CalSci vs. Givi or any other windshield - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question CalSci vs. Givi or any other windshield

Okay, I need to purchase a windshield but I'm a little bit torn on which one to purchase. CalSci looks like it does a better job of blocking wind but totally eliminates the sport look of the bike yet I hear the Givi doesn't do that great a job and that it is still extremely loud. Is it really that loud compared to stock? I'd like to purchase today so let me know all the details. I'm 5'9 with a shorter torso and wear a Joe Rocket helmet. I've only been riding this versys for a couple of weeks and need an answer for what will soon be the chilly season. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:02 AM

The CalSci is loud too. Plus it will not allow the handlebars to be turned to full stop without the mirrors hitting the shield.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 AM

Here is my 2 cents as a proud 5'10'' owner of a Calsci, a Givi and MRA Speedscreen. The best looking screen on the bike is the MRA, but it is the least effective. It is ok under 40mph but any speed higher than that and the ride quickly becomes tiring.

I then switch to the Calsci: the bike simply looks stupid with this oversized screen which is ok for a cross-country ride but not really for commuting. Now, for me, aestethic is secondary to ride comfort so I tried the Calsci in all kinds of height and angle settings. At various heights, it does a good job of blocking the wind but at speeds over 55mph, I get a lot of buffeting. I then tried changing the angle (leaning the top of the screen toward me) and it does get better, but it does impair on the fork turn angle.

Lastly, I tried the Givi and it is good looking. I first installed it on the highest setting and I was still getting wind on the helmet. I drilled a couple of holes on the lower side of the screen to raise it and it moved the wind to the top of the helmet but I was still getting buffetting at 55+mph. I changed the angle (again leaning the top toward me) and it does improve a bit.

Conclusion:

MRA: best look, good for around town commuting, not for highway

Calsci: worst looking, great around town, some buffetting at highway speed, but impairs full fork turn. I have not excluded it yet as I am thinking that I could cut the sides to restore the full fork turn, but I am not sure the effect it will have on the wind flow

Givi: best compromise for now. I may be extremely demanding and maybe the zero wind/buffetting is unachievable.

BTW, I plan to swicth back and forth between the Calsi and Givi one last time and will then keep only one screen. So for anyone interested in a windscreen, I will have 2 for sale soon.

Last edited by FouDuFafa; 09-10-2008 at 09:23 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 AM

Interesting. When I first got the V I really thought it had better wind protection (stock) than my old FZ1, but boy is it LOUD. I'm 6'2", I think the V puts the wind on my chest, but there is some buffeting on my lid. The FZ1 put all the wind on my lid, but was definitely better at high speeds than the V. On the V, wind definitely pushes me around a bit when going above the speed limit on the highways. I began wearing earplugs shortly after getting the V. Since I've only owned it during the summer, the OE screen has been OK, as long as I remember the plugs. I lost them on a trip a couple weeks ago and I was in agony until I stopped at McD's and stuffed some napkins in my ears. I can only ride up to about 40mph w/o plugs before it becomes painful. Never had this issue on the FZ1.

How is the noise with the aftermarket screens?

Luke
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukejt View Post
Interesting. When I first got the V I really thought it had better wind protection (stock) than my old FZ1, but boy is it LOUD. I'm 6'2", I think the V puts the wind on my chest, but there is some buffeting on my lid. The FZ1 put all the wind on my lid, but was definitely better at high speeds than the V. On the V, wind definitely pushes me around a bit when going above the speed limit on the highways. I began wearing earplugs shortly after getting the V. Since I've only owned it during the summer, the OE screen has been OK, as long as I remember the plugs. I lost them on a trip a couple weeks ago and I was in agony until I stopped at McD's and stuffed some napkins in my ears. I can only ride up to about 40mph w/o plugs before it becomes painful. Never had this issue on the FZ1.

How is the noise with the aftermarket screens?

Luke
Bad, the problem is the blunt angle the mounting brackets place the screen. Your FZ1 had a screen that was angled back, and more aerodynamic than the V screen. That eliminates a lot of the turbulent air that causes buffeting and noise.
I have owned four bikes, and the V is the loudest as far as wind noise goes.
I have tried two aftermarket screens, and neither did anything for wind noise.

So I bought better earplugs, problem solved.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

I've done absolutely nothing to a bike so when you change an angle how does one do this? Do you take the mounting brackets off the frame and bend them or do you do this by adding washers somewhere? Thanks in advance.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker75 View Post
I've done absolutely nothing to a bike so when you change an angle how does one do this? Do you take the mounting brackets off the frame and bend them or do you do this by adding washers somewhere? Thanks in advance.
It's the way the bike is designed, you cannot get enough angle on the V to make any of its shields aerodynamic.

It's a major design flaw with this bike. But nothing a good set of earplugs can't solve.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 AM

First, I always wear earplugs, even around town.

Second, the lean angle is adjusted by placing rubber washers on the 2 lower screws of the windscreen. I read another post from someone who actually changed the angle of the mount, but it is far easier and quicker to just buy longer bolts for the screen and play with washer thickness.

Has anyone tried the "Lip", this add on piece that glues to the screen?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Is this lip for the stock screen or can it be added to the Givi? I also read an article where they put a rubber trim around the edge of their Givi and the added little lip helped create tiny vortexes(sp?) that softened the noise and turbulence? Anyone...Anyone...Bueler?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 AM

Pretty sure you can put one on any screen.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 AM

There was a test I read somewhere about the Givi and some other screens and they loved the Givi, won hands down. Said it looked good, provided excelent wind protection and was not that loud. Also you did not mention the Kawasaki tall wide one. It could be a good option as well, not too big so still has stylish looks and just enough wider and taller to provide decent coverage. I had a 08 KLR650 with the tall windshield and it was much better protection than the stock one but was so loud! After a while you get used to it and I just used ear plugs, because the protection was well worth the extra noise.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 10:20 AM

Being somewhat of a geek, I had this idea of placing a big fan in front of the bike and attaching a bunch of yard long threads all around each windscreen to observe the flow pattern. I can then adjust the height and angle to exactly match the protection zone. The problems are that (1) I am not sure it would work, (2) I can't be on the bike and alter the settings at the same time.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 11:13 AM

Anyone have the Vario Kawasaki windsheild?

muskie
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 12:18 PM

I believe it is the same as the Kawasaki tall wide windshield. I have the Givi screen and love it. With the stock screen all the way up if I turned my head at highway speeds it felt like my head was going to be ripped off. With the Givi screen all the way up I don't feel any wind when I turn my head. Also no wind buffetting at highway speeds. I am 5'11" with short legs so I guess I sit a little higher than an normal 5'11" guy. Hope this helps.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 01:59 PM

I like my Vari screen. It can be a shorty for hot days or a bit taller to deflect wind and rain on trips or inclement weather. Best of both worlds for me.

Dan

$100 an hour for therapy or...
$100 for gas...
I'm going riding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM

i'm 6'2'' i run the vario, i made two flat plate brackets that raised the windshield up about 3 inches, the bottom of the shield now just covers the bottom of the stock winshield mounts, results....no buffeting, and reasonanbly quiet, even at highway speeds! if i run earplugs it's a smooth quiet ride....when it gets hot...drop the top spoiler a bit is all you need.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode