Changing Handlebars-Need Info! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Changing Handlebars-Need Info!

I've bought the ProTaper SE ATV HI Bar that a few people have used on their V's. I'm pretty good with tools and installed my carbon fiber exhaust without incident. I'm wondering if this is a job for me? On a scale of 1-10, 1 being easy and 10 being forget it, I'd give the exhaust change about a 4. Can somebody chime in with their opinion? And tricks or niggles I need to watch out for?

Also, I need the torque numbers for the 4-allen nuts on the head unit that hold the bar. And any other torque requirements for the brake/clutch/mirrors/throttle that I might need.

Thanks!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 04:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to leshall Send a message via Skype™ to leshall
I just posted on another post about this subject. I am fairly handy but when it comes to mechanical stuff I tend to get frustrated. I went to all the trouble of removing the previous bars and got the same bars as you on the bike only to find that the control levers needed more length to the various cables and wires if I wanted the levers to be at the right position on the bars - i.e. the bars were too wide.

It was reasonably easy to do this procedure - I didn't try and extend or wangle the wires so I just reinstalled the original bar. You probably know that you have to remove the grips and for me the easiest way is with a razor blade.... I am installing heated grips anyway so it didn't matter. I have heard of guys inserting a compressed air nozzle in to quickly blast and expand the grips, but like I said razor blade is most expedient.

Also, like I said in the other post, look closely at the throttle assembly and how it all fits together. You can loosen it and slide the bars out carefully but inevitably it all falls to pieces and you have to work out what goes where.

If someone has a solution to the too short cables snafu I would love to hear it.

Good luck. Les
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshall View Post
I just posted on another post about this subject. I am fairly handy but when it comes to mechanical stuff I tend to get frustrated. I went to all the trouble of removing the previous bars and got the same bars as you on the bike only to find that the control levers needed more length to the various cables and wires if I wanted the levers to be at the right position on the bars - i.e. the bars were too wide.

It was reasonably easy to do this procedure - I didn't try and extend or wangle the wires so I just reinstalled the original bar. You probably know that you have to remove the grips and for me the easiest way is with a razor blade.... I am installing heated grips anyway so it didn't matter. I have heard of guys inserting a compressed air nozzle in to quickly blast and expand the grips, but like I said razor blade is most expedient.

Also, like I said in the other post, look closely at the throttle assembly and how it all fits together. You can loosen it and slide the bars out carefully but inevitably it all falls to pieces and you have to work out what goes where.

If someone has a solution to the too short cables snafu I would love to hear it.

Good luck. Les

Thanks Les! On another note, was it you that was looking to put aluminium panniers on? Like the Touratechs? I've been glued to watching the Long Way Round on my laptop that I downloaded and now I am lusting after a set of those!

Jeff

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 04:52 PM

Yes I am installing panniers - see my new post about Farkle Frustration.

Would like to hear from those who have installed these bars and how they got the cables to be longer....

CHeers. Les
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshall View Post
Yes I am installing panniers - see my new post about Farkle Frustration.

Would like to hear from those who have installed these bars and how they got the cables to be longer....

CHeers. Les
Ok. I read your post in the other handlebar thread about seeing more spare wiring once the fairing was off. Keep me posted. Let's meet sometime for a coffee or something. I think between you and me and Don and TapNTX we should have enough for a gathering!

Jeff

Jeff
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 04:15 AM

Sure Jeff - would love to meet all. What say we aim for breakfast this saturday or sunday?? Let's take it off the forum and arrange something.

I am going to try the bars again and see if I can yank enough length from the control cables.

Les
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 PM

OK. I had another go at getting the Pro Taper bars on and by removing the wire guide that restrains the clutch cable I was able to get enough slack. So they are installed along with heated grip elements and new grips. Looks pretty good. Think I'll remove the padded cross-bar thang.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Sounds good, Les. I'm anxious to see your setup. I may or may not get mine done this week......I arrived at work today just in time to get laid off.
So, I have to hurry up and find some gainful employment before I can keep farkling my bike out! Thanks Les. See you soon.

Jeff

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode