• 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Text / Message/Mistaken for a Young Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
Thanks for the info OneWizard. I've been riding bikes for almost 30 years so I have a pretty good hand on setting the bike up. I have a set of heat demon grips here just waiting to be put on that I have left over from another project before. I already have peg lowering brackets, fuzeblock, gps mount, thermobob, givi side cases on order. Only problem is going to be finding time to tear it apart when I won't be wanting to ride it.
Me over 40 years of riding, just thought it appropriate to post this, funny thing is I missed something real important, that 2015 owners have come across. The Adjustable wind screen is to have a concave washer on each adjustment knob, plus 1 large flat washer, many of us have found 2 large flat washers, end result is knob vibrates loose and in one case the knob went missing on a ride. I am sure Eddie can fill you in on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Gen 3 V-Stream shield; knobs don't stay tight

I've gone back-and-forth between the OEM windshield and my PUIG 5999 several times, and it's ALWAYS been a PITA! You end up needing another pair of hands (w/ REALLY long fingers!) to hold all the little bits that try to fall out once you've removed the four bolts, and two 'adjuster' knobs.

As I was doing it again yesterday, I decided to look into my SERVICE MANUAL (for a change......) to see what Kawi says to do. SAME thing I've been doing, so I started in on the job. Removed BOTH 'adjuster' knobs, started on the bolts, then a thought 'hit' me - what if I put a nut onto the bolts that the 'adjuster' knobs screw onto...?

I finger-tightened two, removed the four screws and VOILA! - NOTHING fell onto the floor! Changing windscreens went from a chore, to a FIVE minute pleasure. Here's a pic of the windscreen-mounts w/ the two nuts replacing the 'adjuster' knobs.

BTW - look CLOSELY at the washer in the first pic. It's SUPPOSED to be a "spring" washer OEM, but mine came w/ just a flat-washer, so I went to a bolt supply and got a proper "spring" washer, and installed it.

NOW I'm NOT looking all over my shop floor for pieces like that when they fell down removing my screens "by the book"!

-

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6211172copy.jpg (320.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P6211173copy.jpg (333.2 KB, 3 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gen 3 V-Stream shield; knobs don't stay tight

Lovin' my Nat'l Cycle V-Stream shield, but minor annoyance: the knobs loosen up quite often. That didn't happen with the OEM or the Puig shields I used previously. I imagine lock washers are the solution (or eat more Wheaties), but I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Installation Error

Yes, many of us 2015 owners, I will try and find the Post, FastEddie posted.The concave washer is missing on many, including my 2015, I purchased some from a place called Spae Naur. After installing, and 14,000 KM later, no problems.
Here is one of his posts, he describes as a spring washer that was missing, same for me.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ghlight=washer
quexpress and Doug Just Doug like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-30-2017 at 10:25 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
No issues with mine on my V-1000
Doug Just Doug likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Lovin' my Nat'l Cycle V-Stream shield, but minor annoyance: the knobs loosen up quite often. That didn't happen with the OEM or the Puig shields I used previously. I imagine lock washers are the solution (or eat more Wheaties), but I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?
And I thought I was the only one-and yes only with the National Cycle sport Tour shield no other windshields- including the National Cycle shorter Sport shield-so I put it where I wanted it and a drop of blue lock tight on each side-so far so good--oh I put a small drop of white paint on the adjuster knobs so I could tell if it moved..
Doug Just Doug likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
And I thought I was the only one-and yes only with the National Cycle sport Tour shield no other windshields- including the National Cycle shorter Sport shield-so I put it where I wanted it and a drop of blue lock tight on each side-so far so good--oh I put a small drop of white paint on the adjuster knobs so I could tell if it moved..
Weird, right? I like the threadlocker idea; might do that or add a lock washer. Thanks.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

OEM Two Height Adjustments Available

Thought I would re-post this.Several have commented about the extra height of the OEM shield, very easy to do, while your at it , make sure you have a concave/ spring washer under each knob, my bike and many others didn't have it, FastEddie alerted me about this, some have had the knob vibrate off the bike, no BS here, I don't think you would be impressed having your shield come at you
A photo of the height I use, as I don't like looking through the shield, especially with bug splatter

The raised , extra height available, giving about 1.5 inches above the slot opening

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 02:23 PM

Following-up, I installed some lock washers and the knobs haven't loosened a bit since.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:19 AM

I noticed this too! Thought I was going crazy!!! Threadlocker seems like my answer....seeing as I already have some
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkurant View Post
I noticed this too! Thought I was going crazy!!! Threadlocker seems like my answer....seeing as I already have some
really bad idea. The proper thing is a concave washer that seems to be missed by whoever is building these. I copied several posts, 1 was in the link above,I say using loctite / thread locker is a bad idea, because have a close look at that nut, it wouldn't take much to destroy it or damaged the track it is mounted in, just 2 extra threads of using 242 blue loctite you may never get it loose and may destroy the knob. A star lock washer is also a poor substitute, the concave washer allows for ambient temperature change and vibration.
DinkinFlicka likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-05-2019 at 12:24 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...the concave washer allows for ambient temperature change and vibration....
Also sometimes called a "spring", or "cup" washer.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In the three years (15000 miles) that I had the 15' Versys I never had the knobs come loose. With the OEM shield or the GIVI.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
In the three years (15000 miles) that I had the 15' Versys I never had the knobs come loose. With the OEM shield or the GIVI.
You must be one of the lucky ones, here in Canada it is common to be missing that washer, my 2015 was missing it and I almost lost one knob, my contacting FastEddie enlightened me. I went to a specialty fastener place here and bought two sizes, SpaeNaur also referred to as Ed said disc spring or Belleville washer , get stainless steel https://spaenaur.com/wp-content/uplo...rs-D39-D64.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode