cheap tank bag - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
cheap tank bag

i love tank bags but i didnt want to scratch my new versys. so being short of money i made my own gas cap tank bag mount. its made of 1/4 underlayment (not luan). i first cut two horse shoe shaped pieces
and glued it to the base, then a light film of epoxy(to make it waterproof), and painted it black. i glued thin rubber to the bottom of the horse shoe pieces. i bought a $10.00 walmart bag, burned some holes in the front and ran a small rope throught them. i made a loop out of some strap and mounted the lower snaps to the base. the bag pivots forward to fill the tank and i used velcro to hold the back down. i have a large bag and the small bag and i can change between them easily. works really well. hardest part was finding longer metric screws, the front one needs to be longer because it threads into the tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys tank bag.JPG (126.0 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg tank bag 2.JPG (100.8 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg tank bag 3.JPG (113.4 KB, 364 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 PM

That is really awesome. I just got my Cortech Super Mini 10 a few days ago but this is making me already consider changing it out for a setup like yours.

Any chance you made an autocad drawing of the components? I have a colleague that can cut items for me out of ABS or other plastics but I need a CAD file as a starter for him to drive the router table.

Very nice mod.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

sorry no auto cad or any drawings, just some scrap plywood and a scroll saw. it was just going to be a prototype, but i like it the way it is. sometimes you get lucky.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 11:19 PM

Very, very cool. I love it when people make their own stuff. I'd like to steal your idea, but have 2 questions. What is underlayment and how is it different from luan? Plus I don't quite understand what you did with the burned holes and rope. Could you run that by me again?

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 11:57 PM

Tank Bag

Very crafty and great job. If you can send me all the dimensions I have AutoCAD at home and can do the drawing. We all can share.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Nice job!

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

i used a soldering gun to burn holes (2 on each front corner) then i ran a 1/4" rope through them and tied on the inside of the bag to make a loop. i used 1" flat nylon strap and pop riveted one end onto the wood base(througth male snaps). i installed snaps (female ends) to the other side of the nylon straps. these run throught the rope and snap in place holding the front of the bag. so much information for a such little job. luan would work ok but it measures 3/16". i used full 1/4" plywood, its a little stronger. i put a little blob of silicone under the rivets so they couldnt scratch the tank while mounting the base.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 09:46 PM

Ah ha! Now I get it. Now I can see the pieces on the photos - couldn't spot them before. Very creative of ya. Now the next time I can spend some time in the woodshop...

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode