Before and after Lowering Block installation - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Before and after Lowering Block installation

I forgot to put in the before and after heights of Speedy's Lowering kit and fork lowering. Here they are.

Oh, and a picture of the bigfoot mount.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Does the kickstand have to be shortened when you lower the bike???
Wouldnt the bike be too vertical after lowering it?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 02:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
The anwser is yes. Thats why there is a nice replacement foot. my kit is due here today. Already have the bike up and apart. I ordered a few goodies over the last few weeks. Ups tracking shows everything coming in today. Gonna do the lowering kit and the 16 tooth sprocket tonight.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 03:01 PM

It almost looks in the pics like it lowered 3 " ?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmuch View Post
It almost looks in the pics like it lowered 3 " ?
Yes, that's right. I also cut some out of the seat and now I can just about flat foot it. I'm very happy with the results. It handles just fine and give me a lot more confidence in reaching the ground.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 06:15 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 03:44 PM

I call it finding reverse. I have a KLR that I play with and with the new suspension on it I cannot get enough grip to back up unless I'm on a hill side and I can roll back. I'm 5' 11" with a 30 inch inseem. My wife is 5'8" with a 33 inch inseem. Sometime life is cruel that way. I will have my kit on in a couple hours. Have'nt left work yet.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 04:38 PM

Golfmuch ,

Any chance of you taking the time to post some " How To " phots as you do the work . Also , I am wondering how the bike feels and handles . Reverse would be obvious .
I am also wondering if the lowering links have the same adverse affect on the rear chock travel and causing counter lever problems as well .
If you could do us a really strong review and " how to " , you would be our hero .
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 PM

I have the 30" inseam as well and would like to 2nd what Po-Sloke said. It would be most appreciated if Dallasdon and Golfmuch could review handling characteristics with Speedy's link mod. I have heard some push back against lowering it here locally.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO-SLOKE View Post
Golfmuch ,

Any chance of you taking the time to post some " How To " phots as you do the work . Also , I am wondering how the bike feels and handles . Reverse would be obvious .
I am also wondering if the lowering links have the same adverse affect on the rear chock travel and causing counter lever problems as well .
If you could do us a really strong review and " how to " , you would be our hero .
Here are the original installation instructions for the lowering block and the Big Foot kick stand. I think you can get a very good picture of the installation steps needed. One word of caution though. If you have a hugger on the bike you will need to cut part of it away for the lowering block to seat properly with the locking screw. I have included pictures of how I did that. I also lowered the front forks

As far as handling goes I can tell absolutely no difference after the modification from stock. I am in no way an "expert" rider but do ride somewhat aggressively and have been riding for over 50 years so I can tell if something is amiss. Everything is rock stable and I have yet to get close to dragging the pegs. I did some hard cornering at speed in the mountains of Colorado last week and threw it around quite liberally and was in complete control the whole time.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=Colorado

The only difference was that I could actually reach the ground almost flat footed and it gave me a much greater since of security. I had the seat height cut down by a local upholstery shop and along with the lowering kit modification I was able to lower the seating position almost 3 1/2". With a 28" inseam, it's great. The modification of the stock seat also helped level the seat out so there isn't that sliding into the tank problem. Since then I have put a Corbin seat on and that actually caused my legs to spread a bit further and put me up about 1/2", but I can live with it.

I have no reservations about the stability or safety of this feature for us short inseam folks. I just wish Kawasaki would pay attention and incorporate these features into the bike or at least make them an option that can be added. Then the tall long legged folks would be trying to put more height into the bike I guess. You can't make everyone happy all the time.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 06:14 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:44 AM

I agree with the handleing. I lowered the front to match the drop and I also ride a ZRX so I'm a aggressive rider. The bike feels no different. One week I have it stripped down to the bare bones running through the twisties. This week I have it ready for a Daytona trip. All 3 Givi boxes, tall windshield. The bike really can do it all.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 PM

Good enough for me, really appreciate you guys taking the time!

Just finished ordering one along with the flatfoot at Speedy's Moto Werk website here

Last edited by onewizard; 10-01-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode