F•••ing Farkles Fiasco - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to leshall Send a message via Skype™ to leshall
Angry F•••ing Farkles Fiasco

So I've been collecting farkles in a big box for months, er years even! Some (heated grips, back-off module) were from a previous bike which never got installed.

So anyway I've been gathering them waiting for a good time to install them. We were supposed to have crap weather this weekend because of Hurricane Ike so I dragged the bike into the dining room and started getting to work. The chandelier makes for a good work light. One of our cork trivets is perfect for protecting the floor from the side-stand

Regarding my wife and her attitude to stuff like this, I believe in the theory that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission. It's my house as well so if I want to put my bike in the dining room I'm going to do it - it's the perfect work space with AC, fridge, sofa, TV etc etc. I'm not an asshole about this - just point out that the bike is clean, doesn't smell and it's stinking hot & dirty in our dirt-floored garage. My wife is super cool and indulges me.

The first thing to install was some SW Motech side-racks. Sadly their mounting points were exactly the same as my Ventura rack which i bought off Chris on this forum. I had come to really like the Ventura rack, but I need panniers more so off it came. **** 1.

Then I had the handlebar debacle discussed on other posts. **** 2.

I had bought a cheap HID kit off eBay for $40. I decided to remove the headlight assembly which in my opinion is quicker and easier than buggering about trying to get bulbs to fit with the assembly installed on the bike.

You remove both fairing plastics - about six hex head bolts each side (4mm). Then there are four 10mm bolts that hold the headlight assembly to the frame. Unplug the two side lights and the high and low beams et voila!

I tested the HID unit out before I went further and it worked great. So I removed the H7 bulb and lay it next to the HID light. The filament in the halogen was in the exact same position as the point where the arc was in the HID so I reckon it's going to give you the same light pattern...

I got the HID installed and everything worked but bugger me! I could not find anywhere to put the ballast units which are the size of a large pack of cigarettes. I have subsequently discovered that you can get smaller ballasts ideal for motorbikes. I may try and get some, but for now it's back to halogens. **** 3.

Things that went ok...

SW Motech QR racks were pretty easy to install and I am surprised at how solid they are considering they have that quick-release mechanism. I'm having some panniers made so it will be interesting to see how they fit. One point for those considering these racks - you do not have to move your rear turn signals. There are mounting lugs which move the lights towards the rear of the bike on either side of the license plate. I have not moved them yet - will see how obstructed they are by the panniers. They are going to be hidden from the side by the panniers and I have a feeling that might not be street legal in Texas.

SW Motech crash bars were next. Dang! This is a fairly gnarly operation with some bolts to be removed and replaced in awkward places. I must admit that the more I do this the better I get. Also, more importantly methinks, I have invested in good quality and numerous tools. The bars are super solid when installed, they look good too. I fear they are a bit low, but will protect the engine admirably.

I also installed Speedy's gps mount which is a very nice piece of gear - if only all farkles were this trick and nicely made. I installed the Vario screen and it looks really good with the Speedy mount.

To be installed... Heated grips, brake light modulator, brightlite thingys - also for brake lights, panniers, driving lights, teeny LED turn signal warning lights, electrical panel and outlets etc for BMW plugs & tank bag. Er there are more but I forget. Custom tank decal which i have to design first. Stickers, beverage holder.....

Les, Dallas.

Last edited by leshall; 09-14-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 05:12 PM

Seat

I see that you've added some padding to your seat. How much more comfortable is it on a long ride? Who makes it?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

It's a sheepskin pad from Alaska Leathers

http://www.alaskaleather.com/prices&sizes2.html

I got a medium I believe. It helps quite a bit, if nothing else it is cooler in hot weather. I have also bought one of those air pillows that some forum member mentioned he got from REI. I'll try that under the sheepskin.

I have found that I get more and more used to the stock seat and it doesn't hurt like it did at first. I haven't done any 400+ days yet though - YMMV.

Les

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstandinghorse View Post
I see that you've added some padding to your seat. How much more comfortable is it on a long ride? Who makes it?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:31 AM

Les you have my interest piqued about these custom panniers! Are they the aluminium/Touratech type? Keep me posted on your progress, it seems like a lot of your mods are the ones on my list.

Jeff

Jeff
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

OK Jeff - I'll keep you posted on progress. I am having them made by a company that I found on the web, so am doing it long distance and I must admit I have low expectations and am prepared to return to the drawing board.

There is a great Chinese proverb which I usually try and adhere to and that is "Cry Once" - i.e. spend the money by buying the best thing. It hurts initially but you don't second guess or have to replace cheap stuff that was no good.

For some reason when it comes to bikes that logic goes out the door and the Scotsman in me tries to find cheaper solutions. So maybe I should have just ponied up the $700+ for Happy Trails rack & panniers. More will be revealed!

Les
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

I spent a good part of this afternoon trying to stuff the HID ballasts in every nook & cranny behind the headlights. I finally found a spot and I think I have a solution. Cranked up the bike and the lights lit right up - super bright and pure white. The high beam kicks ass. I hope that the fairings fit ok and there is not any vibrating. Going to have to wrap the ballast in foam of some kind and tie it off.

Will take photos of my progress on this and other farkles later this week. The bike is starting to take on the look and functionality I want.

Cool.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 07:40 PM

Sounds like you are really getting with the program. Congrats on all the Farkles! All of here in the Dallas area ought to meet somewhere, have coffee and get to know one another.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshall View Post

SW Motech crash bars were next. Dang! This is a fairly gnarly operation with some bolts to be removed and replaced in awkward places. I must admit that the more I do this the better I get. Also, more importantly methinks, I have invested in good quality and numerous tools. The bars are super solid when installed, they look good too. I fear they are a bit low, but will protect the engine admirably.

Les, Dallas.
I'm looking at installing the SW Motech bars, yes I have them on the work bench, but am still looking at the directions and the bike. It appears to me that the front mounting bolts are engine mounts. These are most likely the "bolts to be removed and replaced in awkward places." Did you remove any plastic to get at these bolts? Any other pointers that will make the installation a little easier
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Stillupright...

Yes they are engine mounts as far as I could tell. I tapped the old looong mount out using the replacement SWM one - just gentle tap tap tap. It wasn't so much difficult as awkward. I had all the plastic off anyway as I was doing other stuff although I'm not sure you have to - it's not in front of me right now so can't remember exactly.

Sorry I'm not much help :[

Les
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 07:49 AM

Hey, i checked out that web site for 'Alaska Leathers' to have a look at their seat covers. I find that after about half an hour of riding my ass is killing me and half an hour after that i've gone numb (which probably isn't healthy). They have a new range of sheep skin covers with gel padding, they're pricey, but i have taken the plunge. Also they rise you in the seat by about an inch apparently, but i'm 6ft 5in tall so i don't mind sitting a bit higher.
Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for posting the link.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode