Riser Block for Front Seat Lift Mod - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

OR do it yourself by making a bridge-piece out of steel, then adding 2 longer bolts and 12 washers.

MINE haven't broken in about 135K miles.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
OR do it yourself by making a bridge-piece out of steel, then adding 2 longer bolts and 12 washers.

MINE haven't broken in about 135K miles.
I did the same thing using aluminum bar I picked up at Home Depot for about $5. Raised it 3/8 inch and it's perfect. If I can do it, anyone can!

Greg
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Riser Block for Front Seat Lift Mod

Created / copied from For Sale to Active Cosmetic thread, for those wishing to request , feel free to post in the for sale thread of Rawkstar320. If you have alternative suggestions post in this thread. Thanks

Last edited by onewizard; 07-09-2017 at 12:04 PM.

post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
I did the same thing using aluminum bar I picked up at Home Depot for about $5. Raised it 3/8 inch and it's perfect. If I can do it, anyone can!

Greg
Me too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys-seat_riser.jpg (16.7 KB, 172 views)
onewizard likes this.
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 12:38 PM

Garage
Are these riser blocks still for sale?
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
Are these riser blocks still for sale?
Check the "sticky" for Rawkstar320's address.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 02:37 PM

I am thinking of doing the flat bar and washer riser on my '11. I am right at the limit of being able to get the balls of both of my feet down at a stop. Will raising the front edge push me over the top and require a lowering kit? I'd rather not have to do that.
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerRealm View Post
I am thinking of doing the flat bar and washer riser on my '11. I am right at the limit of being able to get the balls of both of my feet down at a stop. Will raising the front edge push me over the top and require a lowering kit? I'd rather not have to do that.
I've never ridden a Versys w/out that flat bar and washer riser, EXCEPT for the ride home from the dealer back in Sept '08 (...AND the ride from the dealer on my '09 and '15 Vs...).

Have you "set your sag" yet? Mine is at about 45mm, so the seat is HIGH when I get on, but when the suspension 'settles' I'm very close to 'fat-footing'. I have a 31" inseam (MAYBE closer to 30"....).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-14-2018 at 01:34 PM.
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

I've never ridden a Versys w/out that flat bar and washer riser, EXCEPT for the ride home from the dealer back in Sept '08 (...AND the ride from the dealer on my '09 and '15 Vs...).

Have you "set your sag" yet? Mine is at about 45mm, so the seat is HIGH when I get on, but when the suspension 'settles' I'm very close to 'fat-footing'. I have a 31" inseam (MAYBE closer to 30"....).
No, I haven't adjusted the suspension at all. The guy I bought the bike from was around my weight, and he said he adjusted it for him, but I haven't verified anything.
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Setting the "sag" is one of those (seemingly...) 'black-art' things, but it's fairly easy, and works better w/ two people. I did it w/ my wife who is NOT mechanical. Just hit SEARCH for setting the sag.

16VGTIDave likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 12:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerRealm View Post
No, I haven't adjusted the suspension at all. The guy I bought the bike from was around my weight, and he said he adjusted it for him, but I haven't verified anything.
My bike came with the preload and damping all set to max. I was questioning my purchase during the first ride home. The suspension was so stiff I could tell you how many times the lines on the road had been painted. After I took the time to adjust the sag and rebound damping, it became the bike I was expecting. If memory serves me, the fork pre-load is 1 turn in from completely out, and the damping is less than 1 turn from all the way out. The shock is on the lowest preload and 3 clicks damping. The owners manual is way off with their suggested settings, and most people follow bad advice and use sport bike "track" settings on the street.

With the correct suspension sag, I was able to install the riser block and still flat foot at a stop with my 32" inseam.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
My bike came with the preload and damping all set to max.....
This is NOT unusual....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-17-2018 at 11:04 AM.
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post

My bike came with the preload and damping all set to max. I was questioning my purchase during the first ride home. The suspension was so stiff I could tell you how many times the lines on the road had been painted. After I took the time to adjust the sag and rebound damping, it became the bike I was expecting. If memory serves me, the fork pre-load is 1 turn in from completely out, and the damping is less than 1 turn from all the way out. The shock is on the lowest preload and 3 clicks damping. The owners manual is way off with their suggested settings, and most people follow bad advice and use sport bike "track" settings on the street.

With the correct suspension sag, I was able to install the riser block and still flat foot at a stop with my 32" inseam.
My rear preload was on “3”, so I dropped it to “1” and I can flat foot it. I weigh about 165 so we’ll see how that goes. I’ll try the dampening on 3 for a bit and see how I like it.

The front preload is adjusted with the top nuts on the forks, right? I haven’t checked them. Hope to bump the front of the seat a little this weekend.
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:19 AM

I had the riser 3D printed a while ago but finally got around to installing it yesterday. I wasn't having a big problem with the tilt of the seat, but figured I'd try it anyway. On a 45 minute commute to work this morning I could definitely tell the difference -- guess I had been pushing myself back in the seat more often than I knew. I'm sure this will make a bigger difference on longer rides. I'll likely get an aftermarket seat at some point, but in the meantime this is a great low-cost mod. AT 5'9" I can still (barely) flat-foot the bike with the seat riser in place and a thick sheepskin seat pad. BTW, you'll need two M6 x 40mm hex-head bolts, and two M6 flat washers unless you're using flange-head bolts. I think 40mm is minimum bolt length; others have used 45mm or 50mm. I went with stainless bolts and washers.
pdx_greg likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey everyone, I am still alive!

A few things, first thing is since I never set up my PM to email me notifications, I got busy with life and forgot to check my PM box for a while. o_0

But more importantly, I definitely cannot make the risers for people anymore. It is simply too much work managing everything, however, the files are out there on Thingiverse ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1775953 ) and there are TONS of 3D printing services that can manufacture the parts for around $10-$15 per part --- which is WAY cheaper than it costs for me to build it.

Good luck all, and ride safe!

Check out my
!
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Receive Email Notification on PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkstar320 View Post
Hey everyone, I am still alive!

A few things, first thing is since I never set up my PM to email me notifications, I got busy with life and forgot to check my PM box for a while. o_0

But more importantly, I definitely cannot make the risers for people anymore. It is simply too much work managing everything, however, the files are out there on Thingiverse ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1775953 ) and there are TONS of 3D printing services that can manufacture the parts for around $10-$15 per part --- which is WAY cheaper than it costs for me to build it.

Good luck all, and ride safe!
Receive Email Notification on PM sent , set correctly.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:39 AM

thanks for making the ones you did. I am still using mine and it will go with the bike when it is sold or traded in. Take care, and glad to see your name. I also go for weeks without checking in.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode