SW-motech crashbar modification - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW-motech crashbar modification

Bought a set of SW-motech crashbars...nice looks and well made....BUT it seemed to me the weak link in the design was the way the ends of the bars wrapped around the front of the radiator...my fear was that in a fall that part of the bars might fold in and hit the radiator...simple fix....tie both crash guards together at that point, effectively distributing the impact from one side to the other, locking the whole assembly together....how did i do it...SIMPLE....take a piece of 3/4 black iron gas pipe, cut to just over 12 inches in length, stick it in a vise....heat it with my propane plumbing torch, bend it in the middle, then took two pieces of 1/2 inch black iron gas pipe...make 2 slugs about 2 inches long each, tap them in the ends(some grinding may be required, loosen up one side of the bars slip it in and PRESTO!!... this makes a great place to mount driving lights, or a rock guard????? if you powdercoat it , it will look just like the rest of the guard....i'm thinking rattle can paint.......TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK....Peace
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0941.jpg (192.3 KB, 846 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0943.jpg (198.9 KB, 731 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0942.jpg (180.3 KB, 663 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yeah that's perfect. It just needs a sanding and some paint.
I replaced my Hepco&Becker crashguard's crossmember with a twisted aluminum flat bar, to have an collector instead of a restrictor. It's also about a pound lighter...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versysx 004.jpg (633.2 KB, 627 views)
File Type: jpg airbox 002.jpg (445.5 KB, 349 views)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:04 AM

That looks so much better for air flow. Did you make it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Yeah that's perfect. It just needs a sanding and some paint.
I replaced my Hepco&Becker crashguard's crossmember with a twisted aluminum flat bar, to have an collector instead of a restrictor. It's also about a pound lighter...

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
That looks so much better for air flow. Did you make it?
Yes I did, Red Herring... I twisted both ends in a vise with a large adjustable wrench, then drilled the mount holes.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 01:10 PM

Nice job invader.

Have to point out that when I 'tested' my H&B's a few months ago, what happens is the side you fall on, pushes the whole bar set up over.

The center bar didn't bend. In my case the right bar side bar ended up fouling the steering yoke, where it bolts to the cross bar, by the blinker.

Nearly fell straight off again, with the restricted lock. It was simple to push back. Lean bike on opposite side of crash, placing some pad or cushion under it and push down on high side gently.

Having said that, the H&B bars totally protected the bike, other than the bars (and my knee) there was zero damage to the bike.

Machog
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 01:32 PM

Very nice improvements, but it is sad when you pay all that money for a product that still has to be modified to work better.

Like my boss told me, only 10% of engineers are really worth anything. And it's true, a big majority fall short of fully thinking things through. In my job I see it so often and to me here's another example of not having it "right" the first time.

Stupid me for buying frame sliders that stuck out so far that no way could they take the leverage of a fall. I assume someone kicked one of mine off and I spent 4 hours in a hot parking lot trying to get the remaining stem out. Again, my fault for just not returning them as soon as I saw how far they stuck out. Frame sliders are only good if they attach with little protrusion for strong leverage. Just thoughtless engineering and that is what I get for buying the lowerst cost "engine guards".
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
Very nice improvements, but it is sad when you pay all that money for a product that still has to be modified to work better.
I'm not an engineer, but the thought occurs to me that by connecting the two sides of the crashbars, and thus reducing the probability of bending them inward, you may also be increasing the probability of unwanted force/bends on the frame where the crashbars attach. Any engineers out there care to comment?

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

it's possible but i would think that the engine will act as a stressed member, supporting the frame that encases it, if i bent the frame in any of these areas, the bike will most likely be junk after that anyway, my main concern was not having the ends of the guards fold in and hit the radiator... i'm considering adding addtional tubing to go around the radiator itself...just my 2 cents
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
But does it work better? It sure looks like to me that under hard braking the front tire/wheel/fender is going to hit that crossmember that was added. I talked to the guys at TwistedThrottle and that is exactly why the bars do not connect. I am still not convinced connecting them is a good idea otherwise SWMOTECH would have made a bar to do so.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 12-05-2008 at 11:19 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:52 AM

If you take an impact on one side, what's to stop the bar from simply folding in on the impact side, and bending out on the opposite side? It looks like you just have them mounted in the rear on both sides. I don't see any lateral support..? If this is the case, the only way it'd work is if you took equal amounts of force on both sides.
Maybe you do have some lateral support somewhere, that I'm not seeing..?
Then you have what looks like a travel-restriction on the front-end as well..? Looks like the front tire could hit it under severe braking/fork travel.
Nice first post eh..?
Sorry
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 05:50 AM

Not an engineer but crash bars are made to cut down on low impact falls. The stiffer/stronger the crash bars, the more force is transfered to the bike.

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

i've been running the crash bars with the suport i made for a few months now.....have not had any problems with the forks under hard braking or going over speed bumps in parking lots.....A few years ago a friend of mine went down on his bike...he had a set of engine guards that were not connected side to side....( harley) not a bad fall, but the guards just folded right back, breaking the mounting bolts right off, and damaging his floor board severely....the Motech bars are made sturdy but the front end of them will fold right end on the radiator, under a moderate drop, without any addtional suport added
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to joshmedley
Ahhhh....geez guys...why bash on the engineer????? We don't all suck!! Typically, most engineers do not have field experience, meaning they've never done anything but desk work...but there are a small minority that can pick up a set of tools and do some good designing. But as a P.E. I would bet, whoever designed the sw motech truely sucked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode