Stator & Clutch covers - thoughts? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Stator & Clutch covers - thoughts?

Has anyone actually got clutch and stator covers on their V - and can you share your thoughts?

In AZ, I am often off road in locations that get pretty rough/rocky. Not hard enduro rough, just eroded forest roads. I have crash bars and a skid plate, but notice the stator and clutch covers are scratched up a little bit from tip-overs - as they are not well protected by either bars or plate. I have Givi bars and a Ravetech skid plate, but the common SWM versions provide about the same coverage in this area, not great for rocky surfaces. I always carry J-B weld in the tool kit.

R&G Racing makes plastic bolt on covers that appears to provide a lot of protection, and presumably some additional space between "oops" and "oh $h*t". They're a couple hundred for the set.

Here's a Revzilla link to the stator cover for reference: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...0r-er6n-versys

There's another one made by GB racing, but don't seem to have the same coverage and are costlier.

Anybody actually try them?

Thanks guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Joe - I can understand your concern. I had crash-bars and the SW-Motech skid-plate on both my Gen 1s, but never considered needing more protection. My Gen 3 has the SW-Motech crash-bars, but NO skid-plate, as the one-piece exhaust LOOKS like pretty good protection underneath.

Guess I just ride w/ my 'fingers-crossed'....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would consider it if you are a safe guy like me. Hard to put a price on walking back to civilization when you have a simple tip over.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was considering one, as I realized my Hepco guards dont protect the bottom of the alternator cover in a wash out, the coolest looking ones I could find was a brand called "t-rex" google "t-rex versys cover" I emailed to check if it fits the previous model years, he replied he was not sure as he did not have one to test on, but studying the mounting points seemed to suggest that it was possible.

But in the end decided it was abit to costly as I was spending too much on farkles...but just wanted to share another option.

2009 V ABS - 80,00KM

LV Evo II | H&B Crash Bars | H&B Journey 55L | LED Voltmeter | PP Windshield Bracket | Puig Windshield w/ Multi Deflector | C&C Shorty Levers | Chaft Mirrors | Puig Rear Hugger | Series R/R | Vac Mod | Tooless Preload Adjuster | Snorkel Remove | EP Radiator Guard | BMW Grips | TS Tank Grips | LED City Lights | Contoured Seat
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

I have no knowledge, but looking at ads for those covers, I've always wondered HOW they would protect in anything other than a 'gentle-side-swipe'.

IF you came down HARD onto a rock...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Good point, Ed - their theory (and thus my question) is the 4mm poly will both disperse and absorb impact before enough force is applied to the stator cover to damage it. I'm not ready to buy that logic outright, and at $90 for the stator cover - they're not giving it away. Mine has 'abrasions', bit no clear impact damage that I can see. I know for sure it would have prevented the scratches!

I don't know if a clutch cover would help because it's up higher, and the water pump is more exposed but still somewhat protected with plastic already.

I've decided to hold off until I can see real-world evidence, and have emailed the company but no response yet today. I'll let you guys know.

Has anybody damaged their stator cover off road? Could be a solution looking for a problem...

Thanks gents!

Ride more, bitch less - secret to good life!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Joe - here's a pic of the stator cover on BIG RED after I low-sided on Mt Graham at 20 to 30 mph.

I "repaired" the scratches on my crash-bars w/ a few WELL PLACED inches of 'electricians tape'.

I, on the other hand, broke a couple of ribs (but NOT my collar-bone!!!...).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

More good intel... thanks again! I think I'll just carry some extra J-B Weld. Probably have now jinxed myself, but WTH.

Ride more, bitch less - secret to good life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode