Ortlieb saddlebags: Anyone use them? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Ortlieb saddlebags: Anyone use them?

Does anyone use the Ortlieb waterproof saddlebags? And if you did pictures would be great.

I'm leaning towards soft saddlebags, but don't want to mess with waterproof rain covers. There are good things said about the Ortlieb products on the ADVRider forum, but no one seems to be using them on a Versys.

Last edited by steven1955; 08-29-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 07:18 AM

Steven -

I've got the Ortlieb softbags on. I'm leaving for a 3-day trip this morning and will certainly have plenty of pics to post up first of the week. These bags were from my GF's ducati, they fit well on the V, have plenty of room. I don't particularly care for the way they roll down and buckle or how they hang looking from the rear.

More later...gotta ROLL! First trip on the V...we're STOKED! WOOT WOOT.

/neil
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 12:24 PM

I used Ortlieb on my KLR and love them.

Tried a 100 ways (well 2-3) to fit them on the Versys.

But, there is no way to support them without some sort of frame. They have zero structure on their own and when filled lean under the seat onto the wheel. If you could come up with some type of frame support they would be great.

I went with these Cortech bags, they have built in rain covers, but I just stuff everything inside a garbage sack. They have enough structure to stay out on their own without a frame.

Think they were about $55.00 mail order.

Machog

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Neil-

Got any pics of your trip yet? I'm not sure what is more important to me, pictures of your trip, or pictures showing how the Ortliebs fit.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 AM

You HAD to go and ask me to post up pictures, didn't you I can work later, right. Give me a minute....

/neil
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Don't you know, impatience is a virtue.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 AM

Here you go, Steven. I haven't loaded up trip pics yet, but snapped a few more quick ones for you.

The bags have a rigid bottom and inside facing bike. They worked fine, kept stuff dry, would be fine for light trips. Again, these are my GF's and she's had them awhile and ridden the hell out of them, so I can say they hold up well. I didn't have any issues with fit or them rubbing tires. I did rig another strap on top running across the seat to hold them up a bit more.

I just looked at Ortliebs website and realize I have been closing these the wrong way. I was rolling them and pulling the two buckles together, which looked ridiculous and cut way down on capacity. Now I know what the shoulder strap looking thing is for! Guess I should have looked at their site before the trip! I'm sure I'll like them much better now closing them as designed. For $203, I'd give them a shot.

Hard bags are in the works for me.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:13 AM

Here you go, Steven. I haven't loaded up trip pics yet, but snapped a few more quick ones for you.

The bags have a rigid bottom and inside facing bike. They worked fine, kept stuff dry, would be fine for light trips. Again, these are my GF's and she's had them awhile and ridden the hell out of them, so I can say they hold up well. I didn't have any issues with fit or them rubbing tires. I did rig another strap on top running across the seat to hold them up a bit more.

Well, I just looked at Ortliebs website and realize I have been closing these the wrong way. I was rolling them and pulling the two buckles together on the top, which looked ridiculous and cut way down on capacity. Now I know what the shoulder strap looking thing is for! Guess I should have looked at their site before the trip! I'm sure I'll like them much better now closing them as designed. I'm sure they'll hang better and look better, too. So, my pictures aren't going to do you much good afterall. For $203, I'd give them a shot.

/neil

Hard bags are in the works for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4195.jpg (109.6 KB, 658 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4196.jpg (110.2 KB, 617 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4198.jpg (82.4 KB, 581 views)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pics Neil,

When Machog tried his Ortlieb bags on his Versys he said that when they were filled they leaned under the seat onto the wheel. I see in your pics they are leaning in some. Did you have any close calls between the bags and your rear wheel?

It does look like these bags would work better if there was some kind of support or frame for them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 PM

Got the Ortlieb saddlebags. I love them so far. Been on a few trips on/off road and they did the job beautifully. Liked them so much that I got myself the Ortlieb tail bag as well.
They do lean in a bit and would benefit from some kind of frame but they won't touch the wheel. Just don't put heavy stuff in it.
Can't beat the service they provide for that price...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 PM

Anybody here try using them when going two-up? I'm close to biting the bullet but want to make sure my passenger will be alright for 1-2hr trips.

Any ideas?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 AM

hang 'em high, there is no need for a brace. properly mounted, they are well clear of the wheel. i think Machdog had different bags, he mentioned no rigid support. these are rigid on bottom and three sides, as Neil stated. mine are over 10 years old, they have traveled far and wide on four different bikes, they get the hearty recommendo. might as well get the duffel while you're at it.

those yellow wolfman bags on my cousins bike... now they do interface with the wheel... and the canister.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode