Centech AP-1 Power Panel - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Centech AP-1 Power Panel

I plan to add a few electrical items to my V but I don't want the rat's nest of fuse holders and wires cobbled around my battery. Yes, I could have gone to the autoparts start and got a wire loom for a couple of bucks. But, I wanted something better, durable and meant for the job. I bought a Centech AP-1 Power Panel and installed that today.

It's a nice looking module - about the size of a deck of cards or a pack of cigarettes. I also bought the relay with the kit so I could actuate the power panel with the ignition. It took a bit of time and effort to get it installed, now that it is - I found the effort worth it. I know have an effective point to add my electrical items. Now my GPS can run on bike power instead of battery power. I hated when I forgot to change the batteries before a trip. No worries about that now.

I used the tool kit bay to install the Power Panel. But, what to do with the tool kit? I found it fits just next door right where the U-Lock is supposed to go. No worries. Even if you don't plan on installing one of these things - but you want some extra space under the seat - now you know where to get that.

Attached are the photos of the job.

This first one shows all the components together. Nicely wrapped up and battened down.

This image is showing the wire I used for the relay's key wire. I wanted to use the headlight because it doesn't come on until the engine is running. That's the only time I need the power to my accessories. Only problem though is the headlight remains on after you shut the engine off. I'll have to remember to turn the ignition off as well. I took the blue-yellow headlight wire from the relay box's #2 plug. If you strip off the black electrical tape - it's easy enough to find.

What it looks like inside:

I bought my power panel from cyclegadgets.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 PM

Did you use a fuse between the battery positive terminal and the AP-1? I have an AP-1 that I'm looking to install on my Versys and am wondering if putting a 30A fuse between the battery and AP-1 is necessary, especially since it has a 60A rating.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 08:10 AM

Centech is good,,, but,,, Fuzeblock is the BESTEST!!! Trust me,,, it does things the Centech can't do...

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Yes, use an inline fuse between the battery + and the terminal block (CENTECH or FUZEBLOCK).

Here is a picture of my Fuzeblock installation with an in-line fuse holder between the battery and Fuzeblock 12V+ source input (blue oval). I use a 30A fuse-not shown in the photo.

I looked at the CENTECH and went with the FUZEBLOCK because of its integral relay and easy switched/un-switched individual circuit setup (move the circuit fuse position). Downside is if the integral relay goes...........

Here is my wiring job: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5571
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuzeblock FZ-1 Versys Install.jpg (247.6 KB, 311 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:55 PM

That FZ-1 fuse block is pretty slick...too bad I already paid for the Centech. Oh well, I'll keep it in mind for my next bike someday!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 AM

I need to get one of these soon. Leaning heavily toward the FZ-1, but what's the general consensus on this one?
http://www.farkleshop.com/Products.html

Or this one?
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...8.html#pc8only

Sarcasm is a privilege.......not a right.

08 Versys....1st bike and love it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 08:27 PM

I like the fuse box made by eastern beaver, it has an external relay, so that you can replace it if necessary, no soldering required, just plug and play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode