30mm ammo cans - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By kenr74

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

30mm ammo cans

I had an old set of Pelican cases that I have been using on different bikes. Wanted something bigger so I looked at the usual Tusk/HT panniers.

Stumbled across these ammo cans and am pretty happy with them. I managed to drop one already and scraped the paint but easy fix. I think they look pretty good on the bike and hold a ton of crap.

Total shipped and then I painted them was around $80 for the set. They are in the 37-38 liter range if I did my math right.

https://www.majorsurplus.com/30-mm-h-d-ammo-can.html

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:58 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
look really good id love to have a set up like that

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 01:07 PM

Garage
Looks bad ass. I like it a lot, well done.

Always trust your cape.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

...and now you have a place to keep the ammo once you get your 30mm gun....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:14 PM

I like it. Now give us some more info. complete details how did you mount them to the rack? Which rack are you using? At 16 pounds each, 32 pounds total, does the weight feel ok? Does that airplane have 30mm guns mounted on it?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

It is just the HT rack. Mounted them using the HT kit. I did have one issue. I mounted them pretty low so I had to just use bolts for the top holes because the HT knobs are so big that the lid would not close. I wanted them low so the passenger had plenty of leg room. I played around with lean angle and tried to not go too low. I'm not a peg dragger so they should be good.

I'm going to look for some smaller knobs that will work since I do like taking the boxes off and putting them in a tent or hotel sometimes when on a trip. I doubt I will notice the weight. When my son and I went two to Alaska my 09 tipped a truck scale at 900 pounds fully loaded. I don't think and extra 10 pounds of boxes will be noticeable.

The Cherokee doesn't have any guns yet. The front can barely get out of the way of the back so I don't think I'll be adding any more weight to it.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
...The Cherokee doesn't have any guns yet. The front can barely get out of the way of the back so I don't think I'll be adding any more weight to it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
...The Cherokee doesn't have any guns yet. The front can barely get out of the way of the back so I don't think I'll be adding any more weight to it.

Pull the motor and put your Versys motor in it. I bet it will be so fast the body will stretch two feet longer, and the wings will be swept back like a jet.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode