i must say that the vario is better looking .

http://http://www.webbikeworld.com/m...ys/windscreen/
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 AM

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:20 PM

Question

Any updates on the type of washers used to create the tilt? What length of screw did you need to use after that to get it on? Pics? where you bought the washers and screws?
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 10:23 PM

Were the washers those thick plastic plumbing washers used in the top of tap cartridges? Or flat washers?

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 06:07 AM

On my previous bike I put the Winglet at the top of my screen:

http://www.saeng.com/2018.htm

It reduced noise and felt wind, but...I could adjust it as I rode because the stems that held it flexed so I would "fine tune" it with my left hand. What position worked one day going the same way as always didn't work on other days because it mattered which way the wind was blowing and how hard. It was ugly too.

What I may try on my Givi is to change how it attaches by making the two upper attachment points, pivot points, and the lower attachment points having one secured front/back motion within a certain amount of degrees that can lock in place easily anywhere within those degrees.

First I'll try washers to give me an idea what differences I see.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
On my previous bike I put the Winglet at the top of my screen:

http://www.saeng.com/2018.htm

It reduced noise and felt wind, but...I could adjust it as I rode because the stems that held it flexed so I would "fine tune" it with my left hand. What position worked one day going the same way as always didn't work on other days because it mattered which way the wind was blowing and how hard. It was ugly too.

What I may try on my Givi is to change how it attaches by making the two upper attachment points, pivot points, and the lower attachment points having one secured front/back motion within a certain amount of degrees that can lock in place easily anywhere within those degrees.

First I'll try washers to give me an idea what differences I see.

What kind of washers do you plan on using? Also, do you think that edging that the company sells is worth a try?
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker75 View Post
What kind of washers do you plan on using? Also, do you think that edging that the company sells is worth a try?
Just regular washers to experiment with. I just won't crank them tight.

No, I tried the edging once just by itself and didn't see much change. Save your money on that.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 12:45 AM

It was a Powerbronze screen, but it should have the same effect on Givi's...

I used two nylon washers to create a spacer about 1 cm tall and tilt the windscreen back a little. You can experiment with different tilt angles. Depending on which screen you have and how tall you are, different angles may work better for you.

Gustavo
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you guys. I don't have any photos of the washers etc. As I wrote in the first post, I used a neoprene washer against the windshield, then two nylon washers, then the rubber gasket that comes with the brackets. The washers are standard #10 from Home Depot. They're just under .25 inch thick all together. I used the stock bolts and nuts which made it tough to get the nut threaded at first. I'll probably eventually get longer bolts. I didn't crank down the bolts very tight and they did seem to be a bit loose yesterday. I tightened them down a bit again - we'll see how well they stay tight. It might have just been some settling.

'hope this helps.

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 05:13 AM

I purchased the Vario wind screen, and despite the adjustability, I was still having lots of wind noise and buffeting at highway speeds to the point that it sounded like a tornado in my head. To remedy this, I removed the adjustable wing of the Vario and replaced it with the stock wind screen the bike came with. No my ride is very quiet. I can even hear the engine at 75 mph, and my face shield doesn't get covered in condensation if I ride in the fog. Hopefully the picture come through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00350.jpg (77.3 KB, 637 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 06:19 AM

I tried this yesterday by putting in longer screws in the two bottom holes, loosening the top screws and then sliding plastic "door jam shims" in between the bottom and top screws so I could adjust for a lot or little tilt quickly.

There was more wind blast feel because the screen was lower. But considering all there is to consider, what works or does not work for one person with a screen, is on the most part an individual bases.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:59 AM

I made some brackets that would extend the height of the Versys windshield bracket by about 4" and mounted the Give windshield on the highest points. It works quiet well as the air goes over the top of my helmet drastically reducing wind noise and buffeting.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 05:14 PM.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
It was a Powerbronze screen, but it should have the same effect on Givi's...

I used two nylon washers to create a spacer about 1 cm tall and tilt the windscreen back a little. You can experiment with different tilt angles. Depending on which screen you have and how tall you are, different angles may work better for you.

Gustavo
Is that the MRA windscreen? I saw something like that in the twisted throttle magazine. How does is work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode