My $5.00 radiator rock guard!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My $5.00 radiator rock guard!!

been wanting a radiator rock guard for my V....but i didn't like the flashy expensive ones out there....and if you know me....i like to do it cheap and easier at home.......went to Lowe's home improvement...bought a piece of 36" plastic gutter guard (brown) for $1.98....cut the joint connecting ends off..trimmned it to the length of the radiator(including the water tanks) ...then i took two pieces of 1 inch wide aluminum i had laying around, pop riveted them to each end, painted the whole thing flat black, i used waterproof VELCRO on the aluminum ends to stick it to the tanks.....added a few little pieces of foam ot keep it from bouncing around , and finished it off with few nylon zip ties for good measure.....should flow plenty of air as it sits off the grill completely, peels right off if i need to, and should block all but the biggest of rocks! In case your wondering if the velcro will hold it...YEP.. i used the same stuff to attach my FENDA EXTENDA......didn't want to drill holes in the plastics....it's not going anywhwere!!! tell me what you guys think.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0955.jpg (218.4 KB, 650 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0958.jpg (206.8 KB, 725 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0959.jpg (180.2 KB, 877 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

$5.00 radiator rock guard

forgot to show a pic of the fenda extenda....i used vercro to attatch it also, used a 2 inch wide strip from side to side.....holds up great and it's waterproof
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0957.jpg (181.7 KB, 597 views)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamichop007 View Post
been wanting a radiator rock guard for my V....but i didn't like the flashy expensive ones out there....and if you know me....i like to do it cheap and easier at home.......went to Lowe's home improvement...bought a piece of 36" plastic gutter guard (brown) for $1.98....cut the joint connecting ends off..trimmned it to the length of the radiator(including the water tanks) ...then i took two pieces of 1 inch wide aluminum i had laying around, pop riveted them to each end, painted the whole thing flat black, i used waterproof VELCRO on the aluminum ends to stick it to the tanks.....added a few little pieces of foam ot keep it from bouncing around , and finished it off with few nylon zip ties for good measure.....should flow plenty of air as it sits off the grill completely, peels right off if i need to, and should block all but the biggest of rocks! In case your wondering if the velcro will hold it...YEP.. i used the same stuff to attach my FENDA EXTENDA......didn't want to drill holes in the plastics....it's not going anywhwere!!! tell me what you guys think.......
i like it.... looks good chop007......cain't beat the price !!!.....gotta always be thinkin!!!!!!.........

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:27 AM

i've been looking for a rad guard to my biggest issue with it what wil it do temperature wise wont it block air flow for cooling the engine have you noticed any difference other than that it looks much better than does shinny things going around
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 AM

Great job! You've saved us a lot of money and thank you.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:24 PM

Velcro is good stuff. You can also consider 3M VHB tape for this sort of thing. Not as removable but holds stuff really well, way better than you expect. You can get it at Wal-Mart next to the other mounting tapes, it's the gray stuff with the red backing.

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to hellcatz
That is awesome! Great job!
Think this just became my mini-project for this weekend.

Ideas like this is why I love this site...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

there's no negative airflow issues, it sits of the grill completely, adhears to the tanks, so it's about a quarter inch off the grill fins, if you look at the finished pics , i went a step further and punched a few round holes in the divided areas, just to prevent hotspots.....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:40 AM

great job!

That is called American ingenuity... Why spend a fortune on every custom plastic part from china!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:30 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Tom327Cat
Thanks for the VHB tape tip! Used that and some rubber sheeting to make a el-cheapo fender extension.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom327Cat View Post
Thanks for the VHB tape tip! Used that and some rubber sheeting to make a el-cheapo fender extension.

That looks like a piece of ruber roof membane, is that what it is? I was thinking of using that but was concerned it would be to flexible. Looks like I have to hunt down some VHB tape.

Mike
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Tom327Cat
It is just some 1/8" rubber sheeting that I had laying around the shop. If I remember correctly, it was being used to keep steel strapping off a transformer in shipment, so I am pretty sure it is just plain rubber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode