Heated Grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heated Grips

Does anyone have any suggestions for heated grips? I like riding this bike so much, I won't quit till it snows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 10:42 AM

grips

you can buy heated grips which would mean u have to take the old ones off...I've never had them so I can't say how they are....my last bike I bought the oxford grip heaters which just wrap around your existing grips and attach with velcro....they easily hook up to your battery and give off plenty of heat...the nice thing is u can just take them off in the summer..
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 02:04 PM

For many years now I've used Kimpex/dynastar "under grip heaters" that you literally stick on to the bars under the grips. The grips are pretty easy to remove and it would give you a chance to install different grips if you choose.

The heaters are thin sheets of mylar plastic that is adhesive on the back. On the front are the heating elements on them. They have two heat ranges. They take a couple of minutes to come to full heat, and unless it is very cold they do well. Coupled with electric heated gloves, vest, socks, I'm good to go in most inclement weather.

Here is one source:

http://www.i-bike.com/store/prdBuy.cfm?prd=4357

Mine have been working fine for over 9 years. I paid $28 for them at the time.

Red

Last edited by Red Alert; 09-12-2008 at 02:07 PM.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:51 PM

I've had the cheap ($45.00) Aerostitch wrap around type on my last 4 bikes. They work fine for me.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 10:45 PM

Larry,
Went with the replacement Oxford heated grips on my wife's Versys. She loves them and they were very easy to install. Plan to add a set to my KLR as well.

Too Tall
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:23 AM

Another thing......maybe even helps more than heated grips are hand guards. My buddy has them on his BMW, and I rode it in low 40 degree temp, you can't believe the difference not having the wind hit your fingers. He has heated grips also, but doesn't use them that much unless it's really cold.

I haven't had hand guards on a bike, but I soon will. With heated grips, my fingers will still get cold in low 40's, and below temps
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:02 PM

I have the Oxford HeaterZ grips on my Versys and another bike. You can fry eggs on those things. Highly recommended.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:28 PM

Has anyone tried the Hippo Hands? They're sort of like kayaking pogies - muffs that attach around the grips and controls and put your hands inside. They're insulated and keep your hands out of the wind. They look pretty interesting.

http://www.hippohands.com/

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 01:17 PM

I put a set of Hippo hands on my KZ. Something about having my hands tied to the handlebars didn't sit right. Never left the garage, sold them to a buddy, he installed them and never left the driveway. They are for sale again.

While you are not really tied to the bars it just didn't feel right, might work for others.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 12:25 PM

Leccy Gloves

I had heated grips for years and they are good, but then I found heated gloves. Wow!
It's a bit of a bother plugging in but when its really cold you will love them to death.
When its freezing and raining hard, as you know the water gets in eventually. I have ridden all day in those conditions with inside of gloves wet and WARM. Totally comfortable. Wouldn't be without them.
Mine are Gerbing ones, made in Holland.
I have heated socks as well now. Rarely used them but when needed they are just unbelievable.
Ted99uk.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 02:46 PM

I had heated grips on my BMW. I liked them a lot except when it got really cold. You can't use liners or thick gloves with heated grips or they don't work too well. Mostly I appreciated the heated grips for cool mornings or just as the temperatures began to fall and I wanted a touch of heat. Once it get's below 40 F - then they dont' work as effectively. My thumbs would always be frozen and the left hand wouldn't be as warm as I was putting on and off my hand from the grip. I haven't tried heated gloves yet and want to get a set but I think they would work better.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 PM

Hey Guys! I just picked up some HotGrips and will let you know how they work out. I have heard glowing recommendations.

Any tips for getting them on and stuck in one place? Specifically they require epoxy of a heat resistant variety... anyone used a product that worked well?

Many thanks in advance
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:14 AM

I just installed Oxford.....excellent quality for the money and work..... oh so well.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:26 AM

I installed the Oxford Heaterz too. The are fantastic! My only complaint is the grip wire stress relief. It's way too big! Make sure they are positioned so they don't hit the tank with the bars turned fully in either direction.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:42 AM

I installed Heat demons last month. They actually go inside the handlebars. They are awsome. I have never had heated grips before but these are amazing. I was able to keep the same grips and for that matter I can use any grips I want. They work great. I would reccomend them to anyone.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 08:55 AM

That's a funny thing about heated grips. Once you've had them you will alway get them for future bikes. The best comfort item for the money.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 09:13 AM

Grip over-wraps

Last week I installed a pair of Farnam grip overwraps a friend sold me for $20. The overwraps are wired to the battery with a 5 amp fuse, and I connected it to an illuminated on/off switch. Bare bones, simple, and it works fine on 35 F commutes.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum1015 View Post
I installed Heat demons last month. They actually go inside the handlebars. They are awsome. I have never had heated grips before but these are amazing. I was able to keep the same grips and for that matter I can use any grips I want. They work great. I would reccomend them to anyone.
I thought I read that our "V" bars are NOT hollow at the ends - if so, how'd the Heat Demons mount?

Ed
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:11 PM

For the heat demons you have to cut the welds at the end. You have two options. You could weld the ends back on and if you don't have a welder they sell stuff at your local harware store that is a liquid weld epoxy. The other option is to put brush guards and hand gurds on. There is another option you could get a different pair of bar end weights. It was really easy to do It took me about an hour. That was with the time contimplating on what I was going to do.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 08:57 AM
b&t

Hi all, I am awaiting delivery on my green 09! I used HotGrips on my ZX636 for years and love them. The diameter of the grip is much larger than normal grips which reduces hand fatigue as well as the grips work great to keep fingers warm with out super thick gloves that reduce your dexterity.

I just moved to DFW, any riders in the area hit me back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode